Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:20:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJust Act Natural [Launching 5/18!!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Just Act Natural [Launching 5/18!!]  (Read 3710 times)
anotherDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2020, 06:14:13 PM »

Thanks guys!

Finishing up the trailer. I plan on "releasing" it this friday(and when I do make the steam store page and such), but I'll prob post it here on Wednesday or Thursday to hopefully get some feedback beforehand.

The trailer features some (rudimentary) 3D animation, so while I've been waiting for the INSANE render times I've been working on the title screen and adding some additional costumes and hair styles for the characters. (Which are randomized at the player's spawn, btw). Even for an alpha, I feel like it's really starting to come together, and feel confident that I can get it public sooner rather than later.

Game's title screen

Some new outfits

Also, I plan on setting up a discord for the game within the next, so if you'd like to be the first in the game's small community, stay tuned for that.

Twitter: @ConorGarity
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2020, 08:48:43 PM »

... but I thought we were your small community?

I kid, I kid. You'll never get enough people to look at your game if you only promote yourself here

Title screen somehow gives me cartoony spy-game vibes, which is a good sign, no?

Also, is that an in-game model viewer?
anotherDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2020, 07:41:47 PM »

Okay! Here's what I have of the first trailer:

I know I said this Friday, but wanted to post this draft here for some feedback Grin

Mostly, I'm unsure if I make what the game is "about" clear enough.

Thanks in advance!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 12:23:13 AM »

Really cute! I think it gets the idea across very well

Now for some constructive criticism

- there's a small error in the opening shot just before you cut to the little guy spying on the diamond. An out-of-focus star suddenly disappears. It's around the 5 second mark
- "Coming to Steam Early Access" in plain Arial font is a placeholder right? You're going to replace it with the same typography as the rest of the trailer?

That's it. That's all the criticism I can think of Tongue
anotherDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 09:29:43 AM »

@Job: Great! Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably re-render the beginning part. And yeah, the end part is DEFINITELY place holder lol.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2020, 04:37:26 AM »

I like it! Have similar thoughts. I wonder if it wouldn't actually look really nice if all the text was clay too. Blink One thing that struck me was that white gem, it seemed so flat compared to everything else due to lack of shadows, I wonder if that also would look nicer as straight-up clay. I know it's probably glowing, but still. Absolutely adore the faces on the stones and the trees. Kiss The music is a lot of fun too!

anotherDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2020, 09:08:17 AM »

Thanks guys! Here's the final trailer here:

@Princessa: Actually, the diamond IS clay, it's just super hard to tell with the glow effects and stuff, still need to work on the visuals for that.

Thanks for all the support guys! I set up a discord for development here: https://discord.gg/hFfq9uZtZM  if anyone's interested. I'm assuming that's probably gonna be the best way to set up games once it's out too, since I'm just a solo indie. But I'm hoping the server could also double as a way for the community to help make the game as well.

Next step is to really get the online working remotely and smoothly. I REALLY didn't want to release it where you had to type in an ip address to join a private lobby but that might be the case, idk, I'll see where I get the next few weeks.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2020, 09:26:31 AM »

Trailer came out very nicely!  Coffee

Sadly, despite multiple decades of programming experience, I have zero experience with multiplayer programming, so I can't help you there Sad
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2020, 09:17:11 AM »

Looks good, best of luck! Grin

Just came across this and thought maybe you’d like it and perhaps have some use for it, have you seen it?

anotherDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 06:58:08 AM »

Hey guys! It’s been awhile! Lots of updates from the past few months, first, the game has changed its name to Just Act Natural

Second, it’s now available to wishlist on Steam!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1485080/Just_Act_Natural/?beta=1

Getting the networking right took me longer than I expected, but finally got something solid to build on so it should be releasing in Early Access soon!

I’ve also made big improvements on the visuals, using a combination of better scans and modeling to nice new shaders to complement the clay style Smiley

Anyway, thanks for your support! More updates soon!

I also started a discord for the game/studio. If you’re interested in following the project, the best place to do it is there:

https://discord.gg/YpGWCbDfyX

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 11:10:12 AM »

Yay, it's alive! Glad to see you're making progress, and that the early access will be out soon Smiley

Wishlisted and joined the discord!
anotherDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2021, 04:02:39 PM »

Hey Guys!

Thought I'd give another little update on here. I've been posting updates on the game's dev log and on the discord.

Blog:https://www.justactnaturalgame.com/blog
Discord:https://discord.gg/YpGWCbDfyX

I've been mostly debugging in the last few weeks getting ready for Early Access Launch soon, but I did add some cool things I'd like to share:

First, from playtesting I realized awhile ago that players need to have items to help them in the game. So awhile ago I added a smoke bomb item for the Hider players that they can deploy to hide themselves.

(Hider Smoke Bomb Item provides some vital cover)

I think it would be super cool to add more items in the future that players can equip in the lobby. I think that would add a lot of depth to the game. But I've been struggling trying to find the right item for the Seeker to launch the game with. After some trial and error, I think I decided on a Clothes Clue Item that reveals part of the outfit of one of the Hider players.

[/url]
(Seeker Clothes Clue Item reveals one piece of clothing from one of the players)

Other than that, just recently added an in-game feedback form for players to (hopefully) provide insight as they play.

(In-game Feedback Form)

Thanks to everyone that joined to discord/wishlisted the game. I've been struggling to find good places to market the game without spamming, I think for now I'm gonna just focus on launching the game, hopefully getting a few dedicated players to play and provide feedback and going from there.

Wishlist here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1485080/Just_Act_Natural/?beta=1

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2021, 05:35:33 PM »

Both gameplay and art are very original. Good job
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2021, 12:26:39 AM »

I love the little clay comic illustrations you add to your devlog updates, especially the mini-comic in the second one! Gives the log a lot of charm Smiley

https://www.justactnaturalgame.com/post/jan-dev-episode-2-the-fight-continues

And congrats on the wishlists! That's a good start!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 12:32:36 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
anotherDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2021, 12:11:07 PM »

@ Beastboy: Thanks!

@JobLeonard: Thanks lol, wasn't sure if it was out of place, I'm moving and all my usual camera equipment was packed up so I sorta threw the comic together last minute, It makes it a lot more enjoyable for me too so I'll definitely expand on the comic stuff in future posts I think Grin

anotherDev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2021, 06:15:40 AM »

Hey everyone! I got great news: Just Act Natural will officially be launching in Early Access (for Free!) next Tuesday: 5/18!

I'll be holding a virtual launch party that night at 8pm EST on Discord if anyone wants to join it'd be great to have you and get your feedback!

Game's Discord: https://discord.gg/YpGWCbDfyX

Thanks for everyone who supported the project thus far! I hope the launch goes well, kinda nervous about glitches, but I guess it'll be a good learning experience either way!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:49:39 AM by anotherDev » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2021, 06:47:36 AM »

Congrats! Coffee

I have a couple of friends I might gift it to and try it out with somewhere in the next few weeks
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2021, 06:54:46 AM »

Wow, I missed the last few updates, probably due to the name change Shocked What a glow up!

Congrats on reaching the point of early access!! Coffee

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2021, 01:04:31 PM »

Congratulations !
enigma27
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2021, 05:34:05 AM »

Interesting idea. Like hide'n'seek but with teams and weapons?

I like to make tutorials and devblogs. youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9CQOdT1A9JlAks0-PF5vvw
moller trumbore ray triangle intersection:
https://youtu.be/fK1RPmF_zjQ?list=PL22CMuqloY0pRNhvBXowdpMtEin8-RFtb
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic