Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1386948 Posts in 66495 Topics- by 59045 Members - Latest Member: bluelion27

January 16, 2021, 09:59:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDrone Control: a 3D space shooter with strategy elements
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Drone Control: a 3D space shooter with strategy elements  (Read 820 times)
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2020, 03:36:00 AM »

Hi!

When I originally started developing this game I wanted it to be a multiplayer 3D space shooter, where the game modes were inspired by games like Battlefield. But at some point I realized that multiplayer games were not fun for me to develop so I decided to change the project into a singleplayer game.

Right now the first level/mission is ready, it acts as the first part of the tutorial. I want the new-player-experience to be smooth from the start so I am starting with the tutorial missions first, and build upon them.

You can test it here: https://robertbleyl.itch.io/drone-control

If you play in your browser make sure you play fullscreen! Chrome also has way better performance than Firefox. If you have low FPS try one of the platform-dependent files.

Since this a tutorial mission I'd like feedback on the following:
- Pacing: Do you have enough time to read the texts and defeat the enemies?
- Difficulty: Are the enemies easy or hard to defeat?
- Controls: Are they explained clearly? Did you understand what the Decoupled Mode does?
- Understanding: Do you have trouble at any point following the tutorial instructions?

Now there are still some place holder assets in there (the defense turret is just a sphere for instance), don't focus on that right now :D

Any feedback will be much appreciated!
jbarrios
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »

Hi RobertBleyl,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 04:42:01 AM »

Hi RobertBleyl,
I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

Thank you taking your time and playing all the way through the first mission Smiley
The target reticle is in fact not supposed to be flickering like that. The screen capture is cropped off at the top and the bottom so I was unable to get a look at the FPS in the top right. Is it very low or very high? I had some trouble in the past with very high FPS and timing stuff. I thought I fixed that however Smiley
Maybe that's a problem with the recording software you use? Could you try it out again without recording? Also how did you play it? In browser (if yes: which browser) or one of the 3 platform downloads?
It was encouraging to hear you liking the graphics design and the combat. I will try to make the enemies in this tutorial mission a bit easier.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:26:20 PM by RobertBleyl » Logged
pablasso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »

Hi Robert! I tested your Linux build. Here are some thoughts:

- I really liked that you included some way to target the enemies automatically, I would have been lost without it
- I didn't enjoy the maneuverability of the Drone, it felt a bit slow all the time. Specially while changing directions.
- The secondary attack felt great, the primary was a bit boring.
- I wasn't able to tell easily if I was hitting an enemy until they died.
- It was hard to tell if I was dying because I got hit or I just crashed into an asteroid.

Good luck!
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 11:19:18 PM »

Hi Robert! I tested your Linux build. Here are some thoughts:

- I really liked that you included some way to target the enemies automatically, I would have been lost without it
- I didn't enjoy the maneuverability of the Drone, it felt a bit slow all the time. Specially while changing directions.
- The secondary attack felt great, the primary was a bit boring.
- I wasn't able to tell easily if I was hitting an enemy until they died.
- It was hard to tell if I was dying because I got hit or I just crashed into an asteroid.

Good luck!

Thanks for you feedback!

- That's a standard feature of the 3D space combat genre - without these "prediction reticles" no one would be able to hit anything :D They aren't perfect though: if the target moves a long a curve, the prediction get's fuzzy because the math behind it works best for straight lines. But it works reasonably well at least Wink

- I got that from other testers as well, so I decided to increase the speed of the ship. I also made the "space dust" effect more noticeable, this should give a better feel of speed.

- That is also a recurring feedback, and I have to agree. This probably stems from the fact that I originally designed the weapons for a multiplayer game. Every ship type had these simple standard weapons and their own unique special weapons. I made sure that the weapons were balanced so no ship type would be able to dominate other ship types in a multiplayer match. But since it's now gonna be a singleplayer game I should overthink this completely - who cares about "balance" - it should be fun, the player should feel powerful! I will tackle this soon Smiley

- There actual is a sound effect when you hit an enemy, and explosions should be visible when hitting.

- I will indeed need to add a proper visual and sound effect when the player get's hit Smiley

Thanks again for taking your time to test my early build Smiley
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:26:44 PM by RobertBleyl » Logged
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 09:03:36 AM »

A new update just went live!

I did a rework on the weapons. The fast-firing gatling gun is now the standard weapon and you can now also fire heatseeking missiles with a lock-on feature.

The ingame GUI also received a lot of attention, using a better color palette and trying to make everything more clear.

Please ignore the main menu GUI, didn't bother yet making this look good Wink

Tell me what you think about the new build! Link is still the same: https://robertbleyl.itch.io/drone-control
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 09:59:04 AM »

The second mission is now online! This one introduces a lot of new mechanics and features.

I have already plans for the third mission (which should be the last tutorial mission), but right now I would like feedback on mission #2:

1. Are you able to follow with the tutorial texts? Is everything conveyed clearly?
2. Are you at any point overwhelmed or confused?
3. How is the difficulty?

If you haven't played mission #1 yet: you should absolutely do that first, or you will not know key elements of the game!

I decided to ditch the web player for my game as it was causing more trouble than it was worth it. It is highly browser dependent and you just won't get good performance with it. So Windows, Mac and Linux it is Smiley

And yes, the Inhibitor only has a cube placeholder model right now. Will be replaced at some point Wink

Tell me what you think!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 11:44:49 AM by RobertBleyl » Logged
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 07:29:28 AM »

I finally got some music in there! Also: all sounds have been migrated to FMOD, making everything sound much more dynamic.

What do you think about the music? There are 3 "intensity" levels, determined by the number of enemies present. So when the music picks up it tells the player that things are getting more serious Smiley

Have fun Smiley
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 08:12:43 AM »

A new update just went online (here the link again: https://robertbleyl.itch.io/drone-control).

I redesigned the first tutorial mission. New players are now not fighting off enemies while reading new tutorial texts - should have done that from the beginning Smiley

There is now a shield impact effect indicating when your ship gets hit. It also flashes up when other ships or buildings get hit of course :D

What do you think of the 2 available missions? Are you able to follow the tutorial instructions or is there still some confusion?
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 09:53:12 AM »

The final tutorial mission is now finished! It introduces new game mechanics for crowd control, 2 new weapons and 2 new enemy types.

I finally got around to improve the main menu as well, it's much less a "work in progress" now Smiley

Tell me what you think about the tutorials!
mobilelast
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 01:49:25 PM »

Great, unique visuals. The golden material feels especially fresh. Camera movements are well thought, and it is visually impressive to fly among the asteroids. Controls took some time to get used to, but I'm starting to learn. Dogfighting is intensive and fun. I didn't get into the strategy side yet, so I have to play some more.

Some suggestions:
- Enemies and enemy indicators disappear easily to the background. Although the graphics are great, they might need more variance (enemy ships with different materials would be easier to recognize) and contrast (darker skybox would make ships stand out).
- More bombastic audio, especially for thrusters, would make the battle even more intensive.
- Issue that occurs in many games (including my own): even though the game runs in full screen, the player is now able to move the mouse cursor to the neighboring monitor. For instance, I'm running the game in the right-hand display, and when I take crosshair to the left edge of the screen, the mouse cursor slips easily onto the left monitor. And as I am shooting furiously, the clicking unfocuses the game window, leaving me unable to control the ship. In Unity, setting Cursor.lockState = CursorLockMode.Confined might fix the problem.

The game has improved a lot since I last tried it (two-three months ago, if I remember right). I'm eager to see what will happen in the future.
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 02:59:15 AM »

Great, unique visuals. The golden material feels especially fresh. Camera movements are well thought, and it is visually impressive to fly among the asteroids. Controls took some time to get used to, but I'm starting to learn. Dogfighting is intensive and fun. I didn't get into the strategy side yet, so I have to play some more.

Some suggestions:
- Enemies and enemy indicators disappear easily to the background. Although the graphics are great, they might need more variance (enemy ships with different materials would be easier to recognize) and contrast (darker skybox would make ships stand out).
- More bombastic audio, especially for thrusters, would make the battle even more intensive.
- Issue that occurs in many games (including my own): even though the game runs in full screen, the player is now able to move the mouse cursor to the neighboring monitor. For instance, I'm running the game in the right-hand display, and when I take crosshair to the left edge of the screen, the mouse cursor slips easily onto the left monitor. And as I am shooting furiously, the clicking unfocuses the game window, leaving me unable to control the ship. In Unity, setting Cursor.lockState = CursorLockMode.Confined might fix the problem.

The game has improved a lot since I last tried it (two-three months ago, if I remember right). I'm eager to see what will happen in the future.

Thanks for your feedback!

- I'm not sure yet what I should do in regarding visibility of enemies and markers. I was unable to find other skyboxes that are both free (this is a small hobby of mine, spending money on assets is not gonna happen :D) and of such high quality. At the end of the day it is also not exactly necessary to see the enemy ships very clearly - you will only need to see the target marker properly. This is probably where I could add some improvements.

- The thruster sound is something I experimented with, but getting a high quality free sound effect that you actually can loop is hard. I also don't think that bombastic thruster sounds work that well with the game anyway. The music is in the foreground already (by design) so adding even more noise to the mix seems a bad idea.

- Indeed, I completely forgot about cursor confinement. I will change this in my next update Smiley

I am in fact in the process of redoing the weapon and enemy designs in terms of functionality. Having one weapon for each enemy type is actually rather boring as it completely removes any decision making for the player - it just devolves into "paint by numbers". So I will take a more classic approach to weapon design Smiley
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 07:03:24 AM »

The weapon redesign I mentioned is done! I was quite busy the last weeks so there are a bunch of changes since my last post here:
- Weapon redesign: there are 3 weapon types that each have an optimal usage range
- Mission: after the 3 tutorials there are now also 3 proper missions! It is expected that you have to try these missions a few times before beating them as they ramp up the difficulty quite a bit Smiley
- Speaking of difficulty: you can adjust multiple aspects of the difficulty at any point in the options menu. What settings did you end up with? Smiley
- File size: it appears that disabling "static batching" does not make Unity duplicate model assets for each level Wink So instead of over 500 Mb you now only need to download around 87 Mb!

What star rating were you able to get at the end of each tutorial and mission? Smiley
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 06:12:23 AM »

A new update is now live! Here are the changes:

- Tutorial 3 was split into 2 separate tutorials to create "smaller bites".
- A 4th mission has been added where you have an abundance of resources but also lots of enemies at once.
- Video and Control options are now available.
- Enemy ship destructions have been visually improved.
- Various small improvements and bug fixes.

I also created a short video showcasing the core gameplay:

Tell me what you think Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic