Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:45:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 2
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 2  (Read 147028 times)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2007, 03:42:30 PM »

We're not, don't worry!  Smiley

I love D-Mac AND his input.  I'm just being defensive.

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2007, 03:47:30 PM »

Just adding onto the idea of having a friendly NPC helping you.

Can't remember if anyone mentioned it yet but i read about the NPC's idea and this popped in my head.  Wouldn't it be neat if on one or 2 levels he was riding on some sort of helpful npc.  (i.e.  chocobo, yoshi, beast, that thing in joust  etc... I think i read somewhere that there might be special boots and things like that) 

Not sure what levels this would be for (maybe the barn level can have a chicken/chocobo, etc.).  Or he can even transform/morph into something on a level.  The main point of the NPC would be to boost his abilities ( Higher jump, etc.)

I'd say keep it to one or 2 levels though just to add a little spice and change of pace to certain areas, definitely helping make it more memorable and Fun.   

That would be a doozy to re-animate basic anims (run, jump, crawl, etc) but it's something extra to think about for later on.  I think the Extra polish would be worth it though.  Cool
Zaphos
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2007, 03:56:55 PM »

That would be a doozy to re-animate basic anims (run, jump, crawl, etc) but it's something extra to think about for later on.  I think the Extra polish would be worth it though.  Cool
On the bright side, you don't have to re-animate *all* the basic anims, because the character probably isn't going to be able to use them.  If I'm riding on a lanky chicken thing, I don't expect the lanky chicken thing to be able to climb ladders or crawl or do much aside from stand, run, and jump, really.

... also I have a soft spot in my heart for riding on giant chickens.
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2007, 04:02:26 PM »

... also I have a soft spot in my heart for riding on giant chickens.
[/quote]

Shocked SWEETnesssssss....

EDIT:   Good point btw on the anims.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2007, 04:06:14 PM »

DMac: One thing to keep in mind is that we are NOT a professional development house, and as such, we don't have to go through the kind of testing you mentioned before we move on.

Since we have two extremely talented and capable people leading the team (Arne and BMcC), it behooves us to move quickly and keep up with the pace that's being set.  The kind of hoops you mentioned would only serve to slow us down in this case.  The quality control / checks and balances are already in place and working.

Regarding moving on to M2, that was my decision anyway, and I considered it carefully before I did it.  My reasoning was that since the work the community needed to do to get M1 out the door was done, it'd be best if we started to think about M2 while BMcC wrapped up the engine.  That's just the most efficient way of handling things, I think.

Here's my poorly illustrated example of what I'm talking about.

versus:

In any case, the decision to start M2 early was mine, and not BMcC's, since I'm the one organizing this affair. Wink

And the game engine is looking/feeling great.  Right now we're trying to decide how best to present builds to the rest of the community.

Re: Panties and Silliness

No reason why we can't have some pop culture references in there as secrets!  This game began as a homage to the platformer, and I think people would appreciate the video game references, at least.  It's also a game about a middle aged bald guy who's looking for his lost game collection... can't we have a little fun with the theme?  I don't think Arne is suggesting that we throw a big pair of ZOMG PANTIES on the title screen, is he?

Re: Builds and Postmortems Again

We'll have a build ready soonish and then I'll re-open the M1 thread for postmortem discussion. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 04:10:24 PM by Derek » Logged
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2007, 04:13:38 PM »

We're not, don't worry!  Smiley

I love D-Mac AND his input.  I'm just being defensive.

I <3 BMcC  Kiss
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 04:23:42 PM »

I'm not trying to start anything, I was trying to address the fact that sometimes a little process can add some value and it's something that everyone can participate in  (not everyone can do art or code, but everyone can provide feedback). I feel like I'm preaching to the choir a little so I'm happy to let it drop. Derek gave a good explanation of the reasoning and I'm more then happy to get in line. The is one of the more interesting things I get to check in on during my work day so lets keep this ball rolling. I'm excited to see this project work!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2007, 04:37:04 PM »

I <3 DMac and BMcC! Kiss
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2007, 05:02:15 PM »

Idea: when you hold down (crouch) and then push jump, he should do a pushup.  Seriously, how awesome would that be?

Actually, it looks more like he's doing the worm... which would still be cool. Cool
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2007, 05:04:57 PM »

Idea: when you hold down (crouch) and then push jump, he should do a pushup.  Seriously, how awesome would that be?

Actually, it looks more like he's doing the worm... which would still be cool. Cool

If you mash the keys, his remaining hair should catch on fire.

..what?

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2007, 05:14:57 PM »

When he gets to the apex of the 'up', he should clap, Marine style.

Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2007, 05:21:19 PM »

What, like this?
http://www.beastskills.com/ClappingHSPU.htm
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2007, 05:26:02 PM »

Re: Panties and Silliness

No reason why we can't have some pop culture references in there as secrets!  This game began as a homage to the platformer, and I think people would appreciate the video game references, at least.  It's also a game about a middle aged bald guy who's looking for his lost game collection... can't we have a little fun with the theme?  I don't think Arne is suggesting that we throw a big pair of ZOMG PANTIES on the title screen, is he?
I volunteer for any pantie related artwork. Maybe the game should be about a middle age bald guy who's looking for his lost pantie collection? Tongue

I know its been mentioned before, but just for clarification, we won't be getting source code for this game anytime soon, right? Once a build is out it might be useful for the community to have, even just to prototype game mechanics, make mods or port to other platforms.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2007, 05:29:28 PM »

I <3 DMac and BMcC! Kiss

lol u dudes r gay

Shocked  Uh, SO awesome?

If you mash the keys, his remaining hair should catch on fire.

Yeah, but only if his power level is -- nevermind.

I know its been mentioned before, but just for clarification, we won't be getting source code for this game anytime soon, right?

Oh goodness no!  Embarrassed

EDIT:  I'm self taught, so the code isn't up to any standards of organization or naming or whatever the kids do these days.  And it's also filled with goofy and often offensive comments.

But maybe a tutorial breaking down how it's made sometime?  That could be applied to many languages.

Also, it's already portable to basically every type of computer.  A handheld port is a different story, of course...  But let's not get too optimistic! Tongue
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 05:38:33 PM by BMcC » Logged

Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2007, 05:39:41 PM »

Oh goodness no!  Embarrassed
I'm sure its not that bad Smiley. Without source us coder types feel left out.  Really I wouldn't do anything with it.  Although I'm in the minority for some reason I'm a source code junkie, just like to read it.
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2007, 05:42:16 PM »

“I don't even see the code. All I see is...blond, brunette, red-head...”   Cool
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2007, 06:05:48 PM »

It'd be cool if there were some off-map levels, like sky and desert, that would be accessed by levels on the edge of the map that have maybe a hidden exit. Like, push this box out of the way to find a hidden door. Or use this item here to blow a hole in the background revealing a tunnel. Or carry this feul over here to fill the spaceship with it and then get on to blast to the moon. The hidden levels would only have one section, but if you got to the end you'd unlock something or get a prize. Depending on how hard the level was, they'd be more difficult to reach. Like I said above, some could be accessed by pushing a box but others would be more complex, like freeing the alien-abducted monkey and following it to a certain spot where it shows the way to the hidden level. If you fail to follow it or fall behind, it'll take another route or just close the secret exit behind, so you'll have to redo the level to get another chance.

What about timed events, where, if you take so long on a level something will happen...very nonspecific, yes, but really anything could happen. ie. If you take to long in a processing level (I'm assuming that means assembly line) then something will go wrong with the assembly line and create a new set of obstacles. Like, it'll start shooting cans or whatever it is they make there all over the place and steam will spew out.

Just some ideas.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2007, 06:27:15 PM »

But maybe a tutorial breaking down how it's made sometime?  That could be applied to many languages.
That'd be very nice. Kiss
Aah... just a little source code? Puh-leeeease?
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2007, 06:36:18 PM »

As far as riding a friendly creature, the Baldster could ride an enlarged Alex the Allegator!

That sounded sort of nasty. Shocked
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2007, 06:39:28 PM »

So what's the actual goal for this milestone?
Is it just to have enough ideas for all the levels or to actually begin to design levels?

At the moment ideas are being thrown around at an alarming rate and no ranking of actually how good they are and whether they would fit.

Personally I think all the stuff about NPC's may be too much. You could probably use NPC's for one of the puzzles (i.e. one of the house levels could have a family feud and you need to organise items around to please them). With the level map as it is, there are only about 3/4 levels for each world which means that you need very few 'unique' aspects to produce very unique puzzles.

I'd probably suggest going through each world in turn to try and focus on which features would work for THOSE 3/4 levels and what would make each level 'a minigame in it's own right' (to quote Arne). That way we don't have hundreds of ideas lying all over the place...

At the moment I can't keep track of any of the ideas and I'm sure I'm not the only one...

Last release: sync::routine
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic