Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:56:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBeep [Platformer]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Beep [Platformer]  (Read 830 times)
Telefrag Entertainment
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2020, 12:15:56 PM »

Hello!
I've recently started working on a platformer that I'd like to share here and hopefully get some feedback on as I go.
Goals:
  • Tight Controls: Moving and Jumping should all feel very predictable and precise.
  • Evolving Mechanics: The abilities offered to the player should evolve over the course of the game, adding new ways to tackle obstacles. These will be introduced as upgrades to either the Kid or Bot.
  • Fun!
  • Interesting World: I've been building out a narrative for the world in which the game will take place that I think will be compelling. It's meant to exist only in the background, and provide context but not force the player to follow along.

Here's a look at what I've put together so far.

More details:
The mechanic I hope to focus on in this game is the combination of abilities that the duo can perform together. The Kid is fast and can perform acrobatic moves like double jumping. But they need to drag the Bot around with them, and that slows them down. However, the Bot also bring about other abilities. Using these limits/abilities the player has to navigate platforming levels with various puzzles and enemies that will test their skills with each ability they unlock.

That's about it so far, hope to have more updates soon. If you have any ideas/feedback please let me know!
Thanks!

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 12:29:16 PM »

Great graphics style. And you're going for a real story. Nice!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Telefrag Entertainment
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 12:36:48 PM »

Great graphics style. And you're going for a real story. Nice!
Thanks! I don't consider myself an artist so it's nice to hear someone likes it. I just keep plugging away at art assets between writing code, hoping something sticks.

buto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 01:02:37 PM »

I also like the visuals! Smiley Also very cool that you already have a some more advanced mechanics working and a video to show them.

I have the slight impression that carrying that bot around could feel a bit tedious with time. Obviously this is not final - but nevertheless I thought that if the act of carrying would be fun in itself, this could probably improve the appeal even further. Just thinking... if the bot was some kind of small mech which could carry the kid and which can go really fast but can't jump, you could probably have similar puzzles but a more interesting set of movements when the kid and the bot move together... Not very thought through, obviously.

Anyways, lookign forward for more updates!
Regards,
Sebastian

Telefrag Entertainment
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »

I also like the visuals! Smiley Also very cool that you already have a some more advanced mechanics working and a video to show them.

I have the slight impression that carrying that bot around could feel a bit tedious with time...

Thanks for the feedback!
That's a great point about the carrying being tedious, and one I've thought about a bit (but need to definitely think about some more.)
One thought was that the bot doesn't slow the walking down, but does prevent something like jumping. Then, the bot could gain abilities like a grapple, so the player can grapple when carrying the bot, but can't jump. This opens up possibilities for platforming challenges where you have to grapple up somewhere, drop the bot, do some acrobatic maneuvers, then grab the bot and use another tech move to continue. I'll probably "sketch" out a few of each of these abilities and see how they feel to play before committing to them.
The other option is that the two characters are essentially one, and mostly used for visual effects for abilities. The Kid would carry the Bot, could run and jump, then the double jump ability would come from the bot using a small rocket boost or something.
Still a lot to figure out!

Telefrag Entertainment
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 05:09:08 PM »

Some updates for this week!

New player sprite - I've honed the game play style I wanted and found that the taller, higher resolution, character didn't fit quite right. I've updated the player sprite to make it lower res. I think it fits much better now.

Ledge Grabs - Player can now grab onto ledges!

Here's a video of the updates: https://twitter.com/TelefragEnt/status/1309973514758295554?s=20

Telefrag Entertainment
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 09:01:44 AM »

Update:
- More work on the first level of the first world, added the building interior.
- Movement updates for handling slopes and platforms improved.

Video of latest progress
Here you can see the level played out, with player movement, ledge grabbing, camera movement.
Up next: Enemies/hazards, testing out some abilities like double jump.

Dev Log | Tiwtter

Telefrag Entertainment
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 12:01:03 PM »

Added this punchy robot this week. It's going to have a charged up ranged punch attack where it throws it's meaty right hook and flies at the player.

LuomoAmava
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 06:43:06 AM »

Hi! I specialize in sound design and music. I have written the scores for several films and games in the past, but none caught my eye like this one. I have a very atmoshperic type of music style, and have been praised for my high quality sound design. That said, you'd be mistaken not letting me do sound design and music!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic