Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:30:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralstarting my game dev journey and staying the course
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: starting my game dev journey and staying the course  (Read 1601 times)
jeckyll_hyde
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2020, 10:42:25 AM »

(english is not my native language)
Okay first of all im new to this whole game dev scene and ive just started fiddling around with unreal engine. Making a game has always been a dream for mine and ive started this journey hoping to bring my game ideas to fruition( my ideas are not too big in scope).But the biggest hurdle ive found is that too keep myself from falling into depression.

Im not a sociable person and i was hoping to continue my game dev journey solo. But now i understand its almost impossible for me to make a game on my own ,im fairly good with programming and im not exactly dumb when it comes to art either but the whole scope of making a game from scratch amidst all of my academic responsibilities seems monumental.

I just want to know how others kept pushing forward despite facing several challenges like this.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 07:18:18 AM »

Its hard to keep moving forward for me when I hit up against the brick wall of discoverability. I've been really privileged to keep trying and keep working on it. But some days I truly feel like destroying the entire universe.

If you are actually clinically depressed, you should talk to a professional. The right support will help you be productive. Navigating the mental health world can be rough though, so if you want to msg me about it privately I can try to help. In some ways, you are lucky you are able to know that you are depressed. Some people can be miserable and not even understand that they are really in a bad way.

Slow and steady is actually a good look in a lot of ways. To me, the foundation of good work is being healthy. If you truly have the passion to make games, when you are feeling good you will do it.

Step 1: get healthy
Step 2: make games
Step 3: rant to your therapist that the universe is too cruel to accept your genius?
Step 4: fistfight with god
Step 5: cheese it!
Step 6: create pocket dimension where you can learn to transcend the concept of having a physical body.

The rest should be pretty obvious.

Duckablo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 07:55:47 AM »

I have JUST gotten into programming/game development and everything is sooo scary. I've been following tutorials and other things to learn programming/art/engines but what I feel is best is to slow down and focus on one at first. So if you want to bring you ideas to life, focus on that first. Don't worry to much how it looks, just get the logic down. I don't know much but that's my opinion haha, goodluck!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic