Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:12:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsREM Cycles - OUT NOW!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: REM Cycles - OUT NOW!  (Read 7291 times)
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2020, 10:00:40 AM »

https://www.remcycles.com/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1393950/REM_Cycles/
https://composerfa.bandcamp.com/album/rem-cycles-official-soundtrack

REM Cycles is a tactics/roguelite hybrid. Ten strangers wake up to find they're trapped in a dream, and you must help them escape! Each run, select a team of four different characters, each with their own unique abilities, strengths, and weaknesses, and battle your way through a gauntlet of challenging enemies and giant bosses! Equip your team with a variety of dream-logic-enabled equipment, ranging from an old coffee mug to a boomerang to an 80s record.

The dream is a scary place, filled with monsters that are out to get you. However, if you fail to escape, never fear - try again until you succeed!

REM Cycles is coming out March 31st! Get it on steam!

We've designed this game to be fun to keep playing. As you play with the same characters on your team, they'll develop stories alongside their allies, and eventually the pair will get a powerup when they're used together. With ten characters to choose from, there are over 50 conversations to discover! Or, if you need some downtime, spend sometime customizing the beach house of your dreams!

If you persevere, you might meet a new friend to help you along!

Fight scary bosses

Even the sorching lavaland can still be frozen over with a little effort!

Customize the beach house of your dreams!

REM Cycles is aiming for a late 2020/early 2021 launch. If you're interested in trying it out, join our discord, where you can get the link to playtest for yourself!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:08:10 AM by dspencer » Logged

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 11:56:42 AM »

The last week or so has been filled with re-working some of the UI. We've expanded the resolution because it was a bit cramped, and we used that as an excuse to re-visit the character select screen + the manage party between encounters screen!I think they all came out well! 

Character select has a bit more color and information, and is a bit less cramped.

Now you can move items directly between party members!

We also revisited how you get details on tiles/units/attacks in the actual game play. Now, you can just hover anything, and a helpful panel will hover in the corner of the screen, showing you what you need to know - what the characters HP is, what an attack does, what status effects an enemy has and what they do, etc. That might sound boring, but it ends up making the gameplay feel a lot better.

Now you can just hover anything you want to see details, and a small pane will show you! There's some formatting left to do to make sure it shows multiple details correctly/has proper padding on the text, but you get the gist of it.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 11:01:01 PM »

The dream is a scary place, filled with monsters that are out to get you.
It seems we have different definitions of "scary"  Tongue

Thinly-veiled compliment on the cute graphics aside, this looks really interesting! Subbed
Sarah Boeving
Level 0

hmm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 06:16:15 AM »

The dream is a scary place, filled with monsters that are out to get you.
It seems we have different definitions of "scary"  Tongue

Thinly-veiled compliment on the cute graphics aside, this looks really interesting! Subbed

Hah thanks! Yeah some of the earlier levels are definitely nicer looking but later levels may be spookier!  Coffee

Sarah Boeving - 2D/Pixel Artist - Portfolio - Recently worked on REM Cycles!
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 06:58:09 AM »

We've been working hard over the last couple of weeks - two major improvements to announce!

We've totally revamped the mission select screen to make it fit more with the other UI of the game. Now it's a map! Not too much to say about it, but I think it came out great Smiley

As you progress, new levels become available.

Additionally, we moved the prize item from the end of the level to being hidden in a treasure chest mid-level. It's a small change on the surface; however, if you don't get to the treasure chest quickly enough, it'll have less options for you to choose from. Now, the player will sometimes have to ask the question - do I run through these enemies to get to the chest to potentially find the right item? Or should I just wait until it's safe to do so?

Anyway, check it out:

Each level has its own variety of chest, too Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 01:21:40 AM »

Nice, more player choice is good Smiley
Sarah Boeving
Level 0

hmm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 10:29:04 AM »

Figured i'd bump this with some recent UI work, things are coming along!

Sarah Boeving - 2D/Pixel Artist - Portfolio - Recently worked on REM Cycles!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 10:43:38 AM »

Oooh, pretty!

What is the "complexity" stat?
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »

Been a minute! Wanted to announce some stuff:

REM Cycles is coming out march 31st! So soon! Plus, we've got a trailer

Oooh, pretty!

What is the "complexity" stat?

Each character has their own attacks + ways of dealing damage. Complexity indicates (roughly) how tough it is to make them effective - for instance, Faith needs to maintain distance from enemies, while Aiza wants to be in the fray, so Aiza is a bit easier to handle, so Aiza has a lower complexity.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 11:38:03 AM »

Nice trailer! Good luck with the last bit of development!
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 11:30:18 AM »

Sorry we've been light on updates -it's been busy! We've been putting in a ton of work polishing things up getting ready for launch now that we're about two weeks out, and everything's coming together.

In particular, been doing boring work (Making sure all the UI's behave in the right way, that everything looks smooth, you can't press buttons youre not supposed to be able to, etc). Over the next few weeks we're going to spend the rest of the time doing a last balancing pass to just double check everything and then we're off to dreamland!

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 06:03:22 AM »

Bumping the thread to announce the OST is out! 20 tracks by an amazing chiptune composer (https://composerfa.com/) - they came out much better than I hoped Smiley.

Finally get to share my favorites, too! I think the Town theme ended up bumping out the Lavaland theme, but those two are fantastic.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 06:04:26 AM »

Congrats on the rel... wait that's still a week ahead

Congrats on the OST release! Coffee
bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 08:31:16 AM »

The pixel work on this is so lovely, great job! Also yes to any other tactics games Smiley

CANTATA
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 08:08:48 AM »

And we are live! get it here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1393950/

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 08:46:54 AM »

Congrats! Coffee

(hmm, no Linux support. Oh well, guess I'll boot to Windows for this one)
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 01:24:08 PM »

Congrats! Coffee

I would try with Proton first Smiley

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 02:18:33 PM »

Unfortunately I don't have a linux machine to test on right now; I'll see if I can get something sorted. For now, it sounds like Proton is at least another option? or if you have a windows boot.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2021, 01:42:52 AM »

Well, I would have tried, but for some reason Steam didn't even let me download the Windows version of the game! Unless the Linux version is 6 KiB

Anyway, played a few levels yesterday, enjoying it so far!
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2021, 10:23:36 AM »

Great to hear! we'll update the thread if there's any good news on the linux front.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic