Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1392666 Posts in 66985 Topics- by 59835 Members - Latest Member: jlivingstonsg

June 20, 2021, 01:28:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBloodlust 2 - Vampire RPG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Bloodlust 2 - Vampire RPG  (Read 7505 times)
EmanuelMontero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2021, 11:00:50 PM »

@Beastboy Thanks! Lockpicking is at the heart of any good RPG and I just needed a bit of time to make it work. Same goes for hacking.

@Alain Well spotted! The cake is a lie. A template object just to playtest that I can't loot the vent without lockpicking it first. Also, I missed the opportunity for a lot of Portal jokes but let's keep it at that.
EmanuelMontero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2021, 08:16:33 AM »

This week I've added tooltips for the inventory items. You can hover over any inventory item to get a full description and a basic hint of what to do with the item. In general, you can right-click to eat blood bags, equip weapons and armor, read books, etc.

Also, I've added some interesting equippable items to the item database such as a stethoscope (equippable as a collar) that grants +2 to Lockpicking, different masks and gloves that grant different bonuses (and penalties) and a lot of trash (items that can't be used in any way besides selling them for money). I'll probably add more items in the following weeks, since they add a lot to the world-building of each scenario. There's nothing like opening a container just to find objects that make real sense. No more cakes hidden in vents, I promise.

Beastboy
Level 2

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2021, 02:13:51 AM »

Very nice, the loot mechanic seems very easy to grasp by the player. I mean i just saw the gif and all is very clear to be, but then again you have good gif skills :p
EmanuelMontero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2021, 09:42:12 PM »

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I'm glad it's clear with the GIF, hopefully in the game will be even clearer Gentleman
EmanuelMontero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2021, 12:13:35 AM »

The last two weeks I've been struggling with some bugs and the export process in Godot. I've reworked most of the inventory system to prevent item duplication and I've finally managed to export the game with all images and texts. There's nothing new to show so I've just decided to make a GIF about Jack talking.

bram_dingelstad
Level 0

Always up for a chat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2021, 02:56:40 AM »

Looks tight as usual! Did you have some issues exporting? What platforms are you targetting?

If you'd like to see something of my work check out:
The devlogs of the game I'm working on - My website/blog - My itch.io
Beastboy
Level 2

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2021, 03:23:36 AM »

I like his face expressions, thank you for sharing this with us
Alain
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2021, 10:31:46 PM »

The animated HA HA HA text is suche a cool idea!

EmanuelMontero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2021, 08:22:54 AM »

@Alain: Thanks! Nothing like a fancy animated text effect to bring a laughter to life Grin

@Beastboy: My pleasure! I hope I can add more expressions like these in the future.

@bram_dingelstad: I'm targeting PC and webGL as my main platforms. The Godot export process seemed rather simple at first, just downloading the export templates and a couple of clicks. However, there was a hidden layer of complexity: all my JSON and CSV files were not included in the exported project which caused some bugs with the story and localization. Also, I was dynamically loading all the NPC portraits based on their name inside the portrait folder. Since resources are copied to the export folder with a .import extension referencing the real data it was causing a couple of extra bugs. All in all, my first exported build ended up being a total mess with no story, no English localization and no NPC portraits. Thankfully, it wasn't too difficult to fix the build and I'm still pretty happy with the overall Godot export process. I'm learning as I go so I guess it's pretty normal to break a thing or two during the process.
EmanuelMontero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2021, 06:17:21 AM »

These last two weeks I've been working on the dialogues for the major NPCs. I've finished 80% of the basic dialogue for the demo. There's still room for improvements and final polish (maybe add more reactions and effects) but I'm pretty happy with the overall balance in dialogues. They're not too long so they don't become a dense wall of text, and at the same time they're not too short to make characters feel flat.

Also, I've invested a couple of days coding a localization editor tool since it was really slow and painful to translate the dialogs directly in the CSV file. The editor tool auto-detects the texts without a translation and automatically adds them to the localization file, so basically I just have to play the game to fix all the missing texts. Then, I can edit the translations from within the game editor so I have a direct preview of the texts effects and colors in the dialogue interface. All in all, the localization editor has become a super-useful tool and it has already proved to be a great booster in productivity.

Beastboy
Level 2

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2021, 10:45:05 PM »

I enjoy this scenes, it got a nice vibe of motion comic design. I am curios what stories will the player experience in your world
EmanuelMontero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2021, 12:48:40 AM »

Thanks! The first demo is really close. It will be mostly a technical demo to try a bit of the story and dialogues. Grin
EmanuelMontero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2021, 08:28:14 AM »

These couple of weeks I've been struggling with the new content creation. My current pipeline for adding new items to the levels is pretty slow and it takes me many steps from drawing the items to adding them to the game. Paint the item, slice it, run a script to generate the PNG image in the correct game folder, add it to my item data base, open Godot, open the scene, run the game to auto-generate the item resources from the data base, edit the scene to add the item to the loot container. Well, it's not the most efficient pipeline when you have hundreds of items and a good amount of containers per level. I've been doing some research, and I'm wondering if a level editor such as Tiled or LDtk would speed up the process since I have still a lot of items and rooms to add to the game. I'll give it a try and see if a level editor is the way to go. Here's a short GIF with a bit more dialogues, to end on a bright note.

Beastboy
Level 2

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2021, 06:49:56 PM »

Its been some time now since i follow your progress and i must say the scene is rock solid, very atmospheric, the art style is consistant and the gameplay seems fun with good depth. I hope very much that you will not encounter any problems because of name because your game can easy stand on his own and does not need to stay behinde the shadow of another game.
No matter what future holds, you did a great job!
EmanuelMontero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2021, 08:42:48 AM »

Thanks a lot for your support! Just to clarify, I'm not giving up on the project. On the contrary, I think the game needs better tools and systems so I can focus on adding more characters, dialogues, quests and combats. I'll try to release the demo as soon as possible so I can gather more feedback before I rework the game systems and the tools from the ground up. Grin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic