Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1380207 Posts in 65795 Topics- by 58187 Members - Latest Member: rarbgproxys

August 05, 2020, 05:28:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEX-SANGUIS a dark, art-heavy metroidvania
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: EX-SANGUIS a dark, art-heavy metroidvania  (Read 247 times)
NoahW
Level 0

artist

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2020, 05:42:36 AM »

Howdy dudes! I'm a solo artist/novice programmer here to share progress/get feedback on a metroidvania-esque game I recently started working on. (about a week)

The working title is ex-sanguis, and besides the obvious focuses on action and platforming I want the game to focus greatly on environmental storytelling, interaction, and atmosphere.

The solution I've settled on involves environmental cues (both to draw attention to interactive objects, and create atmosphere) and detailed item/object portraits that are interactive and have some level of animation.

disclaimer: much if not all of the artwork and animations will be heavily refined from the original in the vid.

I've abandoned more game projects than I care to remember, and the reasoning each time is hard to explain... If you've ever taken on a creative project of any kind, you likely understand the feeling you get when you just stop caring about it, you get to a proof of concept point and you just don't care to continue. I've grown to understand that it means I was just going in the wrong direction, visually, conceptually, or thematically, it just wasn't what I was looking for in a project because it wasn't creatively gratifying anymore.

Recently however, I decided to undertake what I feel to be the holy grail of game types, a metroidvania, and I am having the time of my freaking life working on this, I just feel like a bunch of tumblers have fallen into place and I've found what I really wanted to be working on. Obviously it's still VERY early on, and the video only represents about a few days worth of work.

More to come soon I'm sure, but I have much of the concept ironed out, hope you dig it.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:58:24 PM by NoahW » Logged
NoahW
Level 0

artist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 06:59:37 AM »

Working on my first door animation, started last night and finished this morning. I want there to be loads of mechanical components like this so that everything feels alive.

Also updated portrait art for the blood receptacle:

fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 03:28:04 PM »

It's visually all very impressive! I saw some more of your videos also.
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 04:35:36 PM »

It looks rather interesting so far.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the gameplay shapes up.

NoahW
Level 0

artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 03:10:40 PM »

It's visually all very impressive! I saw some more of your videos also.

Thanks man! Yeah I've been through more game projects than I care to remember, they were a good learning experience but I feel like this is the one worth finishing for sure.

It looks rather interesting so far.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the gameplay shapes up.

Glad you dig it dude, and yeah I'm going to try and be pretty thorough about updates, any and all feedback is thoroughly appreciated.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic