Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:57:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 2
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 2  (Read 150816 times)
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 06, 2007, 11:44:52 AM »

Nice.  This level looks ready to go.  Just a few random thoughts.  Maybe there could be a few rats scurrying about just to make things seem active.  For the bricks, maybe some random mold in one or two corners of the dungeon would work.  Just to give it more grunge.  How about a torch or 2?  Someone could animate that. Looks good to me at the smaller scale too.

Think I might grind out a rat or flamin' GB some time for the lava pit-o-death, just incase he gets some lava splashed in his hair. I'm NOT doing the whip animation!  Cool

xion: ooo just caught the post.  very Nice!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:47:00 AM by vitaminNewB » Logged
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 06, 2007, 12:04:25 PM »

?
Nice dungeon. Same crit as Zaphos.
Those waves in the lava would look cool if they were like oozing down.

quick thought.  maybe the bricks above the lava should have more of an orange glow to them.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: April 06, 2007, 12:09:03 PM »

Question; what if you knock the Xecutionr nonconscious before he's on the platform? I think you should be able to push him...or does he get back up? And just for fun, maybe have some other things around that you can drop into the lava, too?

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2007, 12:32:04 PM »

Ooo, pretty dungeon.  One crit on it though -- the wall 'texture' seems a bit off.  You're using much smaller bricks than what was in the sewer level, but they're grey ... implying they're stones?  Dungeon stones wouldn't really be so small or so regular, I think.  And they might be quite a bit more grungy.  As it is, the size and regularity and relative cleanliness of them makes them stand out as repetitive textures.

Agreed, the bricks need work. Smiley

Think I might grind out a rat or flamin' GB some time for the lava pit-o-death, just incase he gets some lava splashed in his hair. I'm NOT doing the whip animation!  Cool

That'd be great. Smiley

?

Haha, awesome!  I love it.

Question; what if you knock the Xecutionr nonconscious before he's on the platform? I think you should be able to push him...or does he get back up? And just for fun, maybe have some other things around that you can drop into the lava, too?

The idea was that he was just stunned for a period of time.  It's kind of an homage to Dark Castle.  Then you kind of have to scramble to get up to the switch.  But yeah, maybe you could push him, also?  That would give you a less time to get up that shaft, but might make it less frustrating if you happen to knock him down right next to the platform and don't want to wait for him to get back up.

Burn some rats, too, maybe?
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2007, 01:00:57 PM »

oi.

That'd be awesome if you got him on the platform and hit the switch just as he was waking up.
"Wha...where am I - Oh $#!t, it burns!! aughtathuataedjngurglegurgle."

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2007, 01:12:52 PM »

Looks really fun! That iron maiden kind of reminds me of Ballos. Roll Eyes
Also, that's a really really well-animated Executioner, Xion! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 01:16:09 PM by Akhel » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #206 on: April 06, 2007, 11:39:17 PM »

oi.

That'd be awesome if you got him on the platform and hit the switch just as he was waking up.
Kiss  That's awesome, Xion.

I took a shot at a throwing animation ...
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2007, 11:23:24 AM »

Without anything to throw, it kind of looks like he's in a mosh pit. Smiley

Icedemon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2007, 09:15:29 PM »

yea, but that throwing anim is still useful all around. A death on spikes one was alos needed, you say? hmmm...

A Viceroy forerunner...

Viceroy studios is a community based freeware gaming enterprise dedicated to making freeware games.

check the link:

www.freewebs.com/viceroystudios

word.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2007, 03:52:54 PM »

So, how's it going?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2007, 02:02:32 PM »

Well!  I'm back now.

I'll make a proper response to all these posts tonight real soon, and start pulling together the dungeon level.

Everything looks really great, guys!  I'm pumped.  Grin
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:28:25 PM by BMcC » Logged

Zaphos
« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2007, 04:01:03 PM »

I tried making the throwing animation into a whipping animation, but got confused because (1) the whip in Derek's level appears to actually be a flail, and (2) it is huge!  If that's really the weapon he's going to use, we'll need to re-think the animation.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: April 11, 2007, 10:26:28 PM »

Re: Throwing/Weapon Animations --  I'd like to have a few generic animations that we could "attach" item animations to, ala Castlevania.  Like, maybe a slash, overhead swing, and drawing a gun animations.  That would cover nearly everything, I think.

I wouldn't worry about the size of the item pickup -- it's fine if the actual size of the item being used is different.

Also, for switches... I like how it was done in Game Boy Donkey Kong.  Mario would grab and lock on to the lever and push/pull it in the direction you pressed.  It was nice and tangible.

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 12, 2007, 09:12:41 PM »

Here's an alternate baldy death just for you.
Welcome back

waaaaaaaaaaaaa

Is anyone doing the spikes death??  Wonder if it should  be bloody or not???  If no one calls it, I was going to go ahead and do a couple so we can get the Dungeon rolling.  I'll post up a flamin' baldy too. 

Zaphos:  I would say just post it up if you need some crits and ideas.  They helped me out a ton with the level design. 

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2007, 02:44:33 PM »

Here's an alternate baldy death just for you.
Welcome back

waaaaaaaaaaaaa

Aw, thanks.  Smiley

Yeah, feel free to tackle whatever you're motivated to do.  And, as Data suggested earlier, if we have good multiples of animations, I'll rig up randomization for them.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2007, 08:23:57 PM »

If you leave out wall/floor blocks will the level wrap around? (like Bubble Bobble/other game I can't think of with wrapping)

I was thinking yes.  It'll cause trouble for death pits, but I'll work in support for those too.

Maybe there could be a few rats scurrying about just to make things seem active.

When I was brainstorming some stuff for this map with Derek, that was one of the elements, actually.  I... guess he forgot to mention it?

Yeah, I want to have a rat enemy that scurries back and forth, maybe in and out of holes in the background, as well as purely background rats that run around and stop occasionally to look at the camera with their glowing red eyes.

There was more stuff, but I can't remember right now.  I'm sure it'll come to me as the level comes together.

For the bricks, maybe some random mold in one or two corners of the dungeon would work.  Just to give it more grunge.  How about a torch or 2?  Someone could animate that.

Yes, grunge, decay, and damage would all be great for this (dungeon) map.  I'd like to see more asymmetry in the walls, especially.  Torches, torture devices, restraints, and stuff would be great foreground and background details if anyone wants to tackle them.

Think I might grind out a rat or flamin' GB some time for the lava pit-o-death, just incase he gets some lava splashed in his hair.

Please do!  That'd be great.

For this build we need these animations/grapics (so far):

- Death from spikes
- Death from lava
- Death from axe (could be generic hit-by-enemy animation)
- Death from guillotine (could also be generic... unless you want to have some fun)
- Death from fall
- Executioner winding up his axe swing
- Executioner swinging his axe
- Executioner hit
- Executioner KO'd
- Executioner out
- Executioner waking up
- Executioner standing, maybe looking around suspiciously
- Executioner's skeleton
- Rats running
- Rats stopping and standing
- Maybe rats pausing and then jumping to attack
- Any details/props you can think of
- Lava bubbling, bursting, gurgling

He would get knocked out for a period of time, but yeah, I think pushing him would be fun, good idea.  Smiley

As for other objects -- definitely.  The point of the Dungeon level is less to make a good level and more to include all the Milestone Two goals in one stage.  If you could think of any movable/pick-up-able objects that might fit in a dungeon, that'd be great.

I think the Executioner looks awesome, but I'd like to see a walking animation that's more weighty like: STEP, pause, STEP, pause.  I don't think he'll move too much, and I was thinking there should be a nice thump sound with each step, and a little screen shake, to make him a bit more ominous.

Haha, yes, this is just how I'd like it to be.  Perhaps this could be an animation that always cues when you drop him into the lava?

Okay dudes, I think I'm caught up with responses now.
  If there's something I missed, feel free to repost.

Otherwise... keep the goodness comin'!  Grin
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:26:53 PM by BMcC » Logged

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2007, 09:52:51 PM »

I was unhappy with that Xecutionr, so I'm making another much more menacing one.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: April 17, 2007, 08:05:43 AM »

Oh, far out.  I liked the original already, but if you can make him even better...  I'm not gonna argue.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: April 17, 2007, 04:38:10 PM »

Grin Grin

Ed It: whoop, forgot the strip:

And I can tell ya: the frames are 1/100 sec. The two frames prior to and one frame after each stomp are all 10, with the stomp itself being 20, and all other frames 7.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 05:02:53 PM by Xion » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: April 17, 2007, 04:48:38 PM »

Grin Grin

Haha, I Kiss it!  That is really scary!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Jump to: