Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:13:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2634147 times)
Kramlack
« Reply #3940 on: November 14, 2011, 01:20:21 AM »

I'm not sure if your question was addressed specifically to me (as in, you didn't know I could make games) or in general (you didn't know it was possible to make games on GBC).

If it's the latter, yeah, it's possible. GameBoy Colour games are programmed in either C or Assembly (we're using Assembly for this one). The GameBoy isn't hacked, I'm just using a BleepBloop USB cartridge with the rom on it, much like the R4 cartridges for the DS. BleepBloops will run you around $75, and that's only if you can find them, as they aren't made anymore. You can find a cheaper (although poorly made) USB cart called EMS if BleepBloops aren't available.

I'm only the artist, so I can't tell you how to program for the GBC, but I can say it's incredibly tough, and resources (tutorials) are few and far between. The only reason anyone should attempt this is if you've got a massive boner for legitimate retro stuff, otherwise stick to any other forms of programming (AS3, MMF2, GM, etc).
Ashkin
« Reply #3941 on: November 14, 2011, 01:22:35 AM »

The only reason anyone should attempt this is if you've got a massive boner for legitimate retro stuff, otherwise stick to any other forms of programming (AS3, MMF2, GM, etc).
HELLO.
Kramlack
« Reply #3942 on: November 14, 2011, 01:25:32 AM »

Ashkin pls go learn sum asm, an we collab maybe. c:
Ashkin
« Reply #3943 on: November 14, 2011, 01:36:05 AM »

Ashkin pls go learn sum asm, an we collab maybe. c:
Haha, I suck at mak game enough already, I don't need to try to do it in another language with someone relying on me Tongue
Good luck on finishing that game <3
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: November 14, 2011, 01:40:54 AM »

I don't know about GBC (and I think it has way less documentation and so is way harder) but programming for GBA isn't really to hard.  It's pretty easy to get stuff up and running.  If you want to see your code running on an actual device (which is super cool) I would suggest DS or GBA.  You can get by with C + a library you don't really need to do any assembly.

Also Kramlack I am so sad you don't plan on releasing that game publicly, it looks awesome and I have everything I need to actually play it on a real device Sad
Kramlack
« Reply #3945 on: November 14, 2011, 07:32:06 AM »

I don't know about GBC (and I think it has way less documentation and so is way harder) but programming for GBA isn't really to hard.  It's pretty easy to get stuff up and running.  If you want to see your code running on an actual device (which is super cool) I would suggest DS or GBA.  You can get by with C + a library you don't really need to do any assembly.

Also Kramlack I am so sad you don't plan on releasing that game publicly, it looks awesome and I have everything I need to actually play it on a real device Sad

Yeah, GBC has a ridiculously small amount of documentation and tools. From my understanding, the only real documentation is from a GBDEV wiki, and some people on an IRC who mostly deal with making emulators. I was able to grab a couple tutorials off a fellow homebrewer over on youtube, but they're unfinished and really basic. As far as the tools go, Overkill (who I'm working with) has thought about making his own assembly tools for it, since the current ones are pretty ridiculous. Of course, making the tools would be really time consuming and almost counterproductive if they didn't work as well as you'd hoped...

I'll take your word on GBA having more documentation though, as it's pretty easy to believe. Also yeah, what you said about running homebrew off a GBA or DS. Probably much cheaper. I prefer the feel of the GBC though, over the GBA and DS, so that's part of the reason I'm running it the way I am.

Thanks for the kind words about the project.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: November 14, 2011, 08:15:19 AM »

we're using Assembly for this one

Had to quote the image since it got paged. My nerd sense is tingling.
Kevin
« Reply #3947 on: November 14, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »

Dunno how I missed this, but I want to buy it dinner and maybe kiss it.
You may take it out under chaperone, but definitely no kissing.
Deal, but the second you turn your back there's going to be some hot, sweaty hands-holding action going down.

Kram: Either it's not mentioned or my reading comprehension is less than good, but is that some tricky photoshoppery, or an actual, legitimate photo of an honest to god GBC running your game for reals? Because If yes ♥.
Kramlack
« Reply #3948 on: November 14, 2011, 03:41:12 PM »

Legit GameBoy Colour, there's another pic floating around here that I didn't bother putting in the art section. If you get on Skype for once I can send the rom your way. >:c
Robotwo
Level 2

I'm a complicated being after all

View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: November 14, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »

How far have you guys gotten on the engine?  Smiley
As far as we know it might just be a static image,
or is there some minor character controll / tile detection implemented yet?  Grin

What we are is simply a stepping stone to what we can become
Kramlack
« Reply #3950 on: November 16, 2011, 05:27:46 AM »

For the most part it's static. We have moving tiles (camera control) working, and some HUD related stuff, also sprites are working in the game. Not tile detection or character control yet though.

I think the next thing we're implementing is sprite animations, but don't quote me on that.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: November 16, 2011, 08:23:26 AM »

I think the next thing we're implementing is sprite animations, but don't quote me on that.

What have I done Addicted

Robotwo
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: November 16, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »

YOU FOOL!

Nice that you have something a bit more than just the tilemap done then Smiley
Making a solid platformer engine in z80 ASM can be a bit tricky mainly due to the lack of higher levels of arithmetics,
but it isn't too hard if you know how to work it  Wink

Kramlack
« Reply #3953 on: November 16, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »

YOU FOOL!

Nice that you have something a bit more than just the tilemap done then Smiley
Making a solid platformer engine in z80 ASM can be a bit tricky mainly due to the lack of higher levels of arithmetics,
but it isn't too hard if you know how to work it  Wink

Well you'll have to ask Overkill how much he knows, since he's the one programming it, but I have a lot of faith that he knows what he's doing.
Robotwo
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: November 16, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »

Well you'll have to ask Overkill how much he knows, since he's the one programming it, but I have a lot of faith that he knows what he's doing.

Not questioning his capability :D
Just saying its a bit tricky to manage collisions without glitches on such restricted systems  Grin
Hope that you guys will post some videos so we can see it in movement at least  Roll Eyes

wademcgillis
« Reply #3955 on: November 16, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »

Just saying its a bit tricky to manage collisions without glitches on such restricted systems  Grin
Hope that you guys will post some videos so we can see it in movement at least  Roll Eyes

Can't you do bitwise shifting and stuff?

Code:
// MY ASSEMBLY SKILLS ARE SUCK. PLEASE TAKE THIS C++-ESQUE PSEUDOCODE INSTEAD.
// I'M NOT SURE I SPELLED PSEUDO RIGHT.
// BILLY MAYS
if (falling)
{
   verticalSpeed = 0;
   // assuming 16x16 tiles.
   y = y & 0x10000;
   // Won't that floor it to the nearest 16?
}

Kramlack
« Reply #3956 on: November 16, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »

Just saying its a bit tricky to manage collisions without glitches on such restricted systems  Grin
Hope that you guys will post some videos so we can see it in movement at least  Roll Eyes

I'll definitely be posting some videos at some point, but for now, you'll have to make do with the gif's I post in the pixel thread.

What have I done Addicted

Look what you've just fucking done. I really hope it was worth it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 03:00:11 PM by Kramlack » Logged
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3957 on: November 18, 2011, 07:04:09 PM »

HERE, GUYS!

Ok, ok, so it's not a mockup....

It's an in-game screenshot, but we're about two-three weeks from starting our devLog and I couldn't resist  Shrug

Also, try not to cringe over the horrible background that I stole from Google images and stretched all to shit.

EDIT: Pic was huge, so I swapped it for a thumbnail.
 Coffee

wademcgillis
« Reply #3958 on: November 18, 2011, 07:15:11 PM »

I'm making a game with an astronaut and aliens things and lava and stone and space and stuff too!

we're about two-three weeks from starting our devLog
I think my game might be closer. Maybe not. Depends on how much I can get done.
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3959 on: November 18, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »

Wait...is yours procedurally generated too?  Shocked

EDIT: Yes, that screen is in a randomly generated room. The "level" spans about five more screens high in a tower-like fashion.

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic