Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:31:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignAudio Led Game Design
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Audio Led Game Design  (Read 3008 times)
Purple Jam Audio
Level 0

See our work at www.PurpleJamAudio.com

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2020, 03:02:39 AM »

Hey there everybody!

Thought I'd open up a discussion on the inclusion of audio-only mechanics in games. It's a topic close to my heart given what Purple Jam does, but I'd like to see what other indie developers think about including audio only mechanics in their games.

There could be sections in a horror game where the screen is literally blank and you have to move using only binaural audio cues.

There could be a section in an action game where you're blind folded, and have to dodge attacks depending on which side they come from.

There could be fighting against visibly occluded enemies, where-in you have to judge volume using distance.

There could be puzzles where you have to draw the shape of the room just from wandering around the room hugging the wall.

I've seen the puzzles in The Witness, and there are obviously rhythm games, and games where audio adapts based on the gameplay, but I haven't seen many where it is fundamentally the mechanic.

What are your thoughts on this? Would anyone like to collaborate on a project that uses any of the above ideas?

All the best
Harry from Purple Jam

Binaural Speciailsts, Audio Game Creators, Sound Design Gurus, Compositional Savants, Trailer Developers, Purveyors of the Written Word.

Hear it all here: www.PurpleJamAudio.com
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 03:02:29 PM »

Audio is important but I like to take a holistic approach. Even if you want to make a game that focuses on audio, it would still be good to think about the rest of the design. Unless you are designing a game for visually impaired people. Even in that case, you want the UI to work with the tools that those people use.

But as with all ideas, its all about execution. I always wanted to make GTA in space. I'm sure that game would be a hit, assuming the monumental production work would be done correctly.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic