Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:58:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Mario Galaxy's Graphical Effects
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Mario Galaxy's Graphical Effects  (Read 8622 times)
Zaphos
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 09:46:46 PM »

Well to post on topic, I actually thought the shadows were perfectly conceived and executed for this particular game.  Galaxy's shadows are NOT included for realism, but for gameplay purposes, to help you see where in 3D space all the objects are.  They did a really phenomenal job in that respect, and I think any additional "realism" would have worked against their purpose...
Er, are you really going to classify Golds' suggestions to do something to smooth shadow edges as "realism" which would work against their purpose?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 09:31:56 AM »

I think the only realism addition to the shadows that would cause issues to gameplay is if the shadows didn't stay right under the objects when the light source isn't directly on top (if light source is diagonal, the shadow would distance itself from the vertical axis as you jumped, which could cause problems in small platform jumping). Otherwise making the shadows prettier would have no effect on gameplay.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic