Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1385187 Posts in 66327 Topics- by 58809 Members - Latest Member: foggermachine

November 28, 2020, 05:01:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBitsy style platformer creator
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bitsy style platformer creator  (Read 224 times)
lobstersteve
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2020, 10:30:38 AM »

Hello there  Smiley

So i started this project. I'm not 100% sure yet, which direction to go with it, but so far it was fun jamming with it, and i'll definitely will stick to it for a while.
The idea was to make a super accessible game creator in the style of bitsy, where you can create a platformer game, by simply drawing stuff on the screen.

It is done 100% with vanilla javascript, without help of 3rd party libraries, or even sprite sheets -> it's all code.
Therefore, it runs in the browser, and the whole game could either be exported as a javascript game file, or, the other option would be, to make it possible to save the game data in a database (mario maker style).

My next plans for upcoming features are:

• more interactive elements (first some generic things like trampolines, shooting canons, etc.). But i also have some more unique elements in mind, to make this game creator stand out. One general goal is, for the elements to be interactive between each other, and have multiple possible use cases.  
  • player mechanics that can be activated/deactivate per game (walljump, double jump, dash..)
  • maybe redrawable sprites. which would be a cool feature, and easy to implement, but a concern i have is, that users could redraw the elements in a way, that they are not recognizeable as what they are anymore (trampoline doesn't look like a trampoline anymore, but behaves like one). I'll have to think about that
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:35:53 AM by lobstersteve » Logged

Prinsessa
Level 10

Ava Skoog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 10:40:24 AM »

This is cool! I think people would have a lot of fun messing around with something like this if it's accessible from a browser. Reminds me of some old Flash things I would play way back in the day.

The art is very nice and self-explanatory too (like regular platforms versus ones you can jump through), so I can see the issue you mentioned with customisation. Maybe you could just offer some themes and palette swaps? c:

lobstersteve
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 10:48:50 AM »

thx  Smiley
The art is very nice and self-explanatory too (like regular platforms versus ones you can jump through), so I can see the issue you mentioned with customisation. Maybe you could just offer some themes and palette swaps? c:
yeah, i was also thinking about palette swaps, or maybe only allowing to redraw the player. i really don't know yet Shrug

lobstersteve
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 02:06:39 PM »

It's been a while since i posted, but i've been working on the game here and there in the after-hours Smiley
The most obvious things i added are more game-elements. For now: trampolines and disappearing blocks.

The disappearing blocks work in a way, where they don't reappear as long as the player is in the way, which might lead to some interesting level ideas Smiley

I also took care of some game-feel stuff. The hitboxes are more forgiving to your advantage (smaller for spikes, bigger for trampolines), also i implemented coyote-jump. even though it's a minimalistic game, controlling the player should feel good Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic