Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:39:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGame Flea Market - Yes/No?
Poll
Question: Would you as a developer allow your game to be RE-sold digitally?
No, I don't want my game being given to second hand owner, since I don't get a cut. - 1 (50%)
Yes, I'm fine if my digital game will be traded on flea market - 1 (50%)
I'm not sure. Would it profit or damage my sales. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Flea Market - Yes/No?  (Read 2260 times)
Deviator
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2020, 11:39:16 PM »

Hi,

Short question:
Are you against or pro "Flea market", "bazaar", ability when your developed game can be resold by owner of a digital copy?

Long version:
Right now it is not allowed and even possible technically, to trade "licence" or give it away to another owner.

But let's pretend GOG suddenly offers to trade games with other users, whether it is for money or other "tradable" games.
Would you as a developer allow your game to be "tradable".

Obviously, gamers will benefit if gamer which owns digit game copy can re-sell it for portion of price.
But game developers are in dubious situation, devs do not get any money from resale.

My personal experience says that if your game or software is being pirated, it surprisingly gives opposite result - a sales boost. AAA games corps surely think otherwise.

Idea of a flea market is potentially a very long and paradigma shifting discussion. And if you are a small developer, and your game does not cost arm and a leg, then potential buyer can evaluate your 15 bucks game as an asset which does not deprecate in 100% after 2h of possesion Smiley. Like a cheap Switch cartridge of a Sonic Mania for 30 bucks, since you can re-sell it for 15.

What do you think?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 08:16:46 AM »

I love pirates and pirating. I'm against the flea market, because it feels like another nail in the coffin of a free internet, and a free world. Digital goods feel so weird and arbitrary to me.

I'll probably flip-flop on this but that's my stance right now...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic