Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 08:24:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPoker Quest - a web-based, poker-themed roguelike (2 years in development)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Poker Quest - a web-based, poker-themed roguelike (2 years in development)  (Read 5935 times)
Fragsworth
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2020, 11:39:53 AM »

Hi all!

This is my first time posting to this community. I'm posting about Poker Quest. I'm one of the developers of Clicker Heroes (an incremental game), and I have decided to COMPLETELY change course and make a hardcore, perma-death roguelike. Poker Quest is available to play here: https://playsaurus.com/PokerQuest.html

You traverse a high-fantasy landscape, while fighting monsters using a hand of playing cards (Ace, King, Queen, etc.) to activate your items. You draw cards from the same deck as the enemy, and they use their cards against you.

Poker Quest is written in Haxe, and is compiled to HTML5. I recommend using Chrome or IE. It works in other browsers but you may encounter some issues. Firefox has more trouble than the rest.

It's getting close to being complete in terms of features and balance, the art and UI will take a while to finish, and I want to add a LOT of new heroes at some point.

I would love to hear the community's feedback, particularly about the first-time experience (tutorial), game balance, any usability issues, and any bugs.

- Fragsworth
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:14:28 PM by Fragsworth » Logged
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 06:32:31 AM »

Hi Fragsworth,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

Fragsworth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 08:11:06 AM »

Thanks for the footage! It really helps a lot. As for your comment about mobile, we'll do it if there is enough demand for the game once it's launched on Steam.
Casual42
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 08:59:28 AM »

I remember playing Poker Quest on kong. I love this kind of innovative games. But it felt too punishing with most characters.
I see you've added colors to your art. Cool!
Still getting my ass kicked though. And still runs as sloooow as I remember on kong. A game like this should run smooth like butter, even on a toaster like my computer.
I hope you find success (you might want to switch to an engine with better perf). I wish there were more original games like this instead of the endless dump of copies we see nowadays.
wolf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 05:02:53 AM »

Awesome! The progression structure feels instantly familiar from Spire-type games, but I've never seen poker inspired card mechanics used for a battle core like that. I had a lot of fun playing through until the end of the first map until I got annihilated by Mr Boss Toad (perhaps overpowered? didn't feel like I stood any chance) and can see myself returning to it for more.

I thought the UI did a really good job at providing me with all the info I need to make my decisions (eg having little mouse over tool tips). What I would have liked to have seen is
- Making it more obvious how much damage/block an ability does (I eventually noticed the Sigma gets swapped out for the value when you select cards, but I would have liked this most important of pieces of information to be much bigger / bolder, ie think how prominent hearthstone cards display damage info)
- Doing more to visually communicate what ability the enemy chose (eg doing some animation on the card they use - especially confused me when the cyclops would blink), how much damage was blocked (eg that information being displayed similar to when I get poisoned) etc. A few times I had to resort to the damage log to figure out what happened. The damage log feels like it should be a tool of last resort minimized or at least significantly shrunk by default for the hardcore players to deep dive, but not to get the key info.
- When I first encountered the shop I closed it because that was the only button I noticed. Took a moment to see the tabs. Would have liked it to open by default on one of the tabs already open, or for them at least to be more noticeable.
RobTibbits17
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 01:56:46 AM »

I played Poker Quest on Chrome and it worked great. I didn't encounter any bugs or usability issues, but I did notice that Firefox has some trouble with it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic