Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1383840 Posts in 66184 Topics- by 58607 Members - Latest Member: Aqua789

October 29, 2020, 08:49:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDrone Control: a 3D space shooter with strategy elements
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Drone Control: a 3D space shooter with strategy elements  (Read 196 times)
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2020, 03:36:00 AM »

Hi!

When I originally started developing this game I wanted it to be a multiplayer 3D space shooter, where the game modes were inspired by games like Battlefield. But at some point I realized that multiplayer games were not fun for me to develop so I decided to change the project into a singleplayer game.

Right now the first level/mission is ready, it acts as the first part of the tutorial. I want the new-player-experience to be smooth from the start so I am starting with the tutorial missions first, and build upon them.

You can test it here: https://robertbleyl.itch.io/drone-control

If you play in your browser make sure you play fullscreen! Chrome also has way better performance than Firefox. If you have low FPS try one of the platform-dependent files.

Since this a tutorial mission I'd like feedback on the following:
- Pacing: Do you have enough time to read the texts and defeat the enemies?
- Difficulty: Are the enemies easy or hard to defeat?
- Controls: Are they explained clearly? Did you understand what the Decoupled Mode does?
- Understanding: Do you have trouble at any point following the tutorial instructions?

Now there are still some place holder assets in there (the defense turret is just a sphere for instance), don't focus on that right now :D

Any feedback will be much appreciated!
jbarrios
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »

Hi RobertBleyl,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 04:42:01 AM »

Hi RobertBleyl,
I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

Thank you taking your time and playing all the way through the first mission Smiley
The target reticle is in fact not supposed to be flickering like that. The screen capture is cropped off at the top and the bottom so I was unable to get a look at the FPS in the top right. Is it very low or very high? I had some trouble in the past with very high FPS and timing stuff. I thought I fixed that however Smiley
Maybe that's a problem with the recording software you use? Could you try it out again without recording? Also how did you play it? In browser (if yes: which browser) or one of the 3 platform downloads?
It was encouraging to hear you liking the graphics design and the combat. I will try to make the enemies in this tutorial mission a bit easier.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:26:20 PM by RobertBleyl » Logged
pablasso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »

Hi Robert! I tested your Linux build. Here are some thoughts:

- I really liked that you included some way to target the enemies automatically, I would have been lost without it
- I didn't enjoy the maneuverability of the Drone, it felt a bit slow all the time. Specially while changing directions.
- The secondary attack felt great, the primary was a bit boring.
- I wasn't able to tell easily if I was hitting an enemy until they died.
- It was hard to tell if I was dying because I got hit or I just crashed into an asteroid.

Good luck!
RobertBleyl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 11:19:18 PM »

Hi Robert! I tested your Linux build. Here are some thoughts:

- I really liked that you included some way to target the enemies automatically, I would have been lost without it
- I didn't enjoy the maneuverability of the Drone, it felt a bit slow all the time. Specially while changing directions.
- The secondary attack felt great, the primary was a bit boring.
- I wasn't able to tell easily if I was hitting an enemy until they died.
- It was hard to tell if I was dying because I got hit or I just crashed into an asteroid.

Good luck!

Thanks for you feedback!

- That's a standard feature of the 3D space combat genre - without these "prediction reticles" no one would be able to hit anything :D They aren't perfect though: if the target moves a long a curve, the prediction get's fuzzy because the math behind it works best for straight lines. But it works reasonably well at least Wink

- I got that from other testers as well, so I decided to increase the speed of the ship. I also made the "space dust" effect more noticeable, this should give a better feel of speed.

- That is also a recurring feedback, and I have to agree. This probably stems from the fact that I originally designed the weapons for a multiplayer game. Every ship type had these simple standard weapons and their own unique special weapons. I made sure that the weapons were balanced so no ship type would be able to dominate other ship types in a multiplayer match. But since it's now gonna be a singleplayer game I should overthink this completely - who cares about "balance" - it should be fun, the player should feel powerful! I will tackle this soon Smiley

- There actual is a sound effect when you hit an enemy, and explosions should be visible when hitting.

- I will indeed need to add a proper visual and sound effect when the player get's hit Smiley

Thanks again for taking your time to test my early build Smiley
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:26:44 PM by RobertBleyl » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic