Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:19:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralShare your FUNK
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Share your FUNK  (Read 16260 times)
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 07:43:40 PM »

velocirection
Level 2

Your favorite pizza raptor game developer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 12:29:21 PM »

You know, I never thought of that song as "funky" but it does have a bit of funk influence to it (though a bit more blues influence than funk)

https://twitter.com/velocirection
(WARNING- NSFW, 18+! Adults only!)
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2020, 08:47:45 PM »

I understand now that boundaries between noise and sound are conventions. All boundaries are conventions, waiting to be transcended. One may transcend any convention if only one can first conceive of doing so.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2020, 11:04:03 PM »

Games still aren't art though.

Oh wait, wrong topic :p
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2020, 01:02:22 PM »

In Bill Shatner's voice from Star Trek 2: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

Sarah Boeving
Level 0

hmm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2020, 05:52:26 AM »

Just saw this sweet funk cover on twitter-

Sarah Boeving - 2D/Pixel Artist - Portfolio - Recently worked on REM Cycles!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2020, 05:54:14 AM »

The hat makes it at least 10x funkier
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2020, 12:57:38 PM »

velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 12:55:35 AM »

Wooow that's really cool OwO!!!

This is really cool too btw

Also a coworker told me about this YT channel and found this playlist:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 03:03:01 AM »

Nice! Something about this makes me want to play Transport Tycoon again, even though it's not quite the same style as that game's soundtrack

Also, is "Congress" a pun on Parliament?

Speaking of which

... which of course brings us to Funkadelic

You know that stage when you're in a new group of people where you're between being acquaintances and becoming actual friends? Well, about fifteen years ago, in my first year of art school one of my classmates invited the whole class to her apartment during that phase. She turned out to be a stoner (by Dutch standards, so think chain smoker of weed) who decided that the seventies are her decade, despite being born at the end of it. But in her defense she seems to be pretty authentic (whatever "authentic" is). Her place was a glorious thing of no-budget salvaged and restored seventies design. A real labour of love. Tons of wavy shapes, orange circles (why was that thing, by the way?), furniture with those rounded shapes. Permanent weed smell infused into the wallpaper of course. Like, I wasn't around back then but I still felt like I stepped through a time portal entering her apartment.

So I get to meet her boyfriend, super chill guy, and we immediately got along really well. After a couple of minutes of chatting about life and whatever he's suddenly like "dude... I really, really want you to listen to this record." Sure you do buddy, and I'm really, really resistant to that idea, because 99% of the time when people introduce me to their music I'm just sitting there awkwardly, not getting "it". Not the kind awkwardness I need when first meeting someone. Also, back then I was basically a straight edger (and, apparently, a bit of a dick at times), so as the only sober person at the party I'm quietly thinking to myself that whatever he's thinking of, I won't be stoned enough to appreciate it.

But he insists and after a while I relent. He searches through the huge shelf full of vinyls and pulls out... Maggot Brain. Half doubtful, half curious I watch him carefully put the needle on the slightly warped record, and the two of us sit down on the ground huddling around one speaker in the corner. Now, I'm sure the whole setting I just described is half of the reason for the following experience, but despite my soberness and skepticism I felt transported to another world as soon as I heard Eddie Hazel's mournful guitar. We just quietly listen to opening song together, and at the end I give him one look and he nods like "I know, right?"

Then we listen to the rest of the record, and that was actually my first proper introduction to funk
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2020, 01:51:57 PM »

I think this album is actually funky for realz:

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 05:30:10 PM »

I give this thread a special award
velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2020, 12:13:24 AM »

Nice! Something about this makes me want to play Transport Tycoon again, even though it's not quite the same style as that game's soundtrack

Also, is "Congress" a pun on Parliament?

Speaking of which

... which of course brings us to Funkadelic

You know that stage when you're in a new group of people where you're between being acquaintances and becoming actual friends? Well, about fifteen years ago, in my first year of art school one of my classmates invited the whole class to her apartment during that phase. She turned out to be a stoner (by Dutch standards, so think chain smoker of weed) who decided that the seventies are her decade, despite being born at the end of it. But in her defense she seems to be pretty authentic (whatever "authentic" is). Her place was a glorious thing of no-budget salvaged and restored seventies design. A real labour of love. Tons of wavy shapes, orange circles (why was that thing, by the way?), furniture with those rounded shapes. Permanent weed smell infused into the wallpaper of course. Like, I wasn't around back then but I still felt like I stepped through a time portal entering her apartment.

So I get to meet her boyfriend, super chill guy, and we immediately got along really well. After a couple of minutes of chatting about life and whatever he's suddenly like "dude... I really, really want you to listen to this record." Sure you do buddy, and I'm really, really resistant to that idea, because 99% of the time when people introduce me to their music I'm just sitting there awkwardly, not getting "it". Not the kind awkwardness I need when first meeting someone. Also, back then I was basically a straight edger (and, apparently, a bit of a dick at times), so as the only sober person at the party I'm quietly thinking to myself that whatever he's thinking of, I won't be stoned enough to appreciate it.

But he insists and after a while I relent. He searches through the huge shelf full of vinyls and pulls out... Maggot Brain. Half doubtful, half curious I watch him carefully put the needle on the slightly warped record, and the two of us sit down on the ground huddling around one speaker in the corner. Now, I'm sure the whole setting I just described is half of the reason for the following experience, but despite my soberness and skepticism I felt transported to another world as soon as I heard Eddie Hazel's mournful guitar. We just quietly listen to opening song together, and at the end I give him one look and he nods like "I know, right?"

Then we listen to the rest of the record, and that was actually my first proper introduction to funk

Lol I was listening to maggot brain before reading your story and thought "Dang this is some stoner music" :p it's good of course don't get me wrong- I do enjoy this type of funky stuff as well. I actually had a similar experience with some coworkers who were quite... interesting, they were a couple and were like "hey come over to our apartment" so I did and of course they had me listen to Pink Floyd (which I already enjoyed at the time) but also introduced me to King Crimson and some other stoner rock music. Though, they weren't smoking weed at that moment they were indeed weed people.

They were really new-agey back then and kind of bought into the 2012 thing and they were pretty neat back then. I saw them couple years ago and hung out with them but like they kind of became sort of Trump people and like idk I'm not a politic-y person but I'm not a Trump fan and that's what they were talking about a lot then.

Anyway, that was a nice story :3

I do like psychedelic or whatever kind of sound that you can think of as like "vintage" stonery stuff but never got too into it.

I will to the other stuff as well everyone who posted recs~

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2020, 01:04:23 AM »

Sounds like a cool way to be introduced to those albums too! Smiley

I personally really love "Good To Your Earhole", for some reason. Most of my friends complain it's too "busy" for them to handle but that's exactly what I love about it.

Don't think that's stoner music any more though, the band clearly moved on to different drugs at that point Wink
smartties
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2020, 07:29:00 PM »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:26:15 PM by smartties » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2020, 01:16:15 AM »

velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2020, 03:09:46 PM »

My apologies but Jobleo, that was sweet as heck performance of Flashlight! Parliament Funkadelic is very good, I was listening to more of there stuff the other day.

Yeah baby I love Cameo!!! This is awesome! Shocked

Also this is very good as well, everyone got so much good music to share it's amazing :3

Sounds like a cool way to be introduced to those albums too! Smiley

I personally really love "Good To Your Earhole", for some reason. Most of my friends complain it's too "busy" for them to handle but that's exactly what I love about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAHzj71EUu4

Don't think that's stoner music any more though, the band clearly moved on to different drugs at that point Wink

Also this lives up to the name, it is good to your earhole~

And I recommend listening to this before it gets taken down inexplicably:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2020, 05:23:37 AM »

Ooooh, thank you for that link

Also, no apologies needed, Maggot Brain def is stoner funk Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 05:39:44 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
Sarah Boeving
Level 0

hmm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2020, 08:07:34 AM »

Not sure if someone has already shared Breakbot but they have some great funky tunes too like this one-

Sarah Boeving - 2D/Pixel Artist - Portfolio - Recently worked on REM Cycles!
velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2020, 02:05:26 AM »

Not sure if someone has already shared Breakbot but they have some great funky tunes too like this one-

Whoops! Posted w/o actually saying anything! That was really pretty and I'll be listening to more breakbot for sure.

I haven't listened to a lot of funk lately, just a lot of Rush (the rock band, of course!) and some ambient stuff here and there. But I think it's time to get back to listening to funk  Well, hello there!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic