Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:09:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignTrading/negotiating mini game mechanics.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Trading/negotiating mini game mechanics.  (Read 3379 times)
Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2020, 04:18:05 PM »

There's a cool one in Theme Park where you have to tease a negotiation that only ends when 2 hands meet to shake:

...but I'm having trouble thinking/finding more. Anyone know of something in that vein?

Thanks!

Oh god make it stop.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 04:23:35 PM »

There are a lot more of those kinds of things in tabletop games where you have two humans interacting than with AIs. I remember a game about negotiating the price of artworks via auction and so on.

Here's one of my favorite TV bits about negotiation:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 02:29:59 AM »

Quest for Glory III had a very simple negotiation mechanic, as I recall: In the "purchase" interface, the player had the ability to "bargain", allowing them to adjust the amount offered. Having made an offer, the NPC would then respond, and if called for and allowed a new offer might be made. I think that success here may have depended both on the player's offers and on a relevant character-stat.

(With the exception of the character Kalb, who would accept absolutely any offer made!)

(I've seen the same idea in other games too, I seem to think--possibly in Quest for Glory II for one.)

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 03:24:51 AM »

Oh yeah, "Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale" had a bit of a haggling mechanic I think the system was that you name prices and based on how high you go, they change their price to go up. But if you counter offer them 3 times or if you make an offer that is too high you don't get the sale?

Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 05:00:16 PM »

Oh yea that's nice and simple, thanks! That's the kind of example I'm looking for! I found another while I've been searching, it's in Black Desert Online...

...and I just remembered that Stardew Valley has an excellent fishing game that might be repurposed/tweaked into a bargaining game...

That bit from 30 rock is awesome!

Oh god make it stop.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic