Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:00:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2617296 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5940 on: December 31, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »

Mockups are only a means to an end, chop those up and make some spritesheets.
Then you can brainstorm about what kind of game they'd fit in and what other kind of assets you'd need.
Functional graphics are always more valuable than pretty pictures, and even if the games don't get made you'll benefit from the exercise.

But those are all very pretty Kiss

Most of the time they start as spritesheets, and then I get bored because I know no programming, nor can I make player sprites to be a game artist! Thank you for the compliments though :D

You should consider learning how to program. Your art is great so if you became decent at programming, I'm pretty sure you would have a blast at making games Smiley

I started learning java a while back but I didnt understand how I could relate it to making a game. I've completely forgotten it all now! I also have issues trying to actually com up with an idea for a game, other than jsut having pretty tiles.

Obviously you should give all your arts to me .. so I can do stuff with them :3
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5941 on: December 31, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »

snip

I'm guessing some sort of game where you shoot passing pterodactyls(or whatever they are  Giggle)? I like the color choice - it goes well with the orange background.

Thanks!  Yeah, it's going to be kind of a cross between a platformer and a SHMUP, where you run along the ground and shoot at enemies up in the air (who will also drop things down onto you).

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5942 on: December 31, 2012, 04:35:58 PM »

Awesome!

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5943 on: January 01, 2013, 01:26:04 PM »

Part mockup, part paint-over for Archibald's workshop thread. Still a bit rough, I may come back to this at some point. I was a huge Might and Magic fan back in the day, so it was fun to do. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:07:29 PM by Joshua » Logged

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5944 on: January 01, 2013, 02:38:19 PM »

Augh why are the 's's backwards

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: January 01, 2013, 03:09:49 PM »

Part mockup, part paint-over for Archibald's workshop thread. Still a bit rough, I may come back to this at some point. I was a huge Might and Magic fan back in the day, so it was fun to do. Smiley

:D Awesomeness.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5946 on: January 01, 2013, 03:19:43 PM »

Augh why are the 's's backwards
Haha. I guess I was worried about everything else? I'll fix it when I pick this piece up again.

@Code_Assassin
Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:42:58 PM by Joshua » Logged

strazt
Level 0

tune on the radio

View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: January 01, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »

Something I've been messing around with for the past few days. Some elements were taken from an old pixel picture of mine, just colored in since that one is pure black and white. I might continue making more of this 'game', but it probably won't amount to anything in the end.

always always always

Twitter
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: January 01, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »

This a mockup for an adventure game where you have to build a tower. The main challenge is to balance your emotions to overcome all the doubts and downturns. I wold like it to be driven by the script. For example you need to gather resources to build the tower but the mechanics to do so is not just to click in the trees or the stones. You have to deal through dialogues with NPC.

I guess this game would suck because it is about my own experiences with people... And I suck with people.

GAD DAMN it no that wouldn't suck, make that game!! that's an excellent mock up. what i love about it most is the shadow of the see-thru guy. it adds a lot of depth not so much to graphics, but to the nature of the character. he's present in the physical realm, but transparent as if no one notices him. that's an excellent use of symbolism.

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: January 01, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »

snip

You really made things pop compared to your original one Smiley Well done. I'd like to see this in a game, if possible Tongue
Ashkin
« Reply #5950 on: January 01, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »

Something I've been messing around with for the past few days. Some elements were taken from an old pixel picture of mine, just colored in since that one is pure black and white. I might continue making more of this 'game', but it probably won't amount to anything in the end.
I like this lots. It would be cool if you could incorporate the vastness/jumbled feeling of the black and white version into the colored one.
strazt
Level 0

tune on the radio

View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: January 01, 2013, 07:47:30 PM »

@Code_Assassin: Thanks man, glad you like it. I'd love for it to be a game too, but nothing is set in stone yet, heh.

@Ashkin: Yo, thanks! Yeah, I'll probably develop this game world s'more and add more details to it. Partly why it was more intricate in the earlier one was because I threw away restrictions for the most-part and just added stuff wherever I felt like it.

always always always

Twitter
matwek
« Reply #5952 on: January 02, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=32c1666fd55181cf653726d17c334b91&topic=30235.0
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5953 on: January 02, 2013, 11:54:46 AM »

Nice pixels, but the perspective is different between the house/sign and the holes in the ground(maybe the water, as well). if you can make the  close side of the hole less visible I bet it would look awesome!

matwek
« Reply #5954 on: January 02, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »

Nice pixels, but the perspective is different between the house/sign and the holes in the ground(maybe the water, as well). if you can make the  close side of the hole less visible I bet it would look awesome!
I'm thinking of flipping the perspective of the hole to make it look like a mound and then removing the top edge (currently the bottom) of dirt completely so that it overlaps the grass behind it.
CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5955 on: January 02, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5956 on: January 02, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »

@Strasteo - Cool mock-up. I like the color / pure black shading mix you've got going. It's a really interesting style.

@matwek - I like the tiles - very well-drawn. Cool colors, as well, though I do agree with dspencer about the perspective, though it's not very noticeable. The grass pattern seems a bit repetitive, though. Maybe you could add another tile (perhaps a more plain one) to switch it up.

@Lightnix - I think there could be a bit more contrast on the objects on-screen, but I think the GUI is too plain and too dark. I like the style of it, though.

CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: January 02, 2013, 07:01:45 PM »

@Strasteo - Cool mock-up. I like the color / pure black shading mix you've got going. It's a really interesting style.

@matwek - I like the tiles - very well-drawn. Cool colors, as well, though I do agree with dspencer about the perspective, though it's not very noticeable. The grass pattern seems a bit repetitive, though. Maybe you could add another tile (perhaps a more plain one) to switch it up.

@Lightnix - I think there could be a bit more contrast on the objects on-screen, but I think the GUI is too plain and too dark. I like the style of it, though.

Thanks for the feedback! Smiley

I tried playing around with the palette to increase contrast, made some other changes and jazzed up the the HUD kind of a lot:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5958 on: January 02, 2013, 09:30:17 PM »

Better, but the shiny effect on "HP" kind of hurts its readability. Make sure the contrast is high between the outline and the inside. Also, you might want to color the inside of your inventory slots. I'm not 100% sure, though. Maybe the grass could be darker? It's a bit bright.

polycube
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5959 on: January 03, 2013, 05:10:20 AM »

Trying out some wall/roof material combos. I had a hard time with the brick colour and it still doesn't look quite right.

Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic