Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:28:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Procedurally generated hand drawn style world maps
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Procedurally generated hand drawn style world maps  (Read 2888 times)
syn9
« on: July 29, 2020, 05:02:48 PM »

Hey everyone, I've been working on a procedurally created adventure game and wanted to have world maps that gave the impression that they were hand drawn. This was my process if you're interested:

Here is how the maps started out:

Each square is a zone of terrain, the roads connect major points of interests, like towns, temples, dungeons, etc. The terrain can be deep water, shallow water, grassland, forest, mountains, etc...

Here is a mockup drawing that I did by hand that captures the design intention:

I took the rigid square layout and added noise around the square edges, colored the terrain a canvas color, and applied texturing:

There are points where terrain squares connect at corners causing the islands adjacent to continents to be connected at points. I updated the edge noise algorithm to chop off those corners to break apart the islands and continents. I also applied a bit of lens distortion:

A bunch of different procedurally generated world maps:

Lastly I made sprites from my hand drawn map and added some icons and city names that are all procedurally placed. Here's the in-game version:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 01:25:10 PM »

That's really impressive! The algorithm looks elegant, yet effective, and the results are both convincing and lovely! Very good work, I do think! ^_^

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 01:28:49 PM »

Beautiful!

syn9
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 04:51:43 PM »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic