Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:25:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpeedy Square - Infinite plateformer on mobile
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Speedy Square - Infinite plateformer on mobile  (Read 747 times)
protokoll-studio
« on: August 30, 2020, 09:09:47 AM »

Update 15.10.2020: Speedy Square is now avaible on Google Play

Hello everybody,

I'm here to present you a new game project on Android. For the moment, this game doesn't have a definitive name because it's not the most important Smiley

I already had the opportunity to create Snowball Runner and Snowball, a shooting game available on PC, Mac OS and Linux. Yes, I like snow haha but this one goes in a completely different graphic style and gameplay.

In short
The player's goal is to jump a square on vertical platforms scrolling up and down for as long as possible. As the speed increases, the player will have to press the screen faster and faster in order to reach the next platform.

The player's best score can be stored in a database to have an extra challenge in front of other players.

Here is a small GIF

As you can see, the project is only at the beginning of its development (especially seeing the particles that are still in the wrong place but the speed is already increasing little by little Smiley ).
The mechanics of the game is already present, which is, in my opinion, already quite good. Concerning the visuals, I would like to start with a little retro-neon style. Something simple as you can see on this gif

Moreover, if the player wishes, he can restart his game at the same place, keeping his score and having the base speed, where he made a game over by watching an announcement. Otherwise, he can restart his game from the beginning.

Even if the project is only at its beginning, I remain open to any ideas and remarks Smiley

See you next time and have a good sunday

You can follow me on twitter : https://twitter.com/protokoll_sto
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:03:37 AM by protokoll-studio » Logged
protokoll-studio
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 10:31:46 PM »

Hello everybody Smiley

The first little thing I will talk to you is the calcul I wrote to make the angular velocity working for the player. It was a little difficult because the mathematics and I are not friends. I wrote an article about that if you are interested in Smiley

Second point: I added new things on the prototype of my game. The most important is the color of the player that change during the game. It works like a charm but I want to add that change for the plateform too:

Sorry for the really bad quality of that gif  Giggle

What are your thought

Next things I will implement are :
- Adding that change color on the plateform
- Adding coins
- Adding a plateform you don't need to touch
- Adding pike (I don't know if it's the good word)

Thank you for reading me (with my bad english knowledge haha)

Have a good day and it will be a pleasure to read you Smiley
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:22:41 AM by protokoll-studio » Logged
protokoll-studio
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 08:33:06 PM »

Hello everybody,

Here are informations about my game project Smiley
I fixed some bugs like the speed but also added new features :
- You can now collect 3 differents coins who give you points (1, 5, 10) . It is calculate with your finale score
- The speed is not unlimited. It will stop increasing at certain speed.
- At ~300 points, you can catch a "bonus" who decrease your speed for a little moment

Next step are :
- Improving the UI
- Improving the gameplay
- Fix bugs
- Add a leaderboard
- Find a name for the game

If you have any suggestion for the game, please tell me Smiley

Have a nice day and thanks for reading me
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 08:41:30 PM by protokoll-studio » Logged
protokoll-studio
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 08:29:09 AM »

Hello everybody,

I come back to do a little up.

Since the beginning of the week, I started to integrate a MySQL database to be able to save the players' scores. Requests are made in POST/GET and thus processed in PHP.

Now, you can see directly the ranking via the Leaderboard available in the game.
Here is a small preview (please note that the UI is not finished Cheesy )

What's really nice is to be able to see the testers trying to beat the best score all the time. It's so nice to see that.
If you want to test the game during the development and giving me your feedback, a discord is available here : https://discord.gg/tApn7vK

Thanks to those who follow me Smiley
protokoll-studio
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 11:23:06 PM »

Hello everybody Smiley ,

Here are new informations about the game:

The player can now save his new best score when the game is over. You will directly see what is your online rank.

It's interessing to add that online leaderboard. It gives an other challenge for the player.

For this version, I also added :
- A loading screen
- View top 100 best score instead of 10
- Change a little bit the UI (and it is not the final version Smiley )
- Show the rank of the player when the game is over
- Fixing multiples bug

For the next version, I will work on the UI and improving the Leaderboard (like the security) and adding other new features. I will also make a video of the gameplay to show you a real game Smiley

Oh and yeah ! If you have any suggestion for the game, please tell me Smiley . Currently, I have Twirling Square. What do you think?

By the way, sorry for my bad english '^^
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:37:07 PM by protokoll-studio » Logged
protokoll-studio
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 09:59:03 PM »

Hello everybody

A lot of things have been added to this project (as well as others have been removed):
  • At the end of each game, the player's rank is displayed before the player can save it.
  • Small animation of the score when the player takes a coin
  • Added music and some effects when the player takes pieces
  • Possibility to mute the sound
  • The leaderboard now contains the top 100 best scores
  • Added status text (player offline, successful backup)
  • Creation of an icon for the game (a very simple icon)
  • Definitive name for the game: Speedy square

The icon in question of the game :

Currently, I am working on a new platform that contains a spade that should be avoided.
You will tell me "But hey PROTOKOLL? How do" ... Everything is planned. The player can now make a double jump. That is to say that after having already jumped once, he can return to the platform from which he jumped by clicking again on the screen. Ingenious isn't it ? Wink

The UI is also in my to-do list and it's no small task. But it's still doable.

In any case, there is still a lot to do but I can see the end of the project nicely.

By the way, if you want, you can subscribe to the newsletter to be informed when the game will be online Smiley
protokoll-studio
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »

Hello everybody

Multiples changes have been made for my indie game "Speedy Square" like : a new logo, new plateforms, new UI, new gameplay and so on. And the best : I have uploaded a gameplay video of the game Smiley

Logo
It took me multiple sleepless night to search, find and draw the best logo… Just kidding. It took me only 2 minutes. But I put my inspiration on it so… Yeah, multiples colors because the square change constantly his colors during the game.

UI
I completely change the UI with retro-pixel art.
As you can see, I added some bloom effect directly to the text. Like on one of those old arcade game Smiley

Gameplay & Video

I have implemented 2 news plateforms : the first one (blue) will increase your speed and the second (green) will slow down you speed. The blue plateform appears when you reach 2000 points and the green when you reach a certain speed.

A video is better to show you what I have implemented :

And now?
I almost finished the game. I need to test again the game and find others bugs and what I can improve or add.

Stay tuned for more informations  Coffee.

You can follow me on twitter or on my website 
protokoll-studio
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »

Hello everyone  Ninja

The development of the game comes nicely at the end.
I was able to work on a lot of bugfix and additions of some features such as the infinite vertical parallax background. What do you think about it ? Isn'it too much?

Sorry for that artefacts on the plateforms (which are cool) but can you see the background?  Well, hello there!

I think the game will be soon available. Certainly october/november... Of this year of course 

You can follow me on twitter or on my website
protokoll-studio
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 02:03:21 AM »

Hello everybody,

Finally! I am happy to show you my third game developed for Android and made with Unity 3D.

Here is a little trailer:

Speedy Square is an exciting infinite platform runner game in which you can become the best! Jump, collect coins and come to be the best player on the online leaderboard!

Try to jump between different plateforms while the speed is constantly increasing.

After 3 month of development, the game is available on Google Play

Thank you to the community of tigsource and have fun Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic