Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:28:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallI told you — Prelaunch demo released on Steam (Windows, Linux, macOS)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I told you — Prelaunch demo released on Steam (Windows, Linux, macOS)  (Read 934 times)
16 story bits
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2020, 06:01:45 AM »

Hey guys,

We just released a prelaunch demo of "I told you" on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1391290

Soon we will launch a Kickstarter campaign, in case you are interested: https://rebrand.ly/itoldyou_early_access

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:38:10 AM by 16 story bits » Logged
16 story bits
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 05:48:24 AM »

New teaser. Thoughts?

geraldfingburke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »

I really love the concept. The sound design and writing are pretty great as well. A couple things I'll note: I would love a crouch-walk, even if it's slower than the regular walk. Going from crouching straight to stand if I move a little feels weird. I would also say, invest in a good English translator if you get funded. Altogether, it's very good, but some of the phrases were a little clunky and didn't serve the story well. The camera doesn't feel very good. Having zero vertical movement makes if feel disconnected from the mouse and panning the camera feels a little awkward. From a story perspective, I don't love the bolt of lightening, but that could just be me. It feels like Zeus shot down a bolt of lightening to save the protagonist. I don't know if you're going for magical realism, in which case I can totally get behind it, but it feels out of place in a more serious work.

Altogether, I think this project is really promising. I went ahead and wishlisted it. I've also signed up for the notification for the kickstarter, so I should be on board for your early bird rate. I'm interested in seeing where you guys can take this.
16 story bits
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 04:45:27 AM »

That's a very great review, thank you for your time! And thank you for signing up for the kickstarter launch; I really, really appreciate it.

1) Yes, after several people asked for it, I decided I'll add crouch-walk in the full game.

2) The English translations were reviewed by a British friend of mine. She did a great job correcting lots of mistakes, but I think the problem is that I only gave her the text files, and she couldn't see them on screen while playing. I'll work on that, thanks!

3) I want to improve the camera control, but I don't really know how. What would you say is the main problem right now? Would it be better if I made the camera rotation smoother, not linearly proportional to the mouse speed? Would you prefer I disable camera rotation and let the game automatically rotate it depending on the character position on the map?

4) Nope, I'm not going for magical realism at all. The bolt scene looks like a deus ex machina moment, and I also hate it a little bit. I wanted the player to understand that the bolt was attracted by the gun, but seems that it's not very convincing. Would it help if I gave a big umbrella to one of the bad guys? Maybe I can also add a warning line, something like "Are you sure it's safe to walk with that big-ass metallic umbrella under a storm?".

I'm also considering lowering the difficulty. From 67 people who played, only 3 people completed the demo. What do you think?

Thank you again for your feedback! This is my first game and this kind of interactions are very helpful for me.
geraldfingburke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 05:09:53 AM »

2) Yeah, context does help a lot. I can't remember the specific lines I got caught on, but there were only a couple where the phrasing just felt a little odd.

3) I have two ideas that might help, feel free to ignore both of them. The first would be smoothing the camera movement. Just lerp it a tiny bit. The second would be to give a small amount of vertical movement. I understand with a game like this, you'll want a fixed perspective there, but I think a tiny bit of freedom would help make the camera feel less like it was fixed to a pivot. Maybe even a zoom for tight spaces.

4) The Zeus bit was me trying to say deus ex machina without actually saying it. I actually think if you foreshadow the lightening strike, you could probably get away with it.

As far as the difficulty goes, I wasn't able to finish the demo. I wouldn't count this as a strike against you, I'm not very good at games (weird trait for a developer). As long as I can tick an easy box that maybe makes it a littler bit harder for enemies to detect me and allows me a couple extra hp, I'll power through it.
16 story bits
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 04:09:19 AM »

Ok, I released a new version that:

- Improves the punching mechanics.
- Introduces a new "easy mode" for those who get stucked in certain levels.
- Added a couple of lines in a conversation for anticipating the lighting and reducing the "deus ex machina" effect Wink

Oh, and I just published a second teaser:

notpatchman
Level 0

Don't be me?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 07:35:41 AM »

LOL your thread title made me think you were saying "I told you so" instead of the game name.

Which is nice - made me click!  Hand Clap

16 story bits
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 05:31:22 AM »

Hi guys!

Been bussy this week porting the game into Linux, an amazing community that are eager to play!

I also made a 3rd teaser:

16 story bits
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 03:37:55 AM »

This week I've been working on porting the game into macOS as well, but it's only available on:

- Itch.io: https://16-story-bits.itch.io/i-told-you-demo
- GameJolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/i-told-you/525050
- IndieDB: https://www.indiedb.com/games/i-told-you/downloads

Seems that I'm not getting the engagement level I need for a successful Kickstarter, so it's pretty sure it will fail without hope. Anyway, I will launch it in a couple of days, just to complete the cycle: https://sites.google.com/view/itoldyou-thegame/kickstarter-not-ready

I also made a 4th teaser, a little bit NSFW:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic