Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:00:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2630048 times)
ompuco
Level 3

oh my god whats happening

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6440 on: April 01, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »

I was working on a newer 1-bit mockup last night (kind of a start up screen or something).

Previously, I have thought about using post visual effects like chromatic abrasion (or something else with offset color channels) as well as trying to replace the black background with something high res, like a smooth gradient possibly with minimal texture, and turning all black to alpha, or maybe even a glow similar to a CRT screen or something. Unfortunately, I never got around to experimenting with that. Though I did take in Eigen's advice and try something other than black, and I got something that still feels very clean and wouldn't require such complicated post-effects. Here's a few variants.

(I'll be trying many more colors later, and probably darker colors as well)

I'm thinking that these colors could change depending on what area in the world it is, but never more than two colors in the same screen or location. I don't know if I'll stick with these bright colors, but I'm sure it would look pretty good with dark shades of saturated color.

I might also try some of my old ideas in the future.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6441 on: April 01, 2013, 11:27:56 PM »

jeeze I've been messing around with this gui mockup for longer than I've worked on the game today.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6442 on: April 02, 2013, 05:30:33 AM »

Looks way too complex to be honest.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6443 on: April 02, 2013, 06:43:52 AM »

i dunnno. looks pretty good to me. i'd learn the gui eventually.
learning curves are ok.
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: April 02, 2013, 07:29:19 AM »

jeeze I've been messing around with this gui mockup for longer than I've worked on the game today.

While it looks a bit intimidating as a gui, the menu movement flows wonderfully and has a really appealing aesthetic.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: April 02, 2013, 08:18:26 AM »

Yeah that menu is great

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6446 on: April 02, 2013, 11:30:01 AM »

I agree. Complexity is not necessarily a bad thing, just look at some of the ridiculously convoluted JRPGs that are out there. Xion's system looks neat and unique, and I'd be really interested to know how it works.

Carefree games
« Reply #6447 on: April 02, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »

I think it's well done overall. Sections of the menu are well categorized & differentiated. These are both very important aspects of a good menu design, especially when there is so much information to handle. On top of that, navigation and item selection/toggling seem to flow well. Most of the space available is used efficiently - I imagine the map takes up more of the upper-right corner as it's further explored, however the bottom-middle and bottom-right have too much empty space in comparison with the rest of the menu. The one thing which bothers me most is that the style of the character doesn't match up with everything else. I suggest addressing that before you come to a final design.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6448 on: April 02, 2013, 01:32:22 PM »

thanks guys

I don't really think it's too big a problem if things look complicated at first glance - it's kind of hard to avoid when there's so much information I need to convey you know? - since I think it'll all make sense in-game, which is the really important part.

nonsuch: yes the map gets bigger as you explore, larger levels basically taking up that whole corner. The character is just a placeholder I whipped up real fast, I'll definitely have something more fitting when I actually implement it all.
re: the empty space at the bottom, it'd be hard to fill that with stuff since your hp and mp meters (red and pink) get longer as you level up and might eventually cover like the whole left bottom half. Anything down there would either obscure or be obscured by that as it grows.

Saturator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: April 03, 2013, 12:16:28 AM »

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:55:19 AM by Saturator » Logged
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6450 on: April 03, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »

slightly jpeg'd but this is a screenshot the programmer took so
im sure showing off the game mattered a bit more than ~quality images~
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6451 on: April 03, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »

Touchscreen button controls detected; initiating projectile vomit.

(At least the art looks cool.)
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6452 on: April 05, 2013, 12:37:56 AM »

Has code, now.

rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: April 05, 2013, 08:03:17 AM »

img

Has code, now.

ooooh good lookin
Blambo
« Reply #6454 on: April 07, 2013, 08:29:39 AM »

Good lord, this scares the shit out of me.
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: April 07, 2013, 08:00:30 PM »

GB menu mock-up I did a while back.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: April 08, 2013, 12:39:56 AM »

@Carrion
Cool mockup, but I would have no clue how to use that menu in a game..
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: April 08, 2013, 01:01:16 AM »

@Carrion
Exactly! Wouldn't be a proper Gameboy mock-up if you knew what was going on.  Wink

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6458 on: April 08, 2013, 05:11:25 AM »

@Carrion

Well you see.

Hes got some bars there.

A couple of guns. A dog, and also a man on an island. These are your weapons/perks.

Then you have equipment slots. Head, under armor, armor, pants, gloves, shoes, hat, and accessories and or SECOND HAT.

Then you've got your classic triple light bulbs which is standard procedure. I mean haha who DOESN'T know what these are for?

We've got our triple syringes just in case.

Followed by the always useful H tank.

This game is just 3DEEP5YOU

Dualmask
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6459 on: April 08, 2013, 06:02:20 AM »

This seems to be the right thread for this...

I've been wanting to make games based on my characters and ideas for some time, but while I think I'm okay at making characters, backgrounds/environments are something of a struggle for me.

I drew a comic book some time ago in black and white, and I thought about applying that style to a game based on the story of said comic book. Rambling aside, what do you think of this noob's art direction in these mockups?

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic