Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:38:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Blocky pixel art / Intentionally polishing a 'flawed' style?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blocky pixel art / Intentionally polishing a 'flawed' style?  (Read 4713 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2020, 09:27:52 AM »

note how the drone is hidden by the player
and how the drone's propellor has a large background rectangle that covers up the ceiling blocks

note how the player has a grey background
that covers up the environmental elements such as ripples and up-stairs
and also how the dagger's background covers the player at times

Hi! I've been working in this somewhat weird style for... I dunno, a while now, months, I've released a few free games and am about to release a not-free one using this intentionally tiled/tile-based-looking style, and I have a lot of questions.

For a long time I've thought of myself as not-a-visual-artist-except-when-necessary. I'm a game maker first, a programmer first. But lately a lot of things have got me thinking more & more about this as a legitimate style, at the very least the 8x8 pixel sprite stuff, and that opened me up to thinking about talking to actual visual artists about their opinions about visual art.

Working with a style like this, is there anything I should be really concerned about? Are there negative long-term implications of getting deep into a 'weird' style that leans on a technical incorrectness? Have you had experience with this? I'm very interested in perspectives outside of pixel art and outside of games too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 11:36:07 AM by droqen » Logged

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 10:39:47 AM »

I think developing an idiosyncratic style is mostly a good thing. Some people might find the "limited" approach offputting, but some people hate pixel art, period. So I don't know it would have a huge impact commercially. Looking at film and music, it's often artists with offbeat styles who end up with the most dedicated followings.

I mean, it could limit some design possibilities? Like the style wouldn't work well for a shmup or something where being able to read background details at all times is important.
jsjohnsonfilm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 07:26:11 AM »

I couldn't agree with QOG more. Your style is what people attach themselves to, and I think the little details (such as the drone's background destroying the environment) are what people love to find.

I think the classic trope of imposing restrictions on yourself, or making arbitrary choices, is an excellent way to create new art and foster new ideas.

Also, I LOVE the examples you've given, I could stare at that drone for hours. What game is that?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 08:58:06 AM »

Like the style wouldn't work well for a shmup or something where being able to read background details at all times is important.

Challenge accepted

But in all seriousness: thanks for the response. I am enjoying embracing this idiosyncratic style!

Also, I LOVE the examples you've given, I could stare at that drone for hours. What game is that?

It's called "drones", you can play it here:
https://droqen.itch.io/drones-oubliette-4

Not really a properly 'complete' experience, just sort of a... playable space.

jsjohnsonfilm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 11:15:36 AM »

I enjoyed playing around in "drones" I liked how the drones would chase me down to steal the money back... but then would also rez me if I feel too high. Delightful! The world you build was excellent, and the small amount of game-play was very relaxing. I played it yesterday and then found myself wanting to dabble in it a little more today. Good work!
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 06:27:25 AM »

<3

I think of drones as my first (and, so far, only) success in making an ecosystem with ambiguous alliances that's still fun to interact with. I'd like to make more games in this space / along these lines, but I don't feel like I can reliably design and create them. As the interactions get more complicated and interesting, the  player's relationship to the system degrades...

jsjohnsonfilm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 01:56:28 PM »

As the interactions get more complicated and interesting, the  player's relationship to the system degrades...

I think you're right in some scenarios, but I also think that's what art is for! The more complicated the better. The juxtaposition is part of what creates the tension, and can lead to the surprises we're all looking for.

I'm often of the opinion that as long as you give a reason, no matter how outlandish the reason is, it will be justification enough for the player/viewer. We're very forgiving as long as we're rewarded.

Also, I  love the name "10mg: HANDMADEDEATHLABYRINTH issue 0" I think your style is excellent.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 07:17:49 PM »

Also, I  love the name "10mg: HANDMADEDEATHLABYRINTH issue 0" I think your style is excellent.

Tears of Joy

I don't think I'll ever know if this stupid name was the right choice but I love it a lot. It's definitely too busy, but it's close to my heart so I'm happy to hurt my numbers slightly for the joy it brings me.

Nytician
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 09:19:39 AM »

I like limited stuff like that, can be more creative Wink. Similar to Pico8 engine.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic