Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:52:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallRING MINER
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RING MINER  (Read 590 times)
bram
Level 0

game dev addict

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »

RING MINER has a Steam Page, and can now be wish-listed!

Procedurally Generated Open World Game with a Deep Space Mining Rover.

Steam Page

RING MINER features an infinite universe with Dig-Anywhere technology and
it will enter Early Access in Dec 2020.

Bram Stolk -- Indie Game Developer and the author of \"the little crane that could\".
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 01:17:39 AM »

The tech looks promising, but what exactly is the player going to do in there? Just being able to dig anywhere can carry a game for like 10 minutes.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
bram
Level 0

game dev addict

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 09:30:09 AM »

Yeah, fair point. I put in minerals, and it will kinda be like “collect them all”

Bram Stolk -- Indie Game Developer and the author of \"the little crane that could\".
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 10:09:47 AM »

This is a one-man indie effort, which means that there is no dedicated game designer. The game will benefit from ideas that players have about the game.

This made me so nervous, but I guess my first read was incorrect - I initially thought you said 'there is no game designer' and that you were implying that every game design idea would come from players.

Expect players to burn through content way faster than you ever could, and for them to suggest/demand totally impossible stuff with no respect for your capabilities as a dev... but if you have a good filter, I can imagine it kinda working. Hope the controls feel good/interesting though, and that there's enough initial depth to the basic system that people want to play with it for a while.

Good luck with early access!

bram
Level 0

game dev addict

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 12:23:39 PM »

Thank you for the feedback.

Yeah, to be frank, I've never measured my games by the amount of content. Or even hours of gameplay.

I'm betting on offering a challenge, and that even very simple things like "Can I climb this mountain with my rover?" could keep a player occupied. Or "Can I dig through this planetoid's core?" Or "What will I find beneath the surface of this rock?"

That could be quite naive of me, I agree.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 02:59:44 PM »

I use the word 'content' VERY loosely. I could reword my statement:

If you get even a small number of interested players, expect some of them to play more than you ever could, and even more to get bored of your game faster than you ever could (whether that's because they've shattered every conceivable challenge, or because they aren't interested in the ones you've laid out).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic