Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:47:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Making Explosions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making Explosions  (Read 3966 times)
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2020, 10:12:17 AM »

My game lacks cool explosions and I feel like this could be an area where I could make a lot of improvements. Currently I tend to just layer what I have, so in the end it's quite costly for performance. If I had cooler explosions, I could get away with less particles.

I've made quite a lot of explosions myself using the really old cinema 4d 8.5, but they don't really look that great + take ages to render. I've looked into Blender, but I did not manage to create anything worth using. Might just need to invest a lot more time to get the hang of it.

Are there any cool tools that you know of or use to make explosions?

Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 06:41:16 PM »

The particle system in Unity is super robust. There's a script to render those frames to a png sequence. I haven't tried it yet myself but I sure as hell will.

Plus the particle system is really fun to play with.

Oh god make it stop.
barta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 05:09:46 AM »

i always make effects using only code, without animating anything outside of Unity.
rocket exhausts, waves, smoke, trails or explosions, 2d or 3d, it always looks cool.
but i do abstract cartoony graphics... for realistic graphics i don't know.

if you aren't doing it already, you can use object pooling to improve performance.
reuse the particles instead of destroying them and creating new ones every time.
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 01:29:50 AM »

I'm using my own game engine and have my own little particle system, I just think having some nicer explosion sprites could improve the visuals at a lower cost than spawning lots of particles. Thanks for the tip with Unity, will give it a try!

hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:59:24 PM »

Looks stressful.

I'd suggest a one simple sprite, it just isn't as cool then. I use around 50 elements to make it work and it to look nice.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic