Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:39:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoEdmund [NSFW & FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Edmund [NSFW & FINISHED]  (Read 190529 times)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »

After seeing how you treated the concept, my faith in humanity is recovering a bit.

those are just two women ?  Well, hello there!

Aaaand it's gone again.

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2009, 12:57:08 AM »

Just wanted to say that I think you did a really good job with this. The subject matter is obviously something that doesn't come up in games very often; there are plenty of movies and books that depict rape, but I guess the difference with games like this is that the player feels responsible for the character's actions (Even though they're kind of railroaded them into it; the only way to prevent it from happening is to quit the game). So yeah, well done on handling it with maturity.

I'd also like to say that the presentation is amazing. I loved everything from the menu to the overall art style, and the audio in particular. Pretty sure this is going to get my vote!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2009, 03:08:43 AM »

I like the atmosphere you have here and it did invoke emotion. I didn't want to hit those women, but if I don't then the game won't progress. It was a really tough decision to make.

However, I don't like how once you die in the second scenario, you have to start at the very beginning. It was pretty demotivate me to play more and find other endings.

Anyway, great way to tell story. It's good to see a game that take this subject seriously and isn't done poorly. Kudos Smiley

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2009, 03:38:34 AM »

I agree to a extent, but the thing that grosses me out the most is those good 5 seconds of absolutely repulsive sound effects when you fuck her limp body, I think for me as a experience, that's what really hits home that whatever is happening onscreen is effecting me beyond the game, to take that out would be removing that feeling.

You done that really well actually, I had to mute my pc to get past that section.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »

Just wanted to say that I think you did a really good job with this. The subject matter is obviously something that doesn't come up in games very often; there are plenty of movies and books that depict rape, but I guess the difference with games like this is that the player feels responsible for the character's actions (Even though they're kind of railroaded them into it; the only way to prevent it from happening is to quit the game). So yeah, well done on handling it with maturity.

I'd also like to say that the presentation is amazing. I loved everything from the menu to the overall art style, and the audio in particular. Pretty sure this is going to get my vote!

Actually the best ending is just getting back into the cab at the start after you talk to emily  :D  I dont think many people found that one though, It was sort of nessisary to add for those who felt they didn't actually want to do the rape scene.

I like the atmosphere you have here and it did invoke emotion. I didn't want to hit those women, but if I don't then the game won't progress. It was a really tough decision to make.

However, I don't like how once you die in the second scenario, you have to start at the very beginning. It was pretty demotivate me to play more and find other endings.

Anyway, great way to tell story. It's good to see a game that take this subject seriously and isn't done poorly. Kudos Smiley

The vietnam mines are placed in a very specific way... shooting the grass away will also reveal them.  On that note though I might make a new build tonight with a little bit easier difficulty in nam, less mines hopefully.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 03:39:09 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »

Definitely, this game has a unique atmosphere.  It was gritty, dark, and flowed perfectly with the game's storyline.  I like how the older veterans' city (in Part 2) echoes the landscape of Vietnam, kind of implying a Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder feeling.

I'm not fond of some of the choices the player can make.  To depict such a despicable act in a video game, no matter how tastefully done, is, in my opinion, crossing the line.  I realize that the topic of rape has been brought up often in art and literature, but when a player is actively controlling a character who commits such an act in a video game, I feel that it brings the topic to a excessively high level of realism.  In my opinion, a video game depiction of rape is just too similar to the actual act itself.  The presence of interactivity is key to this distinction, which is something that traditional art and literature lack.

The ability to make good decisions is an important aspect, and without these the game would lack humanity (unless you consider man to be an inherently evil creature, which I do not).  I think that the mere presence of such bad decisions, however, is just too realistic, as I mentioned above.

But then again, isn't that what true art does:  "cross the line?"  For this, I commend you, despite my distaste for the game's subject matter.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:35:51 PM by Theta » Logged

SidM
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2009, 05:27:55 PM »

I don't get the bottomless pits in the middle of a city. I don't mind the mines in 'Nam, which are not out of place, but the pits? WHY? (Falls into second pit for the fifth time)
jazzuo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »

wow
wow
wow

i think you have done it.
I also wanted to take player in a place of guys in clock walk orange or something, to be the one and do the dificult disition of stop the game or contenue the game. I feel the rape is a tiny brother to this game. "Profecionaly looking" game has realy interesting meaning when the theme is so twisted.

i aproach the competition in funny way, but this is amazing, i think its very educational aswell. Thank you.
Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2009, 11:29:47 PM »

*spoiler alert*

I am glad to say that I found all of the endings in the order of least damage done to most damage, except for the fact that I played the 'Nam section first because I thought that the top meant exit. I was just messing around my first time in Detroit and I walked back to the cab, just to see if I can find some glitch or easter egg, and I was glad to see that Farmergnome put this ending into the game. Smiley

It really gets on my nerves when people say "Video games shouldn't do this!" and "This game is crossing the line, remove this section of the game!" Video games are interactive experiences crafted by their creators to embed certain emotions in the players. Whether it's collecting coins or murdering innocent people, every game was purposefully made to draw out certain feelings. If you aren't mature enough to handle this or find this subject too heavy for you, don't play it! But please don't complain either. Just because you aren't comfortable with something doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

I was going to make a game similar to this but I had already started a silly game (that I didn't complete Sad).
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2009, 01:07:13 AM »

Actually the best ending is just getting back into the cab at the start after you talk to emily  :D  I dont think many people found that one though.

First ending I got, actually.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2009, 01:59:17 AM »

It really gets on my nerves when people say "Video games shouldn't do this!" and "This game is crossing the line, remove this section of the game!" Video games are interactive experiences crafted by their creators to embed certain emotions in the players. Whether it's collecting coins or murdering innocent people, every game was purposefully made to draw out certain feelings. If you aren't mature enough to handle this or find this subject too heavy for you, don't play it! But please don't complain either. Just because you aren't comfortable with something doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

This.  Gentleman

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2009, 03:27:34 AM »

I enjoyed this and I have a lot of respect for the creators - but I also want to throw out some crits and suggestions.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, feel free to ignore all of it if you don't agree with it! Smiley

* sound effects
 the rape sounds didn't really work for me, they sounded too cartoony IMO - it felt a bit silly. i'd suggest more sounds, more variety.
 the thunder sound could have worked better I think... more convincing, more echo, more subtle? it raised the cheese factor a bit too much for my tastes.

* rape sequence
 i think there'd be some positives to making the actual rape gameplay more interactive, rather than an automated thing. example: a bar that decreases that if you don't "thrust" enough, will 'kill' you. that would link the player in a bit more to the actual act and make it far more disturbing.
 the sounds could then be linked to the actual input - freaky.

* pacing
 there are long empty stretches of city, which is cool the first time but starts to feel a bit empty on repeat playthroughs. maybe strange things could happen on multiple playthroughs? visions appearing, other people in windows? other aspects of Edmund's personality that present themselves?
 this is a long shot, because the game is so focused, natch.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2009, 03:34:30 AM »

I enjoyed this and I have a lot of respect for the creators - but I also want to throw out some crits and suggestions.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, feel free to ignore all of it if you don't agree with it! Smiley

* sound effects
 the rape sounds didn't really work for me, they sounded too cartoony IMO - it felt a bit silly. i'd suggest more sounds, more variety.
 the thunder sound could have worked better I think... more convincing, more echo, more subtle? it raised the cheese factor a bit too much for my tastes.

* rape sequence
 i think there'd be some positives to making the actual rape gameplay more interactive, rather than an automated thing. example: a bar that decreases that if you don't "thrust" enough, will 'kill' you. that would link the player in a bit more to the actual act and make it far more disturbing.
 the sounds could then be linked to the actual input - freaky.

* pacing
 there are long empty stretches of city, which is cool the first time but starts to feel a bit empty on repeat playthroughs. maybe strange things could happen on multiple playthroughs? visions appearing, other people in windows? other aspects of Edmund's personality that present themselves?
 this is a long shot, because the game is so focused, natch.

Good crits dude, I think i agree with you about the pacing thing, the other two not so much. I played with a few mechanics for the rape, but it would of involved displaying the mechanics in some way and the game is realy too short for the player to realy give a shit, that and rape isnt realy the focus of the game, its just the thing people spot first.  Also another big factor is alot of people are disqusted to the point of being unable to actually interact with the keyboard while that scene is going, so adding mechanics there could = frustration and sickness, instead of just the later.

About the pacing, I might try n stealth some of those random events in, the levels used to be scattered with more combat type encounters, but it kinda ruined the ambience.  I never actually expected anyone to play this for more than 1 playthrough, infact it was designed that way, now even the minor endings have some closure, I hope it stays that way.

Oh and thanks for pointing out things you don't like, its refreshing.  Beer!

*spoiler alert*

I am glad to say that I found all of the endings in the order of least damage done to most damage, except for the fact that I played the 'Nam section first because I thought that the top meant exit. I was just messing around my first time in Detroit and I walked back to the cab, just to see if I can find some glitch or easter egg, and I was glad to see that Farmergnome put this ending into the game. Smiley

I was going to make a game similar to this but I had already started a silly game (that I didn't complete Sad).

Just stuck in -actual- endings for those parts, aswell as the other -skip to menu- type endings, just uploading now.  Lets see how many bugs I reintroduced...

It kinda gets to me what you said, in a good way, its reinforcing why I made it, either way though atleast they are getting emotional over it, good or bad.  Its amazing how many people think im a retard for putting rape in a game, then switch the subject straight to getting mad headshots at 20 meters with a d-eagle on dust...   WTF

Maybe I should stick to fart joke games lawl.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:21:39 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2009, 04:27:10 AM »

Yeah, I agree 100% that a HUD would totally ruin the atmosphere... I think there still might be a way to make that section more interactive, but way more subtly than my initial suggestion. (pretty poorly thought out i admit, lol)

I think the main point I'm trying to get at is that you do make the "decision" to beat the character to the point of being raped, but the actual rape isn't an "action". (other than the initiation) It kind of feels like how violence is always more okay in games, but actual sexual acts are taboo. Its interesting how the interactive focus of the rape section in this game is on beating the woman into submission. I'm not saying its a bad thing to focus on that part of it, btw. (certainly its a clearer way to visualize the brutality of the act)

I guess I feel like there's an interesting game to be made about a character who is compelled to do despicable acts - and the player is consciously controlling those acts. The game would be set up in a way to simulate a mental disorder - such that the character experiences pain, blurry vision and other negative effects when they're not committing the acts. It'd be an interesting experiment.

But in any case - props for making this game your way, I thought it was very effective.

Beer!

SteGriff
Level 0

SƟ3:UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2009, 08:38:11 AM »

I didn't know that there were alternate endings, but I just played through both chapters to what was probably a less desirable outcome.

Bug resport: I got shot in 'nam and got:
Error: /end
Error: 28
in the dialogue.

Also, Why is there no scenario information (like Detroit circa 70) for Edmund's level?

I wanna make robots.
Blueskied
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2009, 11:37:30 AM »

The polite thing to do would be to reciprocate, and change your name to "The Rapist".
Hahaha

Karl, Blueskied Games - Gratis Spiele (my german site)
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2009, 01:00:47 PM »

Throwing a new build up now with alot of subtle shit added, lets see whos first to find it all, I realy tried to add some additional content as suggested by Alec to the detriot level but it kind of ruins the feel, so instead I added a handful of realy minor hints that probably only people who play multiple plays will find.

I didn't know that there were alternate endings, but I just played through both chapters to what was probably a less desirable outcome.

Bug resport: I got shot in 'nam and got:
Error: /end
Error: 28
in the dialogue.

Also, Why is there no scenario information (like Detroit circa 70) for Edmund's level?

Ill check up on that bug today, Gonna try and repo that bug now.  Im expecting people to use there brains on that one as the vietnam war was well over by 1976, and the location and time isn't that central, its more that it happened before detriot that was re-imaged as Edmund.

edit: found that bug, ill fix it next time i can get online.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:47:30 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2009, 02:34:30 PM »

I didn't mean to come across as accusatory or admonishing in that review post - I was merely stating my own personal reactions to playing such a powerful game.  This game is capable of inducing a very morally-wrenching experience for the player (at least it did for me) in a manner similar to Jesse Venbrux's Execution.  This is a good thing, definitely, for this is what sets this game apart.

SkyBox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2009, 04:01:48 PM »

This was really well done, the graphics and sounds really created a dark and grim atmosphere.

About the r-word: every time I'm playing an online team game, like TF2 or EVE, I get really upset when I hear these young guys saying "Oh you got raped! Pwnd!" or "Damn on that last map we were totally raped!" and using the r-word so casually. When I point it out and ask people to stop using it, people are usually pretty surprised at the thought that rape is a really horrible thing and that word shouldn't be bandied around lightly. It's like no one ever questions it, and it creates such an amazingly hostile environment. I hope this game makes people think about it.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2009, 04:05:42 PM »

Yeah I run into 'rape' and 'gay' a lot when I'm playing on-line games.  I've simply come to accept that the words simply mean completely different things in the given context.

Is it ignorance on their part to use such language? Meh, it doesn't really matter.  They're gonna use it one way or the other.  It's turned into odd slang, separate from the original meaning.

It used to bother me, but it doesn't really anymore.   Shrug

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic