Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:13:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsyrkkey's paradise
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: yrkkey's paradise  (Read 11483 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 08:47:10 PM »

sound effects

GAMEPLAY!!!

Hello!!! Floppy disks, computers, towers, raccoon game has it all!!! Trash cans are the funniest item in the game. I hope this videogame ends up making sense to another human being. It's... weird

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2020, 05:44:09 AM »

I am taking one entire day away from this game today. Doing some other work in the meantime. Need a bit of space from the implementation. Brain on fire. Chill out, brain.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2020, 06:28:47 PM »

I'm back Smiley
The game is in an interesting/good place. You can enter cyberspace (gasp) but after a conversation with Paolo (my editor @ Take Shape), I want to make meatspace feel meatier.

Tonight's plan: make a 3x3 tile modular computer. Trying to find something inspired by:

Dorohedoro
Girls' Last Tour
... omfg wait maybe I can steal one of the big sister's machines from Shimeji Simulation...
Saturn Apartments
maybe, uhh, oh I can't remember the name, but those are roughly my points of inspiration.
Maybe some Ghibli movies have the right feeling too.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2020, 09:52:22 PM »

wip

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 09:06:59 PM »

edit: oops this is not how it's supposed to work

edit 2: much better

« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:27:17 PM by droqen » Logged

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 12:05:28 PM »

leaps and strides!

your M.Y. Compey is not properly hooked up

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 03:28:26 PM »

It's coming together. No visuals to share, but I've tweeted some images I haven't put up here if you're really curious.
Taking a break for the rest of the day because I've not been doing enough mindful break-taking!
Have a good Thursday everyone <3

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2020, 06:52:01 PM »

candidate for 1st thing you see when you start the game

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 07:18:00 PM »

Been a while since I posted an update! Let's see, what's happened since last time?

I made a nice debug menu for myself to access cyberspace and deeper levels more easily. I did this with HMDL issue 0 too and damn is it a lifesaver - both a timesaver and for my focus! Without this, the early game would (and does) get a lot more attention than the later parts of the game.

Hopefully this dev-side QoL feature will let me focus on cyberspace a bit better... I am nightmarishly distractable u_u

This is the very first thing that shows as soon as I run the game so it gives me lots of access to whatever I need to play with right away Smiley in particular I find it annoying/distracting to be blasted with the first few seconds of music and any sound effects that might be playing when I'm just testing something out, so I might actually make muted the default for this.. we'll see.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 07:25:18 PM by droqen » Logged

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2020, 10:47:00 PM »

i like it. the art looks cool. big fan of droqen games in general

@doomlaser, mark johns
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 02:01:11 PM »

i'm.... i had the opposite of a brain fart, and i figured out what cyberspace is going to be... hard to explain, i want a bit of a 'combat' feeling but it'll probably be 100% avoidance (there's an old game i made a long time ago called "PUSH DEVIL" that i'm modelling it after. think lode runner! but without the pits!)

+ this kinda RPG game loop, where you move between bastions of safety ("towns") in a linear fashion. you'll get to talk to NPCs in the towns, who are just different avatars of the characters in the real world.

it makes sense in my head! crazy ramblings out here, but it'll make sense to me when i read this again in the future too.

also thanks golds!! Who, Me?

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 09:31:16 PM »

Made a nice NPC talking visual and line. The backend for this is also nice! I am happy. I should be in bed, but I spent ~75 minutes putting this together. Was this a wise decision? Who can say.

In the editor (godot), I have a scene for each individual NPC that contains all the data, but none of the NPC logic - the NPC object is generic, and just spawns this scene and steals all its data and then deletes it Smiley

Also I have to add this one line of code to associate the item in the tilemap (tile #80) with the action to "spawn rtNPC and associate it with the SJKRacon npc-conversational-data scene".

... actually I think I could probably associate a Racon with any tile. Neat.

edit (again): I suppose the last item of interest would be how I lay out my tilesheet! I use Tiled to edit my levels. The tilemap for this particular area currently looks like the below image. Note that pretty much all of it is going unused at the moment. It's a tilemap and also my messy pixel sketchpad for this area.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 09:41:18 PM by droqen » Logged

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2020, 06:47:24 AM »

re-used the NPC talking code to make this key tell you how to use it Tongue
i probably won't keep this in the final game, but it's cute

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2020, 09:19:53 PM »

Another very simple early level!

Thinking about names for this game now, and yrkkey's paradise is sticking at the moment for whatever reason...

~

OH, and much nicer tilework now than before for this area Smiley

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2020, 03:05:47 PM »

Save data! The location and identity and status of every movable object (computer parts!) in the world is stored in this one file. TERRIFYING,TBH

I was putting this off, but it wasn't too bad... took about two and a half hours.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2020, 01:27:27 PM »

HELLO, if you'd like to try this game out I'm trying to get a small # of playtesters at a time, so I need to manage things carefully. If you want to get on the list, I made a google form you can sign up on here: the playtest signup sheet!

Thank you!

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2020, 08:15:39 AM »

Things really ramped into overdrive. Since the last post, I...

- Sent the game to a few playtesters, and got some feedback. There were some feature requests that I tried out. One of them was to be able to 'swap' tiles for ease of world manipulation, and I did it! It felt pretty good! But there were some edge cases where it caused other things to act weird, and rather than solve those cases in inconsistent ways I went back to the original system where rearranging can just be a bit tedious.

- Added a bunch of data to be saved (e.g the game remembers whether you were in cyberspace or not and loads you into the proper world) Fixed some massive issues with the saving system as a result, where sometimes every entity in the world would be deleted! Seemed pretty important to get that one right. Like a solid half-day of bugfixes

- Added the end of the game.

- The end of the game relied a lot on NPCs, so added a lot of NPCs and a buuuunch of super super super rough writing.

- Made a new build with all the NPCs, the ending, the writing, and send that version (0.8.0) off to several playtesters last night, and now just sitting around trying not to think about it until they get back to me. I wasn't going to post here but I'm just waiting for bacon to cook actually brb gotta check on my bacon

edit: bacon was fine.

- Anyway I edited the first post of this thread (and the title) to reflect the name change (though I am going to discuss it with my editor in an hour and a half, so we'll see if it sticks) and again, if you want to help out by playing & giving feedback on the latest build, signups for (eventually) playtesting are open: https://forms.gle/ZhSEYSWJ9zjgrTjp8
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 08:25:46 AM by droqen » Logged

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2020, 09:55:20 PM »

discussed the name with editor. hopefully it hits other people well because i think the name's sticking.

the raccoon game is now officially called YRKKEY'S PARADISE

i will be applying for various local and international trademarks over the next week or so, please don't trademark snipe me''
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:05:09 PM by droqen » Logged

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2021, 07:54:32 PM »

I put the finishing touches on Yrkkey's Paradise,a nd release is now on the tip of my tongue - but we're not there yet! I've sent it off to my editor, and it will be coming out sometime later this year (hopefully soon) alongside take shape. That's all I know.

* It feels weird not just releasing it as soon as it's done. But it's a bit relaxing, it gives me some time to chill out and let my emotions about the work settle Smiley I'm looking forward to seeing how the release goes! Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:05:34 PM by droqen » Logged

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2021, 11:30:34 PM »

That's cool, even though it means you have to deal with having to wait Wink All the best to you for the release!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic