Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:40:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[Feedback] Please help me improve level design
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Feedback] Please help me improve level design  (Read 624 times)
Jego
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2020, 12:09:29 AM »

Hello! I just made my very first browser game with unity. Its a cooperative 2D game that supports gamepad input and is free to play in the browser. In it, you balance a board until the timer runs out.

Im open to feedback on all aspects of the game, from bugs to gameplay to development. But im mainly looking for advice on my level design! Playing it through so often made it hard for me to judge if the first levels are too easy/later levels are too hard.

You can find the game on my itch.io page: https://jmgd.itch.io/jungle-balance

Thank you in advance!  Cool

Teearr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 02:39:30 PM »

I played and stopped at roughly 2 minutes into the first level.

Things I liked:
  • This being a browser game because it made it very easy for me to jump in and playtest. (I don't like downloading files only to delete them after I'm done playing)
  • The title screen has great presentation through nice graphics and fun background music

Things I disliked:
  • No tutorials. It would be nice if I was "forced" to play something simple to teach me the core controls and goal of this game
  • This game doesn't seem to be playable as single-player. I have no friends and prefer to playtest games with single-player content.
Jego
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 01:30:18 AM »

Thank you for the feedback!

For the single player aspect you are absolutely right. I'm adding the option to select between 1 or 2 players and will roll it out over the weekend. It would open up the game to a lot more people yes.

As for the tutorial it's also a good point, I will have a think about how to incorporate this.

Have a nice weekend!
Jego
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 06:50:37 AM »

Hey Teearr, if you wouldn't mind playing again I think both of the things you disliked are improved now. There's the added possibility of playing singleplayer (where the character is 1.5 times heavier than coop for increased playability) and also the new character select screen will make it clear which buttons to use.
DavidFair1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 05:17:45 PM »

Really fun!
As far as level design goes, I couldn't figure out what to do and died 3 or 4 times, then after that it was really easy. Like the previous poster said, a tutorial would be a good idea. For mechanics - I noticed after a while that almost regardless of how tilted the platform is, you can always jump, so if you press space repeatedly, you can basically save yourself no matter what. Lastly a minor point: when you choose your character, clicking the arrows didn't change anything (only pressing "a" and "d" worked). Otherwise, cool game! Would love to see more challenges added.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic