Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:10:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Art direction, feedback needed (Video update!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Art direction, feedback needed (Video update!)  (Read 3780 times)
LeaflessE
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2020, 04:39:41 AM »

Hey folks, we are working on a new game and are looking for some feedback on the art direction we are taking.

*update*
Hey folks, we are back with an update on our project, this time with a video!  Grin It's still a work in progress, but feedback is always welcome  Smiley

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 04:41:08 AM by LeaflessE » Logged
blackarm
Level 0

VALHALLA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 11:32:53 AM »

Not an expert, but personally I feel like the colors need to be tweaked and aren't very complementary; maybe try warmer variants. It could just be that the voxel based graphics have a jarring contrast with the smooth gradients. Everything sort of looks muddied together in the color department, the saturation is a bit much imo, and I'm having trouble picking where my eyes should be focusing.

Personally, like with 2D pixel art, I think all of the pixels, or voxels in this case, should complement each other size-wise. If you mix and match, I don't know what to call it right now, varying "resolutions" it starts to look oddly thrown together. Personal preference would be to base all of your designs around a common base. (tl;dr: Your character looks to be too high definition compared to the rest of the world.) Obviously, everything can be built from the most minuscule voxel or pixel, but at some point it would be jarring, like throwing a realistic model into minecraft. Maybe you can play around with the facial outlining and tone it down while still having a "high definition" character.

Just my two cents; don't take it like everyone feels the same.
Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 09:33:34 PM »

I agree with blackarm about the colors. The greens are too primary, I'd vary them with more blue in most areas. It looks too Playskool when the colors are all primary. There's a blue light fog/depth effect that looks nice and help mitigate though.

The tree trunks look almost black, I would lighten those colors and make the leaf volumes way bigger. They look a bit like those big Baobab trees.

If you squint your eyes the values are all over the place. I would save the darkest/lightest colors for focal points (characters and interactable stuff). I would make everything else more muted.

The little deer character is very appealing!

Oh god make it stop.
Rognirim
Level 0

Concept artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 05:40:23 AM »

I agree with the above and did a quick pass on the screenshot to show the direction I would take it. I think the main issue you have is color saturation, along with some value issues. For example, the sky is very dark in your image, while in reality, the sky is usually one of the brightest elements in an environment during a nice day. Even if you are going heavily stylized, looking to reality for value relationships will be useful to you when you want to convey a certain kind of feeling.

Color-wise, most colors are very saturated, and when they are, they create more of a stressful impression than the calmer (I assume) nature feel you're after. Doing some color picking, most of them are in the right half of the color gradient (see images), while I've kept them in the left in the modified screenshot.

I've also added some warm brown and less cold blue to the scene and your shadows. In the end, some of it is personal taste, but I think this would improve the general impression of your environment.

Modified:

Highly saturated space, use very sparingly or for specific effects:

Desaturated space, calmer:

Hope that helps, good luck!

Art & animation half of Voidwrought. A metroidvania platformer with a hefty dose of cosmic horror, focused around customizable abilities and base building lite.
LeaflessE
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 07:08:11 AM »

Thank you for the feedback, and really appreciate that you took the time to edit the screenshot. We can definitely use some of the information you have provided Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic