Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:43:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUntitled atmospheric metroidvania
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Untitled atmospheric metroidvania  (Read 3183 times)
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 02:05:54 AM »

Amazing render pipeline. I like this handbuilt stuff.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 07:13:53 PM »

The game looks and sounds absolutely stunning.
I'll totally watch this!  Blink

Gentleman Much obliged!

I made some puddles recently!

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 07:19:49 PM »

I guess part of the rendering style I'm going for is pixels but "physically correct". What if pixel art, but lit and photographed with real lights and lenses.

Sort of like these amazing voxel images by Lucas

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lVO4NG
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/q9b6B2
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2021, 12:27:28 PM »

I updated the character's design earlier today! The old one was always temporary.

Some other small stuff in the last 3 weeks too. Debug/quality of life stuff for physics/movement (still not done), some visual polish here and there, and continuing AI/mechanics (still not ready to fully show that off yet). AI/mechanics are definitely my weakest skill, so it's been taking a long time.

Before -> after

« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:04:21 PM by muki » Logged
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2021, 06:21:43 AM »

Quick visual demonstration on how I do dynamic reverb. So GameMaker's built-in audio features are pretty basic. There aren't any audio effects unless you use wwise or fmod. I didn't know how to use either of those (and I found documentation on how to use them in the context of GMS2 to be pretty sparse), I went another route for reverb. For most gameplay sounds, I made a completely dry version and a completely wet version, and blend between the two.

I admit this is a bad way to do this, by the way. But I told myself since this is more of a portfolio/personal project with limited scope, than a commercial game, I could get away with it.

I wanted a way to dynamically scale the reverb amount based on how "open" the area the character was in, so I came up with this hack! I cast a ray every frame, in a circle over many frames, then average the ranges! I also do some lerping between values so it's not sudden. I can use that as a pretty quick and simple dynamic reverb!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic