Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:13:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2634054 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8620 on: April 17, 2015, 02:11:13 PM »

So here's a mockup for the second world (set of levels) for my game. I did this a while ago, let it rest for a while so I could look at it with fresh eyes. Now I think I like it. (did I post this here already?)

SkyStrider
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: April 19, 2015, 06:21:01 PM »

Thanks Cirpons, I'd forgotten about that in my earlier post. I'm going to hopefully replace the tiles soonish. I'll edit my post accordingly. Sorry for the confusion. ^_^
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8622 on: April 20, 2015, 06:36:33 AM »

Thanks Cirpons, I'd forgotten about that in my earlier post. I'm going to hopefully replace the tiles soonish. I'll edit my post accordingly. Sorry for the confusion. ^_^

lol you literally tried to pass his work off as your own. its copy pasted from here. http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/88774.htm

go away

mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8623 on: April 20, 2015, 07:11:04 AM »

[to: skyStrider]
go away

Com'on, no need to be mean, it was just an innocent distraction by SkyStrider.

See:
[original post, now edited]

Apparently, SkyStrider wanted to show us solely his own pixel-art character, and used an existing tileset (by Surt) just as a temporary background to put his creation in context. At first, he forgot to mention that. An omission, leading to an unfortunate misunderstanding, which was corrected by the perpetrator, in a polite way and with plenty apologies, as soon as someone (Cirpons) noted it. Not a deliberate attempt to pass anybody else's work as one's own (and no it's not a direct copy-and-paste anyway).

So, please stay, skyStrider! :D

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
mtarini
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8624 on: April 20, 2015, 07:23:39 AM »

Playing with effects. Ignore unfinished sprites:

Great job!

Really love that kind of monitor effects (and this instance in particular),
I wish it was an available option in basically any real pixel-art game(*) I play!

I mean the ones where pixels are actually pixels:
globally aligned and globally equal sized,
not "fake" "just-blocky" sprites scaled/rotated at will,
which is also cool, but isn't really compatible with monitor-effects.

(*) for example, the many low-res http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ games out there.

Warballs! · spherical fierceness · 1P · free · arena fighter · challenging
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8625 on: April 20, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »

guys its on opengameart for a reason

that reason being so guys like this can use and post and share it

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: April 20, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »

like hitler did
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: April 20, 2015, 12:20:58 PM »

guys its on opengameart for a reason

that reason being so guys like this can use and post and share it
Wot he said.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: April 20, 2015, 03:48:04 PM »

I thought the tiles were your own work Sky, even if assets are free to use you really should post a disclaimer. Otherwise it can be taken as you claiming to have done work that others have created.

If you go to the opengameart page you will see the art has Licensing restrictions (CC - attribution license). If you don't follow these in a hobbyist environment you're likely to be called out on it and berated (as evidenced in this thread), and possibly warned or banned. In a professional environment it would count as plagiarism or copyright violation and could result in you failing a course/module, being fired, or legal action.

A long long time ago I took someone else's (pixel art) character design and made an attack animation from it - in a way that meant every frame was uniquely created by me, but the characters design and colours were not mine. I accredited the original creator, but in a jokey way. Because of the way I worded it people threw a hissy fit -despite the fact that I was still citing that it was somebody else's original design. I then said something like "Fine, I removed it, even though I said it was his design". A few hours later I was banned anyway despite removing it. Then I sent a PM politely arguing against this fact, and was then permabanned. It's been 8 years now and I still can't go to that site without being disgusted by the way they handled the situation, which is a damned shame with the talent and amazing quality of some works on the website.

So basically don't fuck around with other peoples work without using it exactly as the author states, or personally asking the author if not explicitly stated anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:42:00 PM by Lee » Logged
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: April 20, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »

If somebody animates a character i've designed , i'd be really pissed , especially if it's pixel art.
Let's say i make a character , you animate his standing pose, i'd be limited in my choices afterwards if i want to animate him myself, because i'd probly end up doing a really similar work to what you've done and be confronted to some mindfuck, because of the limits of the pixel.

I think that not asking the original creator if you can animate his work  is a lack of respect.
Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: April 20, 2015, 08:09:06 PM »

I just want to clear up that I didn't copy his work exactly but drew it from scratch roughly matching the design - in fact someone said something along the lines of it being a shitty rendition. My previous post might have made it sound like I directly copied his work.

I'm not saying that I agree with what I did (specifically release it without asking, and I made a point by saying you should ask right afterwards). As you say if you let people modify your work and then want to modify it yourself in the same/similar way it could cause issues.

However I was 13-14 at the time, took the work down when "requested", was still punished after the fact, and nobody else involved was ever reasonable about it. Just got shit hurled in my face practically.

But I don't see why you'd be really pissed that someone loved your work so much that they took the time and effort to do something creative with it. How is that a lack of respect? Fan art is not something that you should hate. Now claiming to be the creator of a piece (explicitly or by omission), selling other artists work without permission, using art in some other form or product without permission or attribution (if allowed), those issues are different. But it's arguable as to what counts as fan art and what counts as derivative work when you get down to pixel art resolutions. You could make a case for the work being unauthorized derivative. But if the issue is that fuzzy then I don't think people have the right to immediately jump straight to being an asshole about it, especially when it's clear they have made some effort to acknowledge the original work.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:46:20 PM by Lee » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: April 21, 2015, 03:45:36 AM »

If somebody animates a character i've designed , i'd be really pissed , especially if it's pixel art.
Let's say i make a character , you animate his standing pose, i'd be limited in my choices afterwards if i want to animate him myself, because i'd probly end up doing a really similar work to what you've done and be confronted to some mindfuck, because of the limits of the pixel.

I think that not asking the original creator if you can animate his work  is a lack of respect.
I'd feel honoured if someone did that (so long as they clarify what they did and did not do and give proper credit).

SkyStrider forgot, was notified, fixed it (rather than trying to keep claiming it as their own). No harm done.

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8632 on: April 22, 2015, 07:50:46 AM »

I think that not asking the original creator if you can animate his work  is a lack of respect.

i think such respect is overvalued, but I will make sure to not animate your sprites specifically in the future (not sarcastic)
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8633 on: April 24, 2015, 09:32:49 AM »

Or you could just stop caring about what other people are doing and animate it they way you want to, why does it matter if it's almost the same?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: April 24, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »

Well... let's say you're working hard in a commercial project (and you mentally struggle to get the right feeling on your animations)  and a random person animates your work in a really good way to the point where a lot of people get to tell you to hire him to animate your work? (something i know will happen with skilled people like Jad. If he hasn't asked you before, i don't know but that seems rude for me. 
And don't tell me that with enough work you can manage to be as skilled( that takes years).

And i recall that somewhat similar happened to Irkalla with the 3d animated robots.
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8635 on: April 25, 2015, 07:04:41 AM »

I just know that I learned pixels and art by people on Pixelation just going at it with edits and such, broadening my perspective on what my art could actually become. That's why I'm extremely biased towards thinking that all such is just a 'good thing'.

On the other hand I really hate making other people upset, so I understand that I'm walking a dangerous path. I don't know.

I'll try to ask for permission for such things in the future, if I'm ever unsure what goes.

Also it's good for those who DO welcome edits to proactively just say 'edits and such are welcome', of course. Communication is good.
drunkendruid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: April 26, 2015, 01:53:35 AM »

Here is a mockup for a metroidvania I'm working on Smiley

I had previously posted some early screenshots; now changed the character and the interface.

I was planning to call it "Elsewhere" but I just found out that there is a novel series with the same name   Angry Angry
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: April 27, 2015, 02:18:05 AM »

I've had this sitting on a backup HDD since twenty-thirteen so it's about time I decided to get around to finishing it.
drunkendruid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: April 27, 2015, 05:28:14 AM »

I've had this sitting on a backup HDD since twenty-thirteen so it's about time I decided to get around to finishing it.

This looks amazing!
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8639 on: April 27, 2015, 07:02:48 AM »

Please make the user interface smaller than the game.

Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic