Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:54:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIntravenous - a hardcore stealth/action top-down game
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Intravenous - a hardcore stealth/action top-down game  (Read 5622 times)
bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:30:01 AM »

Intravenous has been released on July 26th of 2021! Be sure to grab the game if you've been waiting for it!

Release date trailer!

Below you'll find multiple devlogs of Intravenous:

Second devlog which shows more of stealth and some new stuff is now up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVu-RpaPcw4

The first devlog, which goes over the basics and is largely outdated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQl68q_FuPE

A soundtrack sample to get a taste of what the game has music-wise Wink :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpSF1e0sG5k

It's a hardcore stealth/action game, with heavy emphasis on stealth. The stealth gameplay itself is reminiscent of the early Splinter Cell games (it's sort of a love letter to those games), with combat that you'd expect to see in a top-down game.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:36:45 AM by bulvinykas » Logged
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 11:46:32 PM »

I like the style. But from glancing through the video I haven't seen much of the "Stealth" you claim to put so much emphasis on. Shooting, weapons, nice... ok. But can you silently disable guards? Move their bodies? Peak through windows? Steal keys? Poison coffee? :-)

Go for it! I'll keep an eye on it

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 11:48:12 PM »

I like the style. But from glancing through the video I haven't seen much of the "Stealth" you claim to put so much emphasis on. Shooting, weapons, nice... ok. But can you silently disable guards? Move their bodies? Peak through windows? Steal keys? Poison coffee? :-)

Go for it! I'll keep an eye on it

Yeah, despite talking about how the emphasis is on stealth I completely forgot to show features that are there to allow for stealth gameplay lol. I'll mention those in a follow-up devlog.
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 12:17:56 AM »

Nice work, it got a nice MGS vibe to it.
The only thing I find a bit confusing is the player sight area, it gives the impression that the player produces light visually vise.

Do you plan to make a Steam coming soon page for this project?

bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 01:32:46 AM »

Nice work, it got a nice MGS vibe to it.
The only thing I find a bit confusing is the player sight area, it gives the impression that the player produces light visually vise.

Do you plan to make a Steam coming soon page for this project?

Thanks! You're not the first to note the bright player vision, so I'll most likely tone it down.
As for a Steam page - not yet. As you can see in the video, the majority of actor (player/AI) assets are not yet finished, so having a "coming soon" page with unfinished assets is a bit weird, haha.
With that said, the game is not coming soon. I estimate a release somewhere in the spring of 2021, which isn't exactly anytime soon :D
bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 11:50:16 AM »

Hey folks! Back at it again with a new devlog. This time it goes more in-depth regarding stealth, since despite the game being a stealth game first and foremost, I neglected to talk more about what there is that makes stealth gameplay possible. I also briefly discuss some new stuff that I was working on. Take a look! Smiley

bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 02:11:06 PM »

Heya! Back at it once more in here with a soundtrack sample for the game.

Check it out here:

It is composed by the very talented Xtrullor, check him out here: https://www.youtube.com/c/xtrullor/videos
In terms of storyline progression, this track set is played at the point when the protagonist has come to terms with what has happened to him, his mind now set on the objective.

I will be uploading a new devlog soon'ish, I want to document more changes before I do!
bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 02:33:43 PM »

Hey everyone!

This is a quick post to let you guys know that the Steam store page for 'Intravenous' is now public!
You can take a look at it here.
You might notice that the art is rather rushed, or seems unfinished - that's because it is. In fact, currently I have practically no art for the game's cover, and other such things.
I wasn't planning on having a Steam store page for the game this early, but I had to make one, and make it public, for something cool upcoming on Steam. Smiley

The game's preliminary release date is set to May 21st of 2021. This is a rough estimate, and it's entirely possible the game will be finished earlier than that, or it might take more time to finish it. Regardless, the good news is the biggest chunk of work is already done.

What's left now is to:
1. finish up the remaining game levels
2. work on the levels in an iterative fashion to make them better and prettier
3. finish up work-in-progress art
4. play-test the absolute hell out of the game, so that there is NO repeat of the mess that was the launch of Game Dev Studio.
5. and lastly - release it.

I do hope you're excited for Intravenous - I sure am! It's very close to the stealth-action game I've always wanted to play, and it plays almost exactly how I wanted it to play!

Thank you for reading, and I hope you'll love this game when it's finally out!

I'll post new devlogs here once I make them, so this thread, in addition to Steam, is the place to be if you wish to stay up-to-date.
bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 06:10:07 AM »

Hey folks! New devlog time! #3 in the series.
There are a lot of changes mentioned in there, so be sure to watch the whole video!

You can also wishlist the game now on Steam! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1486630/Intravenous/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 10:27:53 AM by bulvinykas » Logged
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 10:37:01 PM »

Thanks for the update bulvinykas! I have not played many games in your genre but found the concept of AI avoiding obvious killzones very interesting. Keep up the good work!

bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 12:35:28 AM »

Thanks for the update bulvinykas! I have not played many games in your genre but found the concept of AI avoiding obvious killzones very interesting. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Killzone prevention/anti-camp was pretty much necessary. I looked at how people were playing the game and noticed they would often try to cheese enemies by camping.
Once I added anti-camp, suddenly they had to go out and face the enemies, or get by without getting into combat. Huge difference, and said combat became a lot more dynamic, since the enemies scatter off everywhere and basically prepare what is essentially an ambush for the player.

So far everyone who has played the game loved this change. Smiley
bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 12:06:10 AM »

Hey guys, good news - the demo for Intravenous is now live! Check it out here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1486630/Intravenous/

If you like the game, be sure to wishlist it! Smiley
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 11:32:59 PM »

That's great news, congratulations on releasing the demo!

bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 05:55:02 AM »

That's great news, congratulations on releasing the demo!

Thank you very much for the kind words! The launch has been super smooth so far, a lot better than I expected. :D
bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 10:01:40 AM »

Heya folks! Work on IV is going steadily; adding new weapons and things the player can use. Meanwhile, have another sample of the game's soundtrack. Wink

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 11:26:43 PM »

Sounds great! I like how the music transitions between foreboding and really fast and action packed.

bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 10:33:22 AM »

Sounds great! I like how the music transitions between foreboding and really fast and action packed.

Xtrullor's quite good at making music like that!

The Steam Game Festival is over, but work on Intravenous is far from over! I took some time off from working on the game after the festival, as I noticed hints of burn-out, and now that I've rested a bit it's time to get back into it.

So let's get on to the exciting part: the new stuff.

1. Dumping bodies in dumpsters

Pretty straight-forward: dump a body in a dumpster and forget about it. Knocked out or dead - doesn't matter, they won't be found.
However they're a rather big luxury. There aren't a lot of them and they're single use - dump one body, and you can't stuff any more in there ever again.

2. Night vision goggles (NVGs)

The recurring feedback that I got is that the player view cone clashed with the lights too much. So I've addressed that twofold:
1. reduced the intensity of the player view cone. It's still there, but illuminates the view area far less.
2. added NVGs.

I never intended to add NVGs since the player's view cone was meant to be sort-of the NVGs - it illuminated the view area without giving the player's position away. Still, the recurring theme in feedback was that it was too intense. So to remedy that I added NVGs.

Initially I was going to make the NVGs increase the overall visibility everywhere, making pitch-black areas no longer pitch-black. However that came with a big caveat: NVGs making everything visible meant players would opt to always use them, and so the game would end up looking green for everyone, all the time. It also meant that they provided a huge advantage to visibility.

Naturally this led to the following compromise: while the view cone provides far illumination, NVGs illuminate the surrounding area in a shorter radius. Perfect for pitch-black areas when you need to be aware of your surroundings. Looks nice, too!

3. Tranquilizer rifle

Given that it's a stealth game, any additional tools allowing for more stealth-related scenarios are always a nice addition.
The tranquilizer rifle is sort-of the tazer's bigger variant, with several differences:
1. it uses the primary (rifle) weapon slot
2. it weighs more and makes more noise when holstered
3. it has greater projectile range
4. it puts enemies to sleep after a short while, as opposed to the tazer's instant KO

The timed effectiveness is both a positive and a negative.
Negative because it means you can't just dose someone with sleepy juice and have them fall to the ground instantly.
Positive because it synergizes with the tazer - you can take out two nearby guards by dosing the first with the tranquilizer, and following up with a tazer shot to the second guard after a short while - stealthy ranged takedown of two guards at once!

4. Throwable knife

Wanted a semi-quiet ranged weapon that kills on impact, but don't want to carry a weapon with you? The throwable knife is what you're looking for.
It can be just as easily used as a melee weapon, and it's quite effective at that, too!
However, given that it's a lethal weapon, that means it will leave blood and dead bodies everywhere. Not good if you're trying to leave as little traces of your presence as possible.
The back kill now also requires the presence of this weapon in the player's inventory.

5. Motion sensor mines

If you don't care about stealth and are all about combat, these will be perfect for you.
They explode and send shrapnel flying everywhere upon explosion, sort of like frag grenades, except they're straight-up death traps.
Don't get caught in the blast, and DON'T go running around next to one!
If you place one of these and decide that this isn't what you had in mind - have no fear, you can pick these up at any point! ...provided you don't trigger the motion sensor.

Thanks for reading, see you in the next devlog!
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 11:49:23 PM »

All these five sound like fun interactions. I especially like how you adressed the "problem" with the view cone by giving the player different tools (normal and NVG), where both have their use cases. It might also promote trying different play styles, which is great.

bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 11:21:50 AM »

All these five sound like fun interactions. I especially like how you adressed the "problem" with the view cone by giving the player different tools (normal and NVG), where both have their use cases. It might also promote trying different play styles, which is great.

Oh definitely! In my testing I've already found myself preferring to use the tranquilizer over grabbing a back-up gun. More options for the player, more playstyles, just better all around in the end. Super happy with these new tools! :D
bulvinykas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 12:33:19 PM »

New devlog now up on YouTube! It documents the changes between devlogs #3 and #4. Smiley
Things of note are:
- 3 new tools - tranquilizer rifle, throwable knife, motion sensor mine
- subtle improvements to UI
- huge improvements to GPU performance
- new gameplay mechanics for stealth and combat playstyles alike

Be sure to check it out here:

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic