Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:21:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2616898 times)
Ant
« Reply #5800 on: December 06, 2012, 01:46:57 AM »

A cyborg simulator. You are a cyborg in the year twenty thirteen doing cyborg-type business. As a cyborg you have a surgical steel skeleton, super computer brain, satnav, bionic hearing, dermal implanted weaponry and bionically enhanced vision. Bionic eyes exist today but the resolution is painfully low. Ten years from now technological breakthroughs should increase this to the level showcased here but since this game is supposed to be futuristic game you get to use the technology now.

o god that's brilliant please make it please
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: December 06, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »

Hola, new member here.
I love this thread, so inspiring!  Who, Me?

A long term project I've started:

in-game doesn't quite look like that, though. still working on the basics in GM. want to be able to do realtime ordered/pattern dithering, too.
tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: December 07, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »

Wow, your style is glorious! The land seems almost to glow from within, and the twirly bits are giving me a real nightmare before Christmas vibe.

I can't wait until you finish your project.
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: December 07, 2012, 05:13:25 PM »

Why is there an Ohmu in the background?

I was hoping someone would recognize it.  Gentleman
Not using it for the game, but I stuck a quick stencil of one in there because it fits the vibe of the "world" perfectly!

Wow, your style is glorious! The land seems almost to glow from within, and the twirly bits are giving me a real nightmare before Christmas vibe.

I can't wait until you finish your project.

Thanks! The intent was to make it sort of backlit from the background.

I tried as much as possible to keep a 16x16 tile sheet in mind when I did this. A lot of it will work, but it's still far too organic than what a 16x16 will allow. Maybe 32x32, done smartly. I'll have to do some tests soon.

This will be an uber long term project, though. Probably a year, for what I have in mind. Can't dedicate all my free time on it.

Welcome! Wow this is REALLY cool, I've seen many metroid style games (like the one in my profile pic) But this is deffinetly the most unique! Cool art style! It's ALMOST like yoshi's island meets metroid!

Thank you! Metroid is def my main influence. Metroid, Nausicaa, hard sci-fi, Moebius, fuck knows.  Ninja But hopefully I can make it pretty weird.

3D art is my daytime job, I haven't done pixel work in over a decade! I cheated a bunch for this mockup, used PS's outline and inner/outer glow a lot. As long as my silhouettes were well done, the subsurface glow effect mostly did itself.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: December 08, 2012, 09:57:36 AM »

From last time, I've added a menu, a pond with plants (Seaweed and lily pad) and a fish, cattails, a windmill, grass layers are more distinguishable between each other, and trees have separate layers as well, to give variety.

This looks sooo great!
By the way, "a" button to start? What would that game play on?

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5805 on: December 08, 2012, 04:37:12 PM »

This looks sooo great!
By the way, "a" button to start? What would that game play on?
PC, but it was for 360 controller/joystick support.  I removed it though, as I'm making the game mouse controlled.

namragog
« Reply #5806 on: December 08, 2012, 04:57:09 PM »

Intro cutscene image. The black is there so your eyes can adjust.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5807 on: December 09, 2012, 05:43:15 AM »

Cool, your stuff always has great atmosphere namragog.

namragog
« Reply #5808 on: December 09, 2012, 08:02:22 AM »

Cool, your stuff always has great atmosphere namragog.

You are so nice oh my gosh
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #5809 on: December 10, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »

a good friend of mine is getting into game dev, we started shooting ideas.  he just reminded me to 'make the games I want to play' and so this is one of them.

so set in a cowboy bebop like universe, you control a small ship and a band of adventurers, You travel through space running into abandoned spaceships, satellite wreckages, getting into space battles, exploring uncharted planets.  This is influenced by xcom and fallout.  The game play I guess would fall under RTS, with rougelike elements, such as deciding your own adventure, procedurally generated events and maps.  You separately control your ship and your adventurers, in this situation you chance upon an abandoned spaceship in the outskirts of space, you pilot your ship close enough for one of your crew members to suit up and jump on board.  Aside from equipping, using items and telling your crew member where to go, most of the action like moving, picking up items, fighting is automated with a lot of rolls happening to determine random events, like encounters, and item pick ups.  While your crew member is exploring the ship like a trained rodent moving through a maze, he's reporting back to the ship what's going on.  The ship can also be controlled at this time, you may use it to blow open parts of the abandoned ship that are possibly in the way of the crew member or to extract him as a second 'exit/entrance', you can also use the ship as bridge between locations.

I have other ideas like giant space battles, where you sneak aboard to plant a bomb in the core, or man one of the guns to blow open a hole in the same airship.  and other cool stuff... just laying down bare bones gameplay right now.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:08:07 PM by minnow » Logged
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: December 10, 2012, 05:42:21 PM »

Cool concept.

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5811 on: December 11, 2012, 07:59:36 AM »

Every game that asks me "What should I do, boss?" just gets me completely randy instantly.

(← new art twitter)
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: December 11, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »

*inhale* Midtown Turbo Chase Grand Theft Esprit Investigations HQ Madness *huff huff*
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: December 11, 2012, 11:12:02 PM »

snip

Holy crap. Make it now D:<
All your ASCII mockups are awesome btw <3
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: December 12, 2012, 12:26:03 AM »

To be honest it's not strictly ASCII, I pixeled those cars and the little dudes in but I did try to make them look like they were character based sprites so they'd fit.

Quote from: everyone who wants me to make things
make it now
I'm the worst kind of guy, the kind of guy that noone wants making games with them: an ideas guy. So it's unlikely that anything I mock up will ever get made. This thread has a better chance of being renamed to "Disappointment Central" than I do learning how to code and I really wouldn't want to use some shit like Game Maker and fake it using sprites. That's the easy way out, it has to be a personalised character set or nothing.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5815 on: December 12, 2012, 03:06:39 AM »

Lame, learn to program.

Faking an 8x8 console with any 2d graphics lib is easy, and with any console lib is also easy but usually at least somewhat assbackwards under windows (pdcurses is kinda ok).

You could fake it in game maker easily.

Turn your ideas from cocktease nostalgia trip mockups into a trippy reality. Ludum dare is this weekend. do some lernin.

rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5816 on: December 12, 2012, 06:39:16 AM »

northern isomystic thriller

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #5817 on: December 12, 2012, 06:49:51 AM »

what is going on  Shocked
interested
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5818 on: December 12, 2012, 06:56:08 AM »

[UFO: Enemy Unknown meets Twin Peaks screeshot]

northern isomystic thriller

Ooooooh. Shocked

powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5819 on: December 12, 2012, 06:59:25 AM »

Pixel art and hand-drawn don't fit too well together.. The slight distort thing is nicely unsettling.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic