Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:37:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoEdmund [NSFW & FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Edmund [NSFW & FINISHED]  (Read 190550 times)
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 03:11:38 PM »

Yeah I would think your Skydiving academy is a lot sicker.  But I suppose it's also completely ridiculous.

Perhaps this one hits too close to home?  I'm not sure. 

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 03:13:27 PM »

That is the point though, this is my first attempt at making a game that isnt a joke game so to speak, its ment to hit close to home.

To clarify that more, I wanted to make a game that causes a emotional response, I dont give a shit if you dont vote for it, I want you to love or hate it, not sit on the fence.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:22:16 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »

Threw up the buggy type alpha build, im aware of the double mine/corpse bug, and a few others, but apart from that have fun. Remember there are 2 parts to the game, detriot and vietnam....

http://www.paul-greasley.com/Edmund/edmund.zip

read the readme and extract. dx9 and ps2.0 required.

Spot the influences  Durr...?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:02:04 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 07:48:50 PM »

Pretty cool stuff, I'm still trying to decipher the story, I've gotten to 3 endings so far.

SPOILERS:

My take is that Edmund and Micheal are the same person, there are several clues throughout but the biggest 2 are at the end of each part, both can end with Edmund being shot, and in both you see the death of Micheal.

I think this is a whole good side against bad side battle with DIRE CONSEQUENCES, dun dun dunnnn.

Downsize for spoilers
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:55:33 PM by Eric McQuiggan » Logged

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
deathtotheweird
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »

I lurk these forums but this game is the first to make me respond to post. I'm glad the game is not "lol rape" and your game did what it said it would do, invoke emotion. Even though it was tiny pixels, I still got a knot in my stomach.

I think it says a lot. Most of us are desensitized to really gruesome violence involving knives and guns or any other tool but any hint of rape and some of you (and me) turn away. I'd like to know why that is, gunning down hookers and random pedestrians in GTA is fine but obtuse pixellated rape is gut wrenching. This is me thinking out-loud, not meant to get this off-topic.

The game itself was good, I think the menu could use work. Make the highlighting more visible when you hover over a character/exit door. When I first started it up I didn't know it was selected and I closed it, and then I didn't realize until my 3rd play-through that there were 2 "chapters" on the screen. But then again I was too anxious to get the game started and wasn't paying attention. The sound effects really get the job done, the sound of the girl in distress was sickening but I guess that's what it was supposed to do.

edit: Turned the brightness of my monitor up and I could see the menu highlighting just fine, my mistake.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:44:41 PM by deathtotheweird » Logged
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 08:44:22 PM »

Hand ClapMy Word!

This game is really incredible. It tackles a really difficult subject in a reasonably tasteful and incredibly effective way. It does a great job making the player squirm and creating uncomfortable and evocative situations. I haven't even played through all 3 scenarios and I'm totally blown away. I'm sorry if that's just a stream of short complimentary sentences, but I'm still dealing with the emotional aftermath of this game. It can be tough to play through, but it is absolutely worth it.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 08:48:58 PM »

This game is disturbing in a good way.  That video made me immediately think about just how gut wrenching it would be to just... play it (which I haven't yet, and I don't know if I can bring myself to do so yet!)  I mean, watching it was already weird enough.  It's amazing how I'm totally comfortable playing super violent games at this point but something like rape totally ties my stomach in a knot.  (Although I know a rape victim so that probably has a little bit to do with it, maybe.)

Anyway, good job.  I hope that swirling controversy surrounds this and you become famous.  In a good way.

<3
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 01:49:04 AM »

Please play it Xerus  Grin  That is, if you want to, it realy isn't realy has the video depicts, but again, make your own mind up before you click the EXE.  Good job with the spoiler eric Mcquiggan its pretty much spot on  :D   

And yea, I realy would like to hear what everyone thinks, love or hate, Im uploading a new build with a bugfix or two and a menu touch up also to make it a little more obvious, and once all the bugs are sorted ill probably put up a dx 8 without pixel shader effects build up for people with the older videocards.

The vietnam part of the game might still have a few bugs lurking, but hopefully nothing gamebreaking...

Thanks for playing.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:21:13 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Saker
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2009, 03:40:25 AM »

Love  Kiss

like how grass interact with the player  Tears of Joy , but those are just two women ?  Well, hello there!

anyway , u've done it perfectly  Hand Thumbs Up Right
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2009, 04:56:50 AM »

HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT.

Well okay. The second part of the game is not that intense. But it's still a really incredible game!

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2009, 01:16:29 PM »

Love  Kiss

like how grass interact with the player  Tears of Joy , but those are just two women ?  Well, hello there!

anyway , u've done it perfectly  Hand Thumbs Up Right

There are 3 women, and a handful of ways to end the game, only one of which will give you a ending for each section.

HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT.

Well okay. The second part of the game is not that intense. But it's still a really incredible game!

Its kinda the point, we had enemies in there initially but decided to scrap them in detroit to keep the desolate feel that your all alone...  Then it kinda worked realy good that the player had a gun but nothing to shoot for a good handful of screens, just itching to do something he will regret shortly...

DONT EMAIL ME SAYING SHOOTING EDDIE IS BROKEN - THAT IS THE POINT - ITS INTENTIONAL...fuck sake...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:36:19 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2009, 01:49:38 PM »

DONT EMAIL ME SAYING SHOOTING EDDIE IS BROKEN - THAT IS THE POINT - ITS INTENTIONAL...fuck sake...

Hahahahahahaha, told you!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2009, 01:55:31 PM »

I liked this. Great art and music, they set the tone and create some amazing atmosphere. I like that it's a bit hard to play the game, you've done a good job on making things feel grim.
Saker
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2009, 02:18:58 PM »

oh , looks like i missed one ,

lol , ya , he can't shoot himself Smiley
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2009, 04:33:09 PM »

It reminded me of American Psycho(the novel) for some reason. It made me wish the game was a bit longer and fleshed out, though I would've leave out the whole rape animation sequence, which could be cut short(I think it's the main reason many people will pass on the game) - maybe just a fade to black and the woman screaming 'nooooo' would have been sufficiently unnerving and serve the point of the game.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »

It reminded me of American Psycho(the novel) for some reason. It made me wish the game was a bit longer and fleshed out, though I would've leave out the whole rape animation sequence, which could be cut short(I think it's the main reason many people will pass on the game) - maybe just a fade to black and the woman screaming 'nooooo' would have been sufficiently unnerving and serve the point of the game.

I think the rape scene is pretty necessary to make players aware whats happening, if someone wants to pass on the game because of that, then that's not my problem. The game is about a rapist, so I don't want to go numb on those details, it should be clear and constantly in the players mind, cutting it with some fade to black and some sounds would leave them feeling safe.

Even more so, they would have beaten her cold, and then score a fade to black, what sort of message is that sending?  That its cool to beat the shit out of a woman until she passes out, but its not cool to have to deal with the disgusting aftermath?

The game is short due to the time me and compound had to develop it realy, theres 2 parts to the game and ill probably keep it like that, just Vietnam and Detroit, expanding it would just feel like padding out whats already there.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 05:40:06 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »

Wow, this game was not what i expected. Kudos.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2009, 06:01:46 PM »

Even more so, they would have beaten her cold, and then score a fade to black, what sort of message is that sending?  That its cool to beat the shit out of a woman until she passes out, but its not cool to have to deal with the disgusting aftermath?

No, I mean, you could keep the part where he drops his pants as he gets near her, and then cut to a black screen with the scream. I'm not sure it would send the message that it's cool to beat a woman, just make a different impact. I thought you still managed to treat your subject with maturity, it's just a personal observation on games in general, where sometimes we tend to show a lot, where there is no need to show it. I liked the game's style, I would have wanted a longer game with more character viewpoints and their own mature stories- not that this one wasn't fine in its own right  Smiley.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2009, 06:07:57 PM »

No, I mean, you could keep the part where he drops his pants as he gets near her, and then cut to a black screen with the scream. I'm not sure it would send the message that it's cool to beat a woman, just make a different impact. I thought you still managed to treat your subject with maturity, it's just a personal observation on games in general, where sometimes we tend to show a lot, where there is no need to show it. I liked the game's style, I would have wanted a longer game with more character viewpoints and their own mature stories- not that this one wasn't fine in its own right  Smiley.

I agree to a extent, but the thing that grosses me out the most is those good 5 seconds of absolutely repulsive sound effects when you fuck her limp body, I think for me as a experience, that's what really hits home that whatever is happening onscreen is effecting me beyond the game, to take that out would be removing that feeling.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2009, 06:31:43 PM »

Yeah the scene has to stay. I showed this game to my friend today and he was sitting far away enough to read the text but he missed out of the pixel 'rape' and he saw it and said "what's the big deal?" apparently the screaming didn't really drive the point home until I told him to sit closer and pay attention and then it hit him and he thought it was messed up.

I think the low res pixel graphics cover up a lot, enough to where it shows whats happening but still leaves room for the imagination. Putting a black screen over would seriously hamper the effect and thus the emotional impact.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic