Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:57:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEXODITION - Obscure 3D Jump'n'Run
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: EXODITION - Obscure 3D Jump'n'Run  (Read 6283 times)
Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2020, 12:23:44 PM »

Title: EXODITION
Genre: Jump'n'Run, Adventure
System: PC, MAC, LINUX
Engine: Unreal Engine 4 (yes, still 4 xD)
Setting: Strange and dark alien world
Synopsis: Will you be able to flee out of this living hell and discover the secrets of the past?
Inspirations: Oddworld, Rayman 2, MDK 2, Little Nightmares
Development Started: July 2020
Estimated Release: Early Access May 1st 2024

Welcome to the very bottom of Horidian - the City where your people are caged in.
Here everything is expired, rusted and overgrown.

Deadly Aliens and Obstacles will kill you without any merci.

Discover the giant city as well as ancient statues and shrines to unleash forgotten mystical powers.

Features:
- Experience a dangerous journey through a giant alien city with strange species and obscure machines.
- Discover the cruel secrets of this gruesome world and its forgotten past.
- Deadly puzzels which doesnt allow any compromise. It's either living or dying. Evil
- Unlock magicals powers of an extinguished order.

What has been done so far?:
- Blockout of the whole Game is almost done. So almost every Area, Model and Mechanic is already created roughly and now needs further polishing.
- 11 of ~18 Levels are close to be done. Gomez
- Theres a playable Demo on Steam

What comes next?:
- More focussed development in Mid and late 2022. Aiming for a Kickstarter Kampagne at the end of 2022.
- Last remaining Levels need to be blockouted.
- Working on the remaining 7 Levels.
- (Huge one) Implementing all the planned Cutscenes
- There are actually 10 more (smaller) Bonus Levels which need to be done too.

Team Info:
I am mostly creating the Game on my own. Modeling, Rigging, Animating, Implementing, Gamedesign. Tho I have two nice Musicians from Motif on my side, creating a nice atmospheric soundtrack. Cool

Additional Thoughts:
Unreal for president! ......... (!!!!!)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 10:34:24 AM by Frece » Logged
Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 11:27:52 AM »

Guys!!
One month have past since my last update and I made some progress =J

So firstly I finally found a name for the Game which I wanted to find early so that I could set up Twitter, Twitch, etc. For the Game. As you all know - promotion is important.
From now on the Game will be known as 'Exodition'
I actually had a hard time finding a good name because everything seemed so randomly. Why should I take this or that name. Also you have to take so many things in mind.
- Keep it short
- Find something new
- Make it fiting to your game
- Soundig cool and not rediculous
I finally found a great technique suggested by a good friend of mine. I used https://namecombiner.com/ and basically mixed the word Exodus and Termination. It gave me Exodiation and since I wanted to keep it shorter and better memorizable I cut it to Exodition. Still a bit complicated maybe but it is something which is not used elsewhere much. The really cool thing is that with this technique it will be much easyer and fun to find names for the things in the game. I already choosed Horidian as a name for the Big City and maybe the planet will be called Saturath. We'll see. But I am so glad to found this technique. Really helpful!!  Smiley

After finding a name I also could create a first version for the title screen. Check it out:

Also here is the very rough sketch which I made before to get a approximate image in my head.

After setting up all this I created a fresh Twitter account for the game so that everyone who is interested can follow the latest news. It's hard to get new followers at the beginning so please, follow me Wink

Twitch may come soon as well since I would love to do some devstreams. It's always so much fun!!

Besides all this I paticipated the first few days of Inktober, but I tried to always to something for the Game. It actually was too timeconsuming for my current work-situation but if one day I could focus fulltime on the project, I would totally try it again and then it will be totally managable. Let's see if I have a few of them for you now:

Here I added a swinging blade which I would love to use later on the game. There are actually a looooot of possibilities with this guy. For example by placing the blades on a longer arm or maybe putting it on a track. I will probably do a lot with it in the future.

Finally I made good progress on the third level of the 16~. It was the biggest so far and I had the spontanious idea of making this guy preeety overgrown by the swamp =D Here you go with a first look.

Here I used a cool level design technique where you create just a small part of a certain element (the stem for example) and then you extrude it along a spline. The possibilities are enormous. I love it and probably will use it in the whole game.
Next step will be to place in some obstacles in there. Probably some Venus flytraps =D Or exploding Bugs. Cool We'll see.

But for now I wanted to focus on the gameplay and cutscenes in the first two levels so that I can share an early demo for you guys asap.  Kiss

Actually I had a feeling that I wasn't that productive last month but after writing this post I actually managed quiet a bit of stuff. (As well as some bugfixes here and there)
I will be pretty busy with my job in the next few months so I probably wont have that much output as I would like to have it. But I am already looking forward to early next year where I will have some more time. =))
Until my next post I wish you all the best in these times and a good development.  Wink

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 11:28:34 PM »

Athmospheric, and very jungly! Nice work!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 05:17:17 AM »

Athmospheric, and very jungly! Nice work!

Thanks a lot =) Glad you like it! Next on it will be more citystuff. Less overgrown.
Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 10:56:24 PM »

That saw gif got a laugh out of me haha This looks neat so far!

Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 02:24:02 PM »

Guys!!
Another month is over and I wanted to give you an update.

Currently I am busier then ever before. I basically accepted too many jobs =D I'm working under two part time contracts as well as another contracts which is basically a third part time one xO. I am aiming to lower my amount of work around february so that I can focus more on Exodition Kiss
Another good thing is that I will also have a financial backup until then so that I can use this either for the Soundtrack and/or just to focus more on the development of my project.

Anyways, this month I made huge progress on level 4. The new Big-Tower level. I'll give you a first glance here.

You'll get there right after you went through the heavily overgrown part of the lower city that I showed you in the last post.

Next I wanted to share a very satisfiyng new asset-group I implemented lately. This one is a bit of a jump in the order of the storyline since you will get there later in the game, but I had this idea and I wanted to try it out right now.
In the second great passage of the three I am plaing for the game there will be a lot of LED-Advertisment as well as flying traffic. This flying traffic I wanted to test out since I began working on the project. I imagined to solve it quiet simple and it worked out exactly as I planned. I'll show you step by step what I have done.
1. First I created some very easy low poly models of a bunch of cars in Blender. Here you can see 4 of the 5 cars.

Really simple models as you can see. It took me about one or two hours to build them and to unwrap them on one great UV Map.

---

2. Next I textured them in Photoshop. Yes.. I use Photoshop to create my PBR Materials =D But I actually get along quiet well. It's a bit unfortunate to not paint directly on the model, but I feel a lot of freedom with this workflow. I will probably utilize Substance Painter in the next project. Not sure tho. I will have to test it out.
Here you go with the PS-Texture-Result:

I think that the LED-Effect made my day Beer! XD In total I have 5 Maps here:
-BaseColor
-Roughness
-Metallic
-Normal
-And the LED map =D (Which I pluged in the emissive color of my Unreal Material Output together with a Multiplyer so I can change the streinght of the glow)

---

3. Finally I came to the implementation part and as this is my weakest skill in this workflow I had to come up with an easy solution. So I thought why not just spawn the cars at a certain location and let them drive along a custom spline. I created a variable for the spawn delay + the speed of the cars. So I can create different lanes where different cars drive with different speed. And this here is the result  Kiss

And even with this easy task I had some issues with the implementation. A good friend helped me out with it. I am thinking about showing the workflow + the blueprint solution in a video after I understand it better. But this may take some time since I am just too busy atm =J.

---

At the end I wanted to finally show you the main character of the game since I noticed that I have no real image of it somewhere online. Here you go =)

I have quiet more to show. A lot of new obstacles I implemented for level 4 but I don't want to write too much and also I am still working on them so maybe I will show you in the next devlog.

I whish all of you a productive time and a not too cold december as I hate cold weather =D
See ya  Gentleman

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 03:19:46 PM »

Wow, very atmospheric! When combined when intriguing story, it's great mix for success. Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 10:46:38 PM »

Hey Frece! The concept and atmosphere of exodition looks great, I'm looking forward to see more!

Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 11:29:32 PM »

That saw gif got a laugh out of me haha This looks neat so far!

Thanks =0 A comment from you means a lot to me since I saw your awesome looking game already on twitter. I love the jump animation of your main character cat  Kiss
Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 11:31:09 PM »

Wow, very atmospheric! When combined when intriguing story, it's great mix for success. Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Yeah! =) Thats the plan. I have to tell you guys more about the story soon. Thanks for the proposal  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 11:32:50 PM »

Hey Frece! The concept and atmosphere of exodition looks great, I'm looking forward to see more!

Thank you =J That was exactly what I aimed for. And I will also post news regularly.
Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 12:26:55 PM »

Hey guys,
another month passed and it was actually quiet amazing. Cool
I got some unexpected freetime to work hard on Exodition. Lets see what has been done:

-Level 4 is evolving to something larger and more brutal I have expected myself =D Check out the current state =0 (There is still some stuff left to finish:

It became quiet a lasershow =D
.... oh and the lasers are deadly  Evil

-I created some supersweet garbage texture for my terrain material. I actally created this seamless texture again in ... Photoshop  Who, Me? But its working =000

Its great how performance friendly this way of creating huge amounts of 'just stuff' is. I even created some small cans and plasticbags as a foliage tool to brush over the garbage and give it some acutal 3D.  
In a way this was a small task but I pushed it in front of me for quiet some time, thinking about how to solve the idea.. And here it is. I'm so glad - I finally have huge piles of Junk xD

-Another great thing is that I finally managed to implement a save system with which you can travel between levels, but so that certain things in each level stay changed after you come back. This may sound easy to do, but for me it was a big task which I also pushed in front of me for several MONTHS. Now it is done and I am so SO happy  Kiss

-Some signs have been addet to the game so that the player can read something about his surrounding at some points. I will show it to you as soon as I have done the interface for the signs.

-I had some ideas about cutscenes and how to stage certain events. Some stuff happened there already but it's not done yet.

-One of those things have been Portals - Thats right!! There will be portals in Exodition. They will be used by the player to travel between the "real world" and the Dimension of Darkness. You will get to know what this is while playing the game Wink Anyways - lets see the portal:

You can see how I'm testing it's activation, running and deactivation. All these have been easy setuped functions in a Blueprint. The true secret is is the material which is basically two swirl-masks rotate into one another.. Maybe I will do a video of how I created this because it was acutally a really easy solution but quiet effective.

As you can see the development has been a bit all over the place but I am having a rough direction in mind so that I can offer you a demo to get an impression yourself. It is actually already good to play and I even have let my family and friends test the game. (Which helped me already) But I surely want to offer it to you as well. Therefor I will just take some more time to polish further and to implent the cutscenes I have in mind. Stay tuned.

If you want to be part of the development, join my discord =) https://discord.gg/PkJuJkbWQQ I would be very happy to see you.

I wish all of you a good start into the new year 2021 and let's hope that the corona-difficulties will come to an end in that year.  Beer!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:32:39 AM by Frece » Logged
Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 03:42:38 PM »

Sweet Lord,

it's time for a new devlog and DAMN, have I much to tell you.  Shocked

On january I found a lot of time to work on exodition. Actually a lot more time than expected. Same goes for the rest of this february.  Kiss

This additional time helped me to finish a bunch of things which I was pushing in front of me for a while.

Lets see the updates:

- Cutscene Animations? DONE!!!
- Cutscene Texts? DONE!!!
- Cutscene scripting? DONE!!!
 Mock Anger Mock Anger Mock Anger

Okay. You probably don't know how much this means for me, or for the game itself, but its quiet a thing since I have 3 "real" cutscenes in the first two levels (Which will be basically the demo)
And I have to say that I had a lot of fear about this task. If I will be able to do it and if I will get it fast enough so that I can actually work with it. Crazy
What I can say after working countless hours in the sequencer is that it is quiet frustrating to get into it and still I am not absolutley secure in my workflow. I will probably test more things in the future, but I really managed to finish the scripting. Gomez

With the finalization of these cutscenes the game is really good to go to be tested for feedback purposes. there are some sounds and small exects left to implement here and there, but really. The major part is done. YES!!!! I AM SO GLAD!!!!! You wouldn't believe.

Check out this portal transition as a small glimpse:

---

What else?
- I am basically done with the leveldesign of the Tower-level (lvl 4 of 15) Check it out!!

- I set up the base for the next level (Nr. 5) but I spontaniously decided to also create a very small level between 4 and 5 to give it a bit more dynamic. See the first the first draft here:

- Usual bugfixing and polishing on the run here and there. This one is quiet effective.  Gomez

---

So far so good. What's next?

- As I mentioned I still need certain sounds. (about 8 smaller sounds so I think this will not be too much work)
- I still have to come up with a solution for the voice-sounds there will quiet some dialogue in my game and I'm thinking of different ways to do it. So far I'm planing to just use text and to put an imaginary language-voice over it. This need to be tested. If it's to rediculous I probably have to find a way of voiceacting it.
- My plan for the next month is to share the game again, with all of my friends and family for testing purposes. I will get feedback from anyone who I can and from then on I am willing to put the demo avalable for public.

Guys!!  Cool Cool All this here feels like dream is coming true.. I manage to face all obstacles in the development and to actually get through them.   Giggle
Stay tuned for the next update since it may open you the possibility to try out the game yourself. I would apreciate you (dear reading person  Kiss) testing it as well. See you soon Gentleman
Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 12:12:06 PM »

Guys!!

10 days have passed since my last post  but it already feels long ago regarding all the things that happened since then.
I already made some of my friends try the game and already processed some of their feedback.
Before sending it out to my friends I added a few FX and some more (strange) Voice sounds  Cool

AAAAND I also set up a LOT of social media =D
Im not quiet sure of where to focus on posting on but I'll probably post anything anywhere so that the most people see it.
 Kiss Kiss If you are interested in the project please follow and share where you can.  Kiss Kiss

These are the new Platforms:

In a few weeks I will share the demo with all of you. Probably already on Steam. Wait - Steam? YES, I payed the fee to set Exodition on Steam. I'll fix anything in the demo first and then I will upload the demo, which may take some time to be tested from steam before going public but hey - let's hope that this will go quickly.

So yeah - at the moment it's not so much about actual gamedev but instead much more about spreading the word. But I really feel that it's the right time now.

I really hope to finish a video in the next days too. This will help to get an impression of everything and to gain interest for the demo.

Until the next post, I wish all of you a nice time Smiley
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 12:41:35 AM »

That's some nice progress and the stuff beside game dev itself is sometimes as important, I guess.

I already made some of my friends try the game and already processed some of their feedback.

That's great and must be very exciting! It is unfortunate that we can only do playtests over the internet at the moment. Sitting next to a person and watching them play your game is one of the best things there is and I'm looking forward to a time where we can do that again in the future. But still, I am sure your friends already had a blast playing Exodition!

Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 09:19:01 AM »

Thank's for the message Alain! Glad you are interested in Exodition.  Gentleman

Seeing someone playing the game really in front of me was possible with my grilfriend already and it was so funny to see her walking in my traps xD But honestly I wish that the situation will come to an end this year. Anyways I recieved valuable from different people already AND this week I even fixed a lot of it too. My plan for this weekend is really to finish a video where I show a bit of the game. Not  as a real trailer, but more like a presentation with voice from me so that people understand what the project is about. Also to share some picturtes in motion from the game finally. Not just with gifs Hand Thumbs Up Left

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 01:01:12 AM »

My plan for this weekend is really to finish a video where I show a bit of the game. Not  as a real trailer, but more like a presentation with voice from me so that people understand what the project is about.

Cool, I'm looking forward to it!

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 01:36:02 AM »

Good work. Remindes me of that classic abe game
Frece
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2021, 09:23:43 AM »

Today I finished my work on the video.  Kiss Kiss
Check it out =)

Yes yes yes =))) I finally made it.  Beer! thinking about it, I wanted to have something like this video for a long time, but I never really had an idea about how to do it properly. But now Im glad to have it. This will be very helpful to explain people with just a leisure video, about my game.  Cool Really hope you like it.

Also, the work on the Steam-Shoppage is done. As I meantioned, the demo should go online soon for all of you as well. Can imagine that this may take a little longer than planned tho, but its depending on my main-jobs.  Shrug

So next up:
- Additional Demo fixing
- First Steambuild upload
- Working on the next level (Finally some content creation again  Kiss)
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 10:56:45 AM »

The tracking shots in the beginning are beautiful as is your look as a whole. For me the video went a bit too much into detail verbally, because your world is a strange and mysterious one that maybe does not need a lot of explaining. Your imagery is strong enough to speak for itself, I think. But this is just a thought of mine, I still enjoyed watching a lot!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic