Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:03:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGust of Wind - a story driven stealth game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gust of Wind - a story driven stealth game  (Read 1561 times)
Smuli
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2020, 05:06:00 AM »

Gust of Wind
A story driven stealth game

Overview

Gust of Wind is shaping out to be a story-driven stealth game, introducing a ruinous world shaped by long-gone civilization with pneumatic and wheelwork technology. Player takes the role of a sneaky seagull, utilizing his stealth and climbing skills to stay out of plain sight throughout missions involving sabotage in enemy camps, thieving, spying and such. The feel of the game takes inspiration from games like Thief, Deus Ex and the stealth missions in Operation Flashpoint.

Setting

There's a war going on with a barbarian force, fueled by ancient pneumatic war machines, which makes pressurized air a very sought after commodity. Player's home town is on the verge of being conquered, and its ability to defend itself is dependent on a ragtag group of villagers to sail across the seas to fill the air tanks. The remaining compressors in the world are very few and far between, and there's a constant race to gain control over them.

Development

So far, I have finished coding and animating the climbing system, implemented land movement and (very rudimentary) swimming, as well as more recently rowing and crane mechanics.

Now that the basic movement is functional, the next benchmark will be the first mission / tutorial.

I've made everything visible so far myself in Unity, but presently my coder friend is also helping me in the form of a dialogue system. I have some 8 years of game industry experience as a graphic artist, and I'm working on this alongside my freelance work making game trailers.

Project website: www.moodpiecetrailer.net/gustofwind

---------------------------

First off, here's a demo showing the movement:

And a bunch of screenshots:

I'll start working on the first mission next, and will post some updates when we're further along.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:15:25 AM by Smuli » Logged

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 05:25:28 AM »

pneumatic and wheelwork technology

Like the sound of it. I've also been fascinated by steampunk themes, but found it hard to achieve polished look. Your demo video looks very polished. The scope looks vast for size of the team, but I hope you will figure it out. I liked playing Dishonoured in this genre (stealth and sorta steampunk). Looking forward to how it goes. All the best.

Smuli
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 11:23:08 AM »

Thanks for your feedback! My plan is to have a sequence of pretty small sandboxes as levels. There's no strict schedule so the progress will be slow but sure. Smiley

I liked the first Dishonored too, haven't played the second one but I probably should. I plan on the stealth missions of this game being in first person too.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 03:08:24 PM »

More stealth devlogs! Nice. Love the artwork and context so far.

However, after reading the description (stealth, sandbox missions etc) and seeing the video, I am a little confused. Why is the bird sailing? where does the ship fit into the game?

Smuli
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 12:27:37 AM »

diegzumillo - Thanks for the feedback! I'm planning to include stealth and mostly daytime story missions pretty much one after the other. The ship on the video is the ship sent to get pressurized air, and it'll be a kind of hub for the player character and his crew throughout the story. I understand the description and imagery have a bit of a dissonance at the moment but I'll work on the first mission next, after which there'll be some stealth to show as well. Smiley

Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 11:57:02 AM »

I hope not all levels will be limited to the ship. After a time it can get tedious cause of backtracking.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 12:44:37 PM »

diegzumillo - Thanks for the feedback! I'm planning to include stealth and mostly daytime story missions pretty much one after the other. The ship on the video is the ship sent to get pressurized air, and it'll be a kind of hub for the player character and his crew throughout the story. I understand the description and imagery have a bit of a dissonance at the moment but I'll work on the first mission next, after which there'll be some stealth to show as well. Smiley

oh that's cool! I like small hubs between missions. It's much better than a bunch of windows and dialogs to do things like choose the next mission, manage gear, upgrade points, etc.

Smuli
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 01:46:51 AM »

I've been working on door animation and code, as well as modular ship pieces, of which you'll see more in the future

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 02:53:54 AM »

pneumatic and wheelwork technology.

I guess you've already seen this?

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2013/01/mechanical-transmission-of-power-stangenkunst.html
Smuli
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 11:51:18 PM »

JobLeonard - The articles from that site have been a great resource to learn from, and I've bumped into that contraption as well, thanks for reminding me though. There's also a Youtube video of it kind of working, but weird and fascinating that it worked over so long distances!

Jayesh
Level 0

Solo Indie Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 05:36:33 AM »

Check out this youtube channel. This guy has assembled hundreds of mechanical systems in CAD software and posted the animations of their simulation on his channel. Very useful resource.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thang010146/videos

Smuli
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 10:50:54 PM »

ContrailSurfer - Thanks for the link! Most of the machinery I model already have some references on what they should look like, but if I want to "invent" something new, maybe that could be a good reference to check out how to make things look like they'd actually work.

I've been working on modular ship pieces and FPS movement (it switches on automatically when player gets inside, or in this case below the top deck):

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic