Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:58:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAny books your recommend?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Any books your recommend?  (Read 2697 times)
Duckablo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2020, 11:36:30 AM »

Been reading Dune and might read 'American Gods' next. Trying to get inspired to write and make stories. Any recommendations?
Lance of Longinus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 02:56:48 AM »

That's a very broad question. Is there a genre or type of story you like the most?
Duckablo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 08:24:51 AM »

That's a very broad question. Is there a genre or type of story you like the most?
Sorry if that is a rough one, but no. I want to explore as many as I can. I am more interested in writing style, if that makes sense. Could you recommend a genre that not many people know of or are fond of? That way I can explore that! Sorry the question was too broad.
Sarah Boeving
Level 0

hmm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »

I feel like old-school sci-fi stuff is always interesting. I'd try a collection of Ray Bradbury's stuff or some of Arthur C. Clarke's stuff.

My favorite Ray Bradbury short story off the top of my head is The Sound of Thunder. As for Arthur C. Clarke, I read 2001 and 2010 Space Odyssey and remember enjoying them.

A good collection of a variety of stories and excerpts that I read in college was from Science Fiction Stories and Contexts by Heather Masri.

Hope this helps!  Coffee

Sarah Boeving - 2D/Pixel Artist - Portfolio - Recently worked on REM Cycles!
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 01:25:26 AM »

The Shockwave Rider from 1975 is a good proto-cyberpunk scifi novel that's super weird in its pacing and how the story is told.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »

Masters of Doom and Jordan Mechner's journals from the making of Prince of Persia: https://jordanmechner.com/backstage/journals/

Trying to get inspired to write and make stories.

Ohhh. The Brothers Karamazov. And also, read this interview with Kurt Vonnegut: https://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/3605/the-art-of-fiction-no-64-kurt-vonnegut

On writing:

> INTERVIEWER

> Could you put the theory into a few words?

> VONNEGUT

> It was stated by Paul Engle—the founder of the Writers Workshop at Iowa. He told me that, if the workshop ever got a building of its own, these words should be inscribed over the entrance: “Don’t take it all so seriously.”

> INTERVIEWER

> And how would that be helpful?

> VONNEGUT

> It would remind the students that they were learning to play practical jokes.

> INTERVIEWER

> Practical jokes?

> VONNEGUT

> If you make people laugh or cry about little black marks on sheets of white paper, what is that but a practical joke? All the great story lines are great practical jokes that people fall for over and over again.

> INTERVIEWER

> Can you give an example?

> VONNEGUT

> The Gothic novel. Dozens of the things are published every year, and they all sell. My friend Borden Deal recently wrote a Gothic novel for the fun of it, and I asked him what the plot was, and he said, “A young woman takes a job in an old house and gets the pants scared off her.”

> INTERVIEWER

> Some more examples?

> VONNEGUT

> The others aren’t that much fun to describe: somebody gets into trouble, and then gets out again; somebody loses something and gets it back; somebody is wronged and gets revenge; Cinderella; somebody hits the skids and just goes down, down, down; people fall in love with each other, and a lot of other people get in the way; a virtuous person is falsely accused of sin; a sinful person is believed to be virtuous; a person faces a challenge bravely, and succeeds or fails; a person lies, a person steals, a person kills, a person commits fornication.

> INTERVIEWER

> If you will pardon my saying so, these are very old-fashioned plots.

> VONNEGUT

> I guarantee you that no modern story scheme, even plotlessness, will give a reader genuine satisfaction, unless one of those old-fashioned plots is smuggled in somewhere. I don’t praise plots as accurate representations of life, but as ways to keep readers reading.

@doomlaser, mark johns
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 08:04:36 PM »

That's a great interview, but the best work on the topic of writing is this gem:

Someone once said that art is something you do, well get typing.

Lance of Longinus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 08:46:32 AM »

a genre that not many people know of or are fond of?

There's Bizarro fiction. Not well known and not very popular.

https://www.goodreads.com/genres/bizarro-fiction
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 01:42:54 PM »

I really enjoyed pretty much every book by China Mieville.

Of particular note to me: The Dowager of Bees (short story) and Perdido Street Station (long story).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 01:41:32 PM »

hardy pooter, twillit and 50 shade's
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic