Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:16:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnending
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unending  (Read 825 times)
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2020, 12:24:37 PM »

A sequel to a puzzle game about movement and death.

The game is currently hosted at itch.io in two forms.
  • A free browser based teaser.
  • A downloadable paid alpha.

https://st33d.itch.io/unending

The Alpha can load the screenshots below and allow you to play what you can see depicted (the data is stored at the bottom of the image as the blue static). It can also save such screenshots if you want to share your progress. There is a functioning level / campaign editor within the game but it is mostly for my own use.

At the time of writing this I am posting a map-screenshot every day to Twitter under the hashtag #UnendingDaily

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UnendingDaily

The devlog for the preceding game can be found here:

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=31065.0

Unending differs from Ending in several ways:

• The underlying logic of the game is slightly different.
  • Ending was designed to be compact and finite. Unending is not.
  • The map data has been redesigned to allow many more mechanics.
  • There are many more mechanics.
  • You can undo moves - including during the roguelike mode.
  • The puzzles (when I've finished making them) will be presented as a non-linear map.
  • The roguelike mode is significantly changed and still being developed.

Most of my updates will still be posted on the itch.io dev log, but I will try to check in here every now and then. I will also answer any questions folks have for me.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:52:34 AM by st33d » Logged
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 07:51:51 AM »

Time for an update...

I played Shiren the Wanderer 5 on the Switch and was inspired. It's a turn based roguelike with a dense amount of mechanics. But it also has lots of optional dungeons to try. And a puzzle mode. And minesweeper.

This helped me visualise a way forwards: Lots of different dungeons.

I think what worked in Ending was the small selection of mechanics. I like the infinite variety of the endless dungeon, but it stops one from exploring specific aspects of play.

More dungeons means new types of player, like the player-turner. This form makes you very vulnerable, but it also allows you to pass turns in place by facing new directions. I've been making lots of new puzzles with this form to figure out a new dungeon.

In the meantime, Ending fans can enjoy a mostly faithful recreation of the prequel to Unending in Unending. Offering almost the same experience but with better controls, gamepad support, and the ability to save and share your progress. Like so:

Unending Daily continues. I'm thinking that when I have around 200 puzzles saved I'll create a new puzzle campaign. A 1st draft. Unlike Ending there will be a non-linear progression. I think that once you hit a certain quantity of mechanics you need to let people explore avenues that interest them.

I'm thinking about that eventual Steam page I'll have to put up. I want at least 3 dungeons and a fun if not completely solid puzzle campaign before that happens. After that, more puzzles, more dungeons, more mechanics.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic