Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:04:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2632934 times)
Baobab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: December 29, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »

And it looks like the mountain is just a missing piece in a backdrop.

This made me think, maybe you could incorporate a theatrical motif in the gameplay somehow. Like a game where you play as some poor guy managing the props while the narrator gives you cues for what you need to do. If and when you fuck up somehow, it affects the story and forces the narrator to improvise. I guess the goal would be to keep the viewers amused, otherwise you'll get a game over screen with tomatoes raining at the stage.

Interesting idea, but I already have the mechanics and theme pretty well laid out. This sounds like a solid idea on it's own though.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: December 29, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »

Interesting idea, but I already have the mechanics and theme pretty well laid out.

Ah, that's great then. Thought it was one of those abstract mockups that only exist to demonstrate a graphical style. I can't help brainstorming some gameplay ideas whenever I see those.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: December 29, 2012, 05:05:58 PM »

Sorry for poisoning how it reads y'all.

@solkar I like the little icons, can't say I've ever seen a "self-dialogue" choice system before.
Could be neat.

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5923 on: December 29, 2012, 05:57:07 PM »

My first attempt at making any sort of visual art in the last couple of years, so please be kind Beg

Ashkin
« Reply #5924 on: December 29, 2012, 06:02:48 PM »

@dspencer Cool. The vastness of the space and the tiny creatures makes me think of Knytt.
wademcgillis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5925 on: December 29, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »

Old

/\ Click for bigger.
New

/\ Click for 2x.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5926 on: December 29, 2012, 08:14:58 PM »

Small, but slick. Nice style - real cool.

I like the new version, but the color choices could be improved. The dirt and grass is too light, to me.

solkar
Level 0

One chili to bind them into hotness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5927 on: December 29, 2012, 10:00:07 PM »

@dspencer those clear peaks in the background are too... clear. I would change them to a darker tone.
Pixelgent
Level 1

Pixels and Polygons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5928 on: December 29, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »

Small, but slick. Nice style - real cool.

Its at original gameboy restrictions that's why its so small.
GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: December 30, 2012, 07:05:36 AM »

Really half-done mockup I gave up on  Sad

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: December 30, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »

What's the reason you gave up?
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: December 30, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »

Making an arena cave flier was like a rite of passage in the 90s Finnish shareware scene. Nowadays the genre's "dead", but I'm still rooting for its return in some modernized form.

I wanted to draw an environment that has large clean areas contrasted with detailed sections... it turned out a step more cartoonish than what I had in mind, though.
GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: December 30, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »

What's the reason you gave up?

Complete lack of motivation/ideas/reason. I always make tons of mockups and never finish them, see:

It's the same with Minecraft textures, I have literally made so many of those and never finished any packs.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: December 30, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »

Mockups are only a means to an end, chop those up and make some spritesheets.
Then you can brainstorm about what kind of game they'd fit in and what other kind of assets you'd need.
Functional graphics are always more valuable than pretty pictures, and even if the games don't get made you'll benefit from the exercise.

But those are all very pretty Kiss

GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: December 30, 2012, 01:27:51 PM »

Then you can brainstorm about what kind of game they'd fit in and what other kind of assets you'd need.
Functional graphics are always more valuable than pretty pictures, and even if the games don't get made you'll benefit from the exercise.

Most of the time they start as spritesheets, and then I get bored because I know no programming, nor can I make player sprites to be a game artist! Thank you for the compliments though :D

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: December 30, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »

Most of the time they start as spritesheets, and then I get bored because I know no programming, nor can I make player sprites to be a game artist! Thank you for the compliments though :D

You should consider learning how to program. Your art is great so if you became decent at programming, I'm pretty sure you would have a blast at making games Smiley
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: December 30, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »

Gamemaker is your friend.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5937 on: December 30, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: December 30, 2012, 11:49:20 PM »

snip

I'm guessing some sort of game where you shoot passing pterodactyls(or whatever they are  Giggle)? I like the color choice - it goes well with the orange background.

GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: December 31, 2012, 06:49:33 AM »

You should consider learning how to program. Your art is great so if you became decent at programming, I'm pretty sure you would have a blast at making games Smiley

I started learning java a while back but I didnt understand how I could relate it to making a game. I've completely forgotten it all now! I also have issues trying to actually com up with an idea for a game, other than jsut having pretty tiles.

Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic