Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:15:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUniverse Quest - everything about rockets and space exploration
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Universe Quest - everything about rockets and space exploration  (Read 7552 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2020, 01:21:21 AM »

It's time for Universe Quest to have some brand logos and images.

I'm anything but artist, so I'm really not sure about results, but I guess, it's better than just 'Universe Quest' written with some font.

Above is 'poster' image, in full scale version can be used like 'hero' image. It looks way better in full-scale, however there's quite limited horizontal space here on TIG. Below is product logotype, something I want to associate with product in general.

For the first time in my life, I worked with something better than just Paint or Pixelformer. Smiley I used Krita to put together those images.

Looking good!

(the disk is cut off on the top right)
Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2020, 02:28:35 AM »

I'm guessing that's where the shadow was & it's turned into alpha somewhere Sad

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2020, 04:07:40 AM »

@Rogod: exactly. All nice Saturn images have this cut-off because of shadow. Sad If it's noticeable clearly on first look and if it makes odd feeling, I should change it. I can't say as creator as I'm by default biased, so any such feedback is welcome.

If I'll stumble upon another nice reference image of Saturn (or any generic public domain planet with ring) without cut-off, I'll change it. I found some (mostly artistic impressions), but it was not clear if it's public domain or not, so here I want to be 100% secure, using only public domain sources.

Another option should be placing something there (star ?) but this can contradict simplicity of the logo.

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2020, 01:32:33 PM »

-= Universe Quest v0.1.3 =-

[web page]

Hi All!

New version of Universe Quest is uploaded to server. Short resume what's new:

- gallery with relevant images for every rocket / mission with nice image carousel
- done with translations, current content is now in all 3 languages (English, Spanish, Slovak) and I'll keep it like that for all new content
- all rockets now have detailed stages info (name, manufacturer, engine used, thrust, fuel/oxidizer type)
- most texts are now left-aligned instead of centered (thanks to @Rogod for suggestion Smiley). Tables will require more polish, it's further in my list.

See you in space! Gomez

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:47:54 PM by vdapps » Logged

Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2020, 03:33:43 PM »

:D! The paragraphs are looking much better now and the whole UI seems nice and coherent (especially with that Android-style slidey photo gallery Wink )

As for your trouble with the shadow on Saturn, I'd suggest just filling it in with a dark colour, something like this:

(I wouldn't use this version; I only did it quickly in Gimp, so it's a bit rough lol)

Great post presentation too! (Some other dev logs really miss the mark on this aspect in my opinion)

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2020, 05:26:53 PM »

Thanks Rogod! This suggestion about Saturn is great. It did not came on my mind. Here, it's clear I'm no artist. Mainly in lower res, if done right, should be flawless and not visible.

I'm happy you like presentation. So my OCD is good for something. Grin I noticed as well, that many threads are underestimating formatting, which is strange, because exactly here on TIG, formatting a post is easy and enjoyable task.

I see that you're skilled in design so it's pleasure for me to take advices from you. Gentleman

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2020, 11:38:43 PM »

Looking at Universe Quest brings me back to my childhood using Microsoft Encarta 98 (and also Norton Commander). Your project is heartwarmingly nerdy, I love it!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2020, 01:34:52 AM »

"Let there be justice for all... let there be peace... for all"

"It's one small step for man"

"You don't understand, Willy was a salesman..."

"Say simply, very simply... with hope... good morning"

Oh wait, that was Encarta '95 Tongue
vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2020, 09:03:04 AM »

Thank you both!

I remember well Norton Commander, however I never experienced Encarta myself (I can just watch YouTube vids now). Being from East Europe, in 90's such stuff was quite inaccessible to me back then. However, I'm happy that it recall Encarta to so many people, as Encarta is famous.

In further development of Universe Quest, I want to implement also 3D solar system where you can fly around, I want to challenge it and see what visual fidelity I'll be able to achieve in 3D. However, I think I want stick with this nerdy look for 2D / encyclopedic part (tables, info sheets), etc. Maybe this will somehow also define the product.

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2020, 03:51:34 AM »

First of all, I strongly admire the dedication and time you put towards this! This might not be to my interest, but from a fellow developer I appreciate a lot the effort and dedication you put towards this.

One quick comment on the logo - is it correct that the ring around the planet suddenly stops? This caught my attention, not sure if its intended.

Have fun working on the game, that's what game dev is all about! If you plant the seed right, give it all the love you can the fruits will eventually come and grow.

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2020, 05:42:01 AM »

Thanks Smerik for very kind words!

Rocketry and space exploration is my next big hobby to programming so yes, I dedicate to it a lot of time.

Here on TIG I don't expect lot of fans in such hard-core area, but who knows (I plan to showcase it later to more hard-core 'rockets / space exploration' communities). In the end, in current state it's not even 'indie game' (main purpose of this forum), but still an 'indie app' (which will become game later).  Smiley However community here is very kind, vivid and helpful, so it's always pleasure to post and keep my main devlog here.

Your remark to logo is nice example of subtle kick I sometime need and I'm thankful for it. It was already discussed with @Rogod earlier. Yes, it's not ok for this cut-off, I'm just no artist, and I was precipitately satisfied with result. Source is public domain image of Saturn from NASA and was hard to find public domain Saturn without cut-off (which is in reality planet's shadow). I'm naturally biased, so it was not hurting my eyes so much as to other neutral viewer.

Such feedback shows me I have to do better, @Rogod already proposed me one possible nice solution, so fixing logo is further in my todo list.  Gentleman

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2020, 06:23:33 PM »

-= Universe Quest v0.1.4 =-

[web page]

Hi All!

New version of Universe Quest is uploaded to server. Here you can find what's new:

- it's the first version coming with installer rather than zip (more user friendly for not so skilled users)
- main feature of update: in image galleries, there is now also full-screen mode
- added 'Credits' screen. As I'm using lot of sources to build UQ encyclopedia, there are my thanks to most influential ones.
- added missions and rockets for Q2 1961

And as always small WEBP animation. Btw, you can find a better quality video presentation of new update on UQ website. I was just unable to embed MP4 directly here. :-/

Finally got to Project Mercury and Vostok programs! Gomez

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2020, 10:42:38 PM »

Very nice, keep it up! I just realized how little I know about individual space missions, although I love that stuff and was obsessed with the idea of space exploration when I was younger.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2020, 08:41:32 AM »

Last time I looked at this I somehow missed that these real missions were catalogued in it. That's really interesting stuff! Looks really neat with that smooth scrolling too. Grin

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »

Thank you both! Yes, those are real missions and real rockets!

My goal in UQ is to "distill" those missions which are most interesting for most of enthusiasts. That's space exploration, scientific, manned and "achievement" missions (e.g. first time geosynchronous orbit reached even if it was not space exploration nor scientific mission). From rockets, those are all orbital rockets and most interesting suborbital ones (e.g. Saturn IA for first Apollo test launches, etc..).

I found that in most sources on web, either they try to have all missions in DB (so it's thousands of entries, with majority of 'not so interesting' launches, so it can be overwhelming) or oppositely, covering only small portion, focusing only on one program, etc.. So I try to fill the gap and soon I want to start implementing sandboxed environment to it. Most challenging will be connect sandboxed gameplay with encyclopedic part. In a way, that going over / learning about those missions and rockets will be fun and integral part of gameplay. Smiley

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2020, 10:01:24 AM »

-= Universe Quest v0.1.5 =-

[web page]

Hi All!

This version was prepared with slower pace, because of Christmas and I don't want to burn myself out. Smiley

All in all, you can find there missions and rockets for second half of 1961, plus I added new screen with links to Universe Quest pages on social networks (Instagram / Facebook), to make circle of media for the game more complete. Everyone who stumble upon Universe Quest on social media first can get to the game, and anyone who stumble upon Universe Quest game first, can get to its social media from within the game.

This time, I'm posting without animations, as no important new feature, which should be shown animated, was added.

As of highlights of missions/rockets added, 1961 was very rich in spaceflight. Vostok program on the side of USSR and Mercury program on the side of US. In October 1961, Saturn I rocket flown for the first time, it was the most powerful rocket at the time and marked the beginning of very important era.

As always, you can download Universe Quest through the link above, it comes with handy Windows installer now.

See you in space and PF 2021!! I hope, we'll see SpaceX Starship flying at least suborbital in the coming year! Gomez

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2020, 10:52:57 PM »

Nice, thanks for the update!

This version was prepared with slower pace, because of Christmas and I don't want to burn myself out. Smiley

Yes, don't forget to take some time off in between. I feel this is especially tough nowaday, because many of us work on our games from home and we are at home a lot now. Let's try to relax a bit Wink

Have a good start into 2020 vdapps!

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2020, 12:17:16 PM »

Thanks, igualmente para ti! Smiley I guess you meant 2021. Grin Please, no 2020 again. Cheesy

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2020, 01:27:38 PM »

All in all, you can find there missions and rockets for second half of 1961
What is the process for adding this stuff like? Is it "just" manual data insertion or is there anything more to it?
vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2020, 02:45:50 PM »

Hi @JobLeonard, thanks for your interest. Smiley

1. First is research for given period. I don't want to omit any important mission / rocket, some of them are 'only' suborbital (e.g. first Saturn I launch, which was most heavy launch at its date, so very important IMO). So I'm following some websites which are best for chronological order of launches (all important sources which I'm using are in Universe Quest with my thanks).

2. When I have hand-picked missions for given period, then goes studying. Basic source is wikipedia, but I end up at various web pages for more details. Mainly for some less known missions (e.g. on Project Mercury there is good reliable info just on wiki, but for early Soviet rocket launches, I had to search deeper, as wikipedia was very brief or none). Also for rockets technical details wikipedia is not very precise.

3. Then goes images download. Must be public domain or license allowing commercial sharing.

4. Last goes filling new entries in json files which is in fact my DB. One json file is for missions, one for rockets. Engine is chewing up those json files and making this nice table and details page you can see in screenshots. For free text description of missions/rockets, I'm writing everything in English, Spanish and Slovak, so sometimes it's boring, same text three times, just make it stylistically correct in given language.

So in the end, to answer your question, it's manual adding into files in format which my engine can chew. But as you can see, I can add like 1-3 missions in one day session (3-4 hours). The worst is if there's scarce info about some mission/rocket. Then I spend most time just by digging around the web.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic