Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:58:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoEdmund [NSFW & FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Edmund [NSFW & FINISHED]  (Read 190670 times)
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2009, 09:14:51 PM »

I would love to know how you got yourself jumping super high, I knew the jump code was buggy, but not that buggy Smiley  How slow was your pc, maybe that has something to do with it...

Thinking...

EDIT: Good bug find, that window used to be a old warp... Ill remove it tonight.  Excellent explanation of the yellow warping night-crawlers also, you made my day man  Grin  Beer!

"depending on either ending I think he stole his taxi too"  :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:23:24 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2009, 09:34:55 PM »

I think it was the first version of the game and for the off chance of good game humor of weird stuff being in serous games (ie how tim from braid can blow up princess by touching them and appear in flash games) it should stay or add a easter egg to them I love to replay just to get the 'mutant' ending to this game it would prove one a jumping over the wall saves time and it a more crazy twist than the your the bad guy ending, is it wrong to ask for a ed&mike fighter for indie brawl or having a tele-rapist and sean connery beating up drawfs, robots, and Gentlemen catburglars too much for the game.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:42:11 PM by Rumrusher » Logged
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »

Im going to easter egg  it tonight, warp that window to a wtf ending, just for making me laugh, you and whoever made super lol rape bros, that is if charlie mason doesn't mind...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:48:18 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2009, 09:39:25 PM »

You know...I *realize* it's wrong.. but I kinda wanna play that super lol rape bros.  It actually doesn't look half-bad.  Add some cheery music and a flat at the end, and you got yourself a nice little challenge.

Facepalm

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2009, 09:40:06 PM »

Shhhhh don't give it away on a public forum...

Facepalm

You know im kidding right?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:01:51 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2009, 09:47:02 PM »

Im going to easter egg  it tonight, warp that window to a wtf ending, just for making me laugh, you and whoever made super lol rape bros, that is if charlie mason doesn't mind...
andor(maybe continue moving to the right than to the window or falling into that deep hole) to a silly boss fight with the princess at the end of emerson and misery(cave story).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:08:24 PM by Rumrusher » Logged
FiaStarta
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2009, 02:06:03 AM »

that is if charlie mason doesn't mind...

he's actually in jail until 2060, but I just phoned him and he's ok, and sent (through some convict's butt) the 'clean' version:

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »

the sly womanizing cab stealing minesweeper himself edmund.
 Shocked yeah i might want to draw connery after this.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:41:00 AM by Rumrusher » Logged
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »

Have you seen Henry, the 1986 film?

(trailer)

I was reminded of it by this game.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2009, 10:27:07 AM »

This game/experience completely swept me away. To anyone with any interest in cultural value this should substitute why games can be used to explore mature themes and human nature.

The only thing that I feel could be changed is making the rape scene in Vietnam optional. The only way to not have to perform it is to take a bullet and respawn. I think it would have a lot more merit if the rape segment wasn't forced on you to complete that level.

Thank you for an excellent proof of interactive medias worth. Time to show some friends.
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2009, 11:46:10 AM »

I see a lot of people complaining about people complaining about the game. Especially they seem to see no difference between rape and other violence in games. What differentiates rape from murder/violence is the fact that violence is legal, and morally acceptable under certain circumstances. If you are a soldier you are allowed to kill enemy soldiers. If you are attacked by someone, you are allowed to defend yourself etc.

Under NO circumstances is rape allowed. There's no gray zones here, it's wrong, and everyone knows it. And as far as I can tell, there is no realistic way of making rape an interesting gameplay mechanic. That's why I don't find it an interesting subject for a game.

Secondly, I find interactive rape in a game to be as appropriate as I find ethnic cleansing (or actually a lot less). It's offensive, and you know a lot of people won't like it. And more over, there are sick people out there who won't play it for the reasons you want them to.

That said, I played the game, and it wasn't as bad as I thought, although I guess the trailer took the worst out of me (trailer could've been a bit different imo). The graphics are very nice, sounds are good, the game has an interesting style, the level design is somewhat decent (I guess that doesn't make a big difference). But all in all, I still don't see the point.

To anyone with any interest in cultural value this should substitute why games can be used to explore mature themes and human nature.

Would you mind explaining how you came to this conclusion from playing the game? I felt the same afterward as I did before playing. Rape is a horrible thing. I've read about it many times in the papers (most people have), and people I know have been raped (and a lot of other people know others who have been subjected to it as well).
falsion
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2009, 11:58:43 AM »

Not all games deal with "legal" or morally acceptable murder though. Maybe certain war games are acceptable, but there are plenty of games which have you killing people for no reason at all, even innocent people. Yet those are perfectly okay in people's eyes.
FiaStarta
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »

If you are a soldier you are allowed to kill enemy soldiers.

strange concept. So it's ok to kill someone, as long as others are allowing it? So if rape was allowed by the community, it'd be right & you'd do it?
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2009, 12:04:52 PM »

Cactus, I think one of the major issues (for me) is to make people sick.

To be honest, you hear about rape and you even hear the word thrown around lightly.  I think a lot of normally moral people simply haven't given it a thought.  To play a game like this and to be horrified by it is a good thing.  It takes away the fuzzy vagueness of the word 'rape' and shoves the truth of it right in your face.

Maybe YOU understand the implications of that word.  I certainly don't, as I've never been affected by the action in my own life (through anyone I know.)  It's nice to at least have SOME emotion/moral outrage to connect with the word, now that I've played this game.

Before, I simply never cared.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2009, 12:27:49 PM »

I see a lot of people complaining about people complaining about the game. Especially they seem to see no difference between rape and other violence in games. What differentiates rape from murder/violence is the fact that violence is legal, and morally acceptable under certain circumstances. If you are a soldier you are allowed to kill enemy soldiers. If you are attacked by someone, you are allowed to defend yourself etc.

Under NO circumstances is rape allowed. There's no gray zones here, it's wrong, and everyone knows it. And as far as I can tell, there is no realistic way of making rape an interesting gameplay mechanic. That's why I don't find it an interesting subject for a game.

Secondly, I find interactive rape in a game to be as appropriate as I find ethnic cleansing (or actually a lot less). It's offensive, and you know a lot of people won't like it. And more over, there are sick people out there who won't play it for the reasons you want them to.

That said, I played the game, and it wasn't as bad as I thought, although I guess the trailer took the worst out of me (trailer could've been a bit different imo). The graphics are very nice, sounds are good, the game has an interesting style, the level design is somewhat decent (I guess that doesn't make a big difference). But all in all, I still don't see the point.

To anyone with any interest in cultural value this should substitute why games can be used to explore mature themes and human nature.

Would you mind explaining how you came to this conclusion from playing the game? I felt the same afterward as I did before playing. Rape is a horrible thing. I've read about it many times in the papers (most people have), and people I know have been raped (and a lot of other people know others who have been subjected to it as well).
the only thing that seems to be that separate rape from murder with a wall is that people say it's Illegal or Morally wronger than the other even when both terms can be change. heck moral seems to be a shade of taboo which over the years things shift and add. murder must had wiggle it self into a dark gray to grey area where rape must have locks and chains of dark hype holding it in place in "jet-black-hole where all light get suck into it."  so edmund seem to took a dark hype and use it to pull the same old emotions one can get if you made a game where picking your nose and ear at the same time is wrong and it's super evil and doing it is unthinkable in a town where that stuff is unthinkable and unlawful...

long story short if someone (had then it's a good point to use to here) made a game where the objective is to not do something in the range of taboo, and the kicker is that the "bar" of taboo's things and options always change the game would fly over peoples heads on the view it's showing.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:37:31 PM by Rumrusher » Logged
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2009, 12:38:31 PM »

If you are a soldier you are allowed to kill enemy soldiers.

strange concept. So it's ok to kill someone, as long as others are allowing it? So if rape was allowed by the community, it'd be right & you'd do it?
I'm against war as well, but if someone tried to kill me I can envision myself killing in self defense, or to protect others. I also think that violence as opposed to rape makes for more interesting gameplay mechanics.

Maybe YOU understand the implications of that word.  I certainly don't, as I've never been affected by the action in my own life (through anyone I know.)  It's nice to at least have SOME emotion/moral outrage to connect with the word, now that I've played this game.

Before, I simply never cared.

Have you read a newspaper before? There's rapes being committed every day in most big cities, basically. Maybe it's different in your country. For instance this picture (of a girl after she was gang raped on new years eve) was on the frontpage of several newspapers here in Sweden. Made a lot bigger impact on me than this game.

Not all games deal with "legal" or morally acceptable murder though. Maybe certain war games are acceptable, but there are plenty of games which have you killing people for no reason at all, even innocent people. Yet those are perfectly okay in people's eyes.

Well, I still think it's a lot more common for someone to be angry and fantasizing about committing random acts of violence, than it is for someone to have rape fantasies. I also think that it's a lot more common for people who fantasize about rape to have mental or moral issues.

the only thing that seems to be that separate rape from murder with a wall is that people say it's Illegal or Morally wronger than the other even when both terms can be change. heck moral seems to be a shade of taboo which over the years things shift and add. murder must had wiggle it self into a dark gray to grey area where rape must have locks and chains of dark hype holding it in place in "jet-black-hole where all light get suck into it."  so edmund seem to took a dark hype and use it to pull the same old emotions one can get if you made a game where picking your nose and ear at the same time is wrong and it's super evil and doing it is unthinkable in a town where that stuff is unthinkable and unlawful...

Also, I'm not saying that rape is a subject that has to be censored completely from games, I'm just saying that I don't see the point of making the player's goal in the game to rape people.

For instance, it would have been more interesting if the game tackled rape in a perspective that made you think. Like, what would you do if your best friend raped someone? What if he was really drunk and regretted it afterward and the girl was passed out and didn't know who did it/never realized it had happened? Consenting sex with a minor? Deciding whether to report that you've been raped and have all your friends and family know about it, or keep it a secret?

There's many aspects of rape, and the one presented in this game didn't make me think, or change my view of rape in any way.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2009, 12:48:42 PM »

What I mean is that this game has brought up so many emotions for a lot of people and simply put I think that proves that games are indeed an excellent platform for discussion (or atleast encourage it) of difficult subjects. After playing this game and seeing some of the debates that's surrounded it I think it's hard denying the fact that games indeed are of cultural value. Beyond just entertainment. Wouldn't you agree?

But I do understand that people can have a hard time with the subject matter. But all I can hope is that those people find it equally inappropriate in films and books as well. Allthough they probably don't, but I'll digress Wink.
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2009, 01:29:38 PM »

Okay, well I think that the reaction to this game is totally overblown, for starters. I don't actually think that this game is a particularly deep exploration of the theme of rape. I just think that people are really easy to wind up. Every time one of these shit-storms blows over people say that it goes to show that the work was artistically significant... but I think the same reaction would happen regardless of what the game was actually like.

Now, you can twist around the moral justification for murder as much as you like; I don't think that's the point. We use shooting in games because it's a good, solid mechanic. It works. And we don't get upset, because nobody really gets hurt and we're quite capable of distinguishing fantasy from reality. We've already been over this a hundred times already; remember when we had to justify that playing Doom 2 and sticking a chainsaw into a grunt's guts did NOT make us psychopathic killers?

Rape is NOT a good, solid gameplay mechanic. In fact, even consensual sex is a useless gameplay mechanic. It doesn't translate into video games well at all; it's not like the thrill of shooting guns and driving fast, which can be simulated quite satisfyingly. Sex in video games is completely unrewarding - that's why the hookers in GTA refill your health, otherwise nobody would bother.

But like I said before, I don't think this game is about rape at all. For starters, rape really isn't a game mechanic here. It's a story element. This game is an experiment in using a cutesy pixel-platformer style to tell a dark and serious little story. I see it as an experiment in mixing the two styles more than anything (and all the swearing is another manifestation of this). You could make one of the characters an alcoholic, and have the other one shooting heroin, for a similar effect - but using rape is probably more effective. The point is, it's supposed to be something shocking and abhorrent; something we weren't expecting to encounter in pixel-platform land. Murder doesn't really work because we've seen little pixel-men blow each others' brains out a million times before.

There is only really one aspect of the game that really says anything *about* rape, I think (or rather, about any kind of assault on a stranger). And that's the empty level at the start of the game... it shows how, when you are the only person alone on a big empty street, you automatically become a target. The player attacks Emily because there is literally nothing else to do.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »

I love the smell of moral outrage in the mourning.

Flack is right, the game isn't about rape, it just contains rape, its the first and most obvious thing players see, the game is also about a rapist, but could have been anything else with similar effect. I really don't see why everyone is going retarded over this.

There is only really one aspect of the game that really says anything *about* rape, I think (or rather, about any kind of assault on a stranger). And that's the empty level at the start of the game... it shows how, when you are the only person alone on a big empty street, you automatically become a target. The player attacks Emily because there is literally nothing else to do.

The only thing Ill add to this is I wanted the players to feel bad doing it, disgusted even, that was the aim anyway.  I wanted them to cringe slightly when they did it, so I didn't really need to explain in narrative that what they were doing is wrong. If it didn't then maybe the players moral compass is off, or I fucked up somewhere.  It also helps cement Eddie as the bad guy.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:55:30 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

PlayMeTape
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2009, 01:47:11 PM »

Okay, well I think that the reaction to this game is totally overblown, for starters. I don't actually think that this game is a particularly deep exploration of the theme of rape. I just think that people are really easy to wind up. Every time one of these shit-storms blows over people say that it goes to show that the work was artistically significant... but I think the same reaction would happen regardless of what the game was actually like.

Yes that is completely right, but in my opinion that just goes to show that games indeed do have merit. I think most people on these forums agrees with this but even though it feels so obvious to some, I know a lot of people who wouldn't agree. But with a game like this, I think it would be interesting to introduce it to people outside of the gaming sphere. Don't you think a filmdirector or critic would perhaps look at games in another light after playing this? Maybe even agree to that there's just some feelings that games can convey better than movies. Even if it is just disgust Tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic