Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:20:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: BattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!  (Read 76838 times)
bram_dingelstad
Level 0

Always up for a chat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2021, 12:39:47 AM »

... Because of the way this camera is attached, the player can duck under their own portrait. I think this is quite funny and I I'll keep it as a feature.

It's this kind of stuff that adds an uncanny level of comedic polish haha
You could definitely make a joke about that, imagine one of the other NPC or bosses just straight up walking out of a conversation and their frame Cheesy

If you'd like to see something of my work check out:
The devlogs of the game I'm working on - My website/blog - My itch.io
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2021, 12:15:36 AM »

You could definitely make a joke about that, imagine one of the other NPC or bosses just straight up walking out of a conversation and their frame Cheesy

:D Yes, the idea of a character being offended or simply bored and leaving the frame is brilliant!

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2021, 01:20:41 AM »

I really like the realtime portraits in conversations.
Now add emotes to be able to have a complete nonverbal dialogue! Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2021, 01:31:43 AM »

Definitely should go on the "tech to carry over to next projects" list
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2021, 09:22:04 AM »

So little thing and so original. Very nice, and now seeing it, I ask: why no one came here with this before?

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2021, 12:06:27 AM »

So little thing and so original. Very nice, and now seeing it, I ask: why no one came here with this before?

Thanks you two, I'm glad you like the portraits. I came up with the idea because of Starcraft, although the animated portraits were pre-rendered there.

I like your less is more approach Wink Speaking of nonverbal dialogue: There is one particular character that actually can't talk and just looks at you in different ways, which is described when he "speaks". It is Plato, the companion I have just implemented. Plato also makes full use of the frame provided by the portrait:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2021, 01:11:11 AM »

Plato the platypus. You went there Facepalm Cheesy
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2021, 01:41:49 AM »

I like your less is more approach Wink Speaking of nonverbal dialogue: There is one particular character that actually can't talk and just looks at you in different ways, which is described when he "speaks". It is Plato, the companion I have just implemented. Plato also makes full use of the frame provided by the portrait:

Oh, that is cool. So you need to get to know his reactions to recognize his mood and then be able to tell whether he likes carrots more than hamburgers. I guess the jump is a jump of joy.
(I decided against saying that he looks a bit like a brain with legs in the portrait ^^)

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2021, 03:28:26 AM »

Thanks you two, I'm glad you like the portraits. I came up with the idea because of Starcraft, although the animated portraits were pre-rendered there.

Haha looks super funny when he jumps, but in a good way :D

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2021, 03:31:39 AM »

(I decided against saying that he looks a bit like a brain with legs in the portrait ^^)
I mean, he's named after one of the most famous philosophers in history so maybe that's not a coincidence Wink
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2021, 04:15:36 AM »

I mean, he's named after one of the most famous philosophers in history so maybe that's not a coincidence Wink

Brilliant! :D

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2021, 07:13:14 AM »

I find your NPC interaction design intriguing.

Will you add humor and/or weirdness as a core design pilar for this game?
Because your game got such a unique art style that I consider your visuals to be one of the core pillars and I am curious what type of pilar combo's do you plan to make and if they will change/adapt along with the development process.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2021, 11:20:52 PM »

Plato the platypus. You went there Facepalm Cheesy

I just had to :D

Actually, it was not intended, but I now see it looks a lot like a brain. I toned down the dark line in the center of his back a bit. Although him looking like a brain fits a lot, I'd prefer not to confuse people on their first glance. I have enough of visual confusion already Wink

I find your NPC interaction design intriguing.

Will you add humor and/or weirdness as a core design pilar for this game?
Because your game got such a unique art style that I consider your visuals to be one of the core pillars and I am curious what type of pilar combo's do you plan to make and if they will change/adapt along with the development process.

Thanks! There is a lot of weirdness going on in the story and the interaction. The weirdness I am going for is not super wack and self-referential like Spongebob but also not serious weirdness like X-Files. NPCs would not say "take this +1 dagger" but on the other hand they deal with serious life-altering issues in a pulpy way and quite used to the supernatural. I hope I somehow manage to make the world feel coherent in its own way.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2021, 02:47:05 AM »

Actually, it was not intended, but I now see it looks a lot like a brain. I toned down the dark line in the center of his back a bit. Although him looking like a brain fits a lot, I'd prefer not to confuse people on their first glance. I have enough of visual confusion already Wink

If you are curious what the less "brainy" Plato looks like, here we go! I think it is a nice little improvement and would not have seen the necessity if you guys hadn't pointed me into that direction Coffee

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2021, 03:04:32 AM »

Looks nice and less brainy now. Smiley
And... that's what I do best: Producing unexpected work for others. Smiley

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2021, 11:42:06 PM »

Looks nice and less brainy now. Smiley
And... that's what I do best: Producing unexpected work for others. Smiley

Hahaha, don't worry, it was great feedback of yours and only a couple of minutes of work Wink

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2021, 07:22:45 AM »

Original pet with original name, which sounds great in any language. Smiley Nice to meet you, Plato. Beer!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2021, 11:56:33 PM »

Original pet with original name, which sounds great in any language. Smiley Nice to meet you, Plato. Beer!

Plato gives you a friendly look. Then he returns to his usual business: waddling around and scratching his butt.

liva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2021, 02:10:41 AM »

I admire your commitment, your project seems huge but you managed to carry it, and now you got something really cool!

I have just a two little comments, and please dont take it wrong, but the player's character animation is not very appealing, and the camera movement feel a little bit to fixed to the character, I think that sometime a little delay would add a cool effect, especially when going up or down

I played a lot of action rpg (d2/d3/PoE), probably thousand hours, and having your character in front of you that long, you get to notice every details. And one thing for sure, the animations on those kind of games have to be nailed, every move, every skill used should be satisfying, even the idle animation.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 03:55:24 AM by liva » Logged

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2021, 04:01:54 AM »

I have just a two little comments, and please dont take it wrong, but the player's character animation is not very appealing, and the camera movement feel a little bit to fixed to the character, I think that sometime a little delay would add a cool effect, especially when going up or down

I totally agree that a camera move inertia would be a good idea!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic