Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:35:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow a new unknown developer may promote/market their mobile game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How a new unknown developer may promote/market their mobile game  (Read 2309 times)
GreenTea123
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »

Hi, I've read a lot of different articles about marketing and promoting your app and while all of them had great information, I wanted other opinions. To elaborate further, this would be a breakdown of the situation.

1. No experience whatsoever with mobile game development
2. Lack of any social media following
3. Keeping costs as low as possible
4. Solo developer with no connections

With all this in mind what are some way to market/promote a mobile game? What would be the best way to get people to know said game exists? If you have any personal experiences that would be helpful too. Sorry if what I'm asking is unclear or too complicated and thank you for the help in advance.
piotrone
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 01:50:18 AM »

Hey, I'm also in the same situation so I'd love to hear from others. Here are my thoughts to your second point:

2. Lack of any social media following
Every week I'm investing some time to building my social media following. This will take a long time and a lot of and trial and error.

My plan is to publish content that is meaningful to the community and hopefully get people to follow me because they like what I do. Direct promotion isn't always working and in some case (e.g. like Reddit) not always welcome.

In concrete steps:

1. Choose your goal
What kind of outcome do you want: Twitter follower? Mailing list subscribers? Reddit followers?

2. Test platforms
Pick a few platforms to publish content on. Stick to them for a while and if doesn't work for you change them. E.g. I started with Twitter and the r/gamedev subreddit. I'll keep posting on Twitter but I'll stop on Reddit as that sub isn't very active. You may consider Facebook or the TouchArcade forum, it's up to you, but my advice is to not to spread yourself too thin.

3. Test content
Come up with ideas for content, pick a few and start with those. For example:
  • I'm posting gameplay gifs on Twitter on #screenshotsaturday. My game isn't very viral, so I don't get much traction for now. I hope that when I'll have more "giff-able" gameplay to show this will improve. I recommend the GDC

• Posting on TIGSource Devlog to show how your game is progressing and get feedback could help to you build an audience over time
  • Using social media to help others and answering questions could lead to a slow audience buildup
  • Other ideas: build and share tools, write tutorials or game reviews. I started publishing short video game reviews on Twitter (like this one for A Short Hike or for Guacamelee!) hoping people will like them, but so far the response was ok. I'll keep doing them because I enjoy it, but I may switch to writing tutorial as they may be more useful to people
ThomasJ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 10:42:05 PM »

hey am a Chinese mobile game publisher, and we are focus on collecting some high-quality mobile games to do global publishment, so I wonder if you have some interests on selling your games, or contact a publisher for your game. If you do have some interests, kindly let me know, you can drop me messages on [email protected]!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic