Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:25:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: BattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!  (Read 76970 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2021, 05:54:28 AM »

Missed a couple of updates! Looking good. Ducking under the portrait is great. Cheesy And yay, platypus!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2021, 02:35:31 AM »

I have just a two little comments, and please dont take it wrong, but the player's character animation is not very appealing, and the camera movement feel a little bit to fixed to the character, I think that sometime a little delay would add a cool effect, especially when going up or down

I totally agree that a camera move inertia would be a good idea!

Thanks you two! This is exactly the feedback I need to improve. I added both the walk cycle and the camera movement to my to-do list.

Missed a couple of updates! Looking good. Ducking under the portrait is great. Cheesy And yay, platypus!

Thank you, I'm glad you like it Smiley

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2021, 05:58:47 AM »

First I have a little update: BattleJuice Alchemist made it to the semi-finals of WN Dev Contest, yeay!

The second thing is a new video, that might be interesting to quite some of you, I hope. I recently talked to Lewis Woodhouse, who worked at an indie game marketing agency for many years and now started his own. He shared with me some knowledge he gathered about how to brand video games. More specifically, we talk about branding sheets, which is a document that should run like a unifying thread though the development and marketing process.

Creating a branding sheet is something I had not done before, although I could (or maybe should?) have done it a long time ago when starting out with BattleJuice Alchemist. I took the exercise and Lewis gave me invaluable feedback.

I hope you like the video and have a great weekend!

Alain

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »

Really interesting. Normally I pass video devlogs, but this I found super interesting, mainly for other devs. Lot of useful info, very nice of you that you reached to Lewis and made this video with lot of useful info. Now I'm thinking forward how my branding sheet will look like. :D

And congrats to semi-finals of WN Dev Contest !! Gentleman

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2021, 07:24:06 AM »

And congrats to semi-finals of WN Dev Contest !! Gentleman

Thank you!

Really interesting. Normally I pass video devlogs, but this I found super interesting, mainly for other devs. Lot of useful info, very nice of you that you reached to Lewis and made this video with lot of useful info. Now I'm thinking forward how my branding sheet will look like. :D

It is great that you could take something from the video. I hope to have more talks like that in the future. They are super niche and won't be watched by many, but for those who are interested, they might be a nice help.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2021, 04:00:23 PM »

I watched the full length of the video, it was very informative, and I also appreciate the fact that the video was to the point.

Thank you!

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2021, 07:52:47 PM »

First I have a little update: BattleJuice Alchemist made it to the semi-finals of WN Dev Contest, yeay!

The second thing is a new video, that might be interesting to quite some of you...
Watched and liked the video, nice one.

Also, congrats for the contest! I checked the other games and it's fair to say that the bar is extremely high at this stage. Well done!

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2021, 01:49:08 AM »

Indeed! Grats for making it to the semi-finals. You seem to be in great company there, all awesome games.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2021, 03:52:13 AM »

I watched the full length of the video, it was very informative, and I also appreciate the fact that the video was to the point.

Watched and liked the video, nice one.

Nice, I'm glad the video was of some value to you!

Also, congrats for the contest! I checked the other games and it's fair to say that the bar is extremely high at this stage. Well done!

Indeed! Grats for making it to the semi-finals. You seem to be in great company there, all awesome games.

Thank you both! In deed, the bar is very high at this point and it is amazing for me as a solo dev to be "competing" with these games that are mainly made by studios and with a budget.

kevin andersson
Level 1

Producer/ Designer by day and Programmer by night

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2021, 12:43:35 AM »

ooh I'm going to watch that video! Glad to catch up on some updates!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2021, 11:53:28 PM »

ooh I'm going to watch that video! Glad to catch up on some updates!

Cool, I hope you can take something from the video and I'm happy you follow the progress Smiley

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2021, 01:42:57 AM »

Working like a crazy person to get the next video done until tomorrow. I even more feel like a slave of that algorithm since I heard it is very stingy about consistency  Shocked

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2021, 02:11:14 AM »

That's a scary picture Shocked

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2021, 02:17:37 AM »

The YT algorithm favoring people who upload regularly is a horrible, horrible thing
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2021, 04:52:10 AM »

Is that from Beetlejuice?

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2021, 05:57:34 AM »

Working like a crazy person to get the next video done until tomorrow. I even more feel like a slave of that algorithm since I heard it is very stingy about consistency  Shocked

Cool, I am looking forward to watching it!

What video editor do you use and how long does it take you to create a new video?

Usually my dev logs take me 1.5-2 evenings of work and that includes writing the script, recording audio and video, editing and adding the video to YT with English subtitles.

I see you put even more work into your videos than I do, but I hope it doesn't take you much more than that!

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2021, 07:48:00 AM »

Regarding YT algorithms. It's even worse than that. Apart from preferring regular uploads, it's adding some random element, to show your video to subscribers or to newcomers or as suggested video. Probably the goal is to make slot-machine like experience for content creators, time-to-time your video has lots of views and you gain subscribers, then nothing, but you want to repeat success, so you create more vids, etc..

My favorite Spanish youtuber (for things science and space exploration related) has left the platform because of those algorithms, as he exposed that YT is giving lot of weight to randomness to display your video or not. He has 1.4M subscribers and yet his new videos, even when made following all YT guidelines, with perfect click-through rates and perfect retention times was not showing even to his own subscribers, which led him to frustration.

My advice, don't be a slave of YT algorithms. If you like to create, then create and upload as it fits you.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2021, 07:59:34 AM »

Is that from Beetlejuice?

Yesss, you are on point Wink

What video editor do you use and how long does it take you to create a new video?

Usually my dev logs take me 1.5-2 evenings of work and that includes writing the script, recording audio and video, editing and adding the video to YT with English subtitles.

I see you put even more work into your videos than I do, but I hope it doesn't take you much more than that!

I'm using Premiere Pro. Btw. I'll do subtitles for this video for the first time, cool you are already doing that! It takes me a lot of time to make these, especially when there is filming involved. But when there is no filming, it is more work on the motion graphics side. I posted a rough estimation some time ago:

3h Concept & script
2h Setting up lights, camera etc. and disassemble again
1h Recording
2h Voice recording & editing
2h-4h Gameplay/screen recording
7h-12h Editing / motion design
1h-2h Fine cut / corrections
1h Rendering / exporting (different, versions, making a GIF)
1h Thumbnail
2h Uploading & posting on social media

Regarding YT algorithms. It's even worse than that. Apart from preferring regular uploads, it's adding some random element, to show your video to subscribers or to newcomers or as suggested video. Probably the goal is to make slot-machine like experience for content creators, time-to-time your video has lots of views and you gain subscribers, then nothing, but you want to repeat success, so you create more vids, etc..

My favorite Spanish youtuber (for things science and space exploration related) has left the platform because of those algorithms, as he exposed that YT is giving lot of weight to randomness to display your video or not. He has 1.4M subscribers and yet his new videos, even when made following all YT guidelines, with perfect click-through rates and perfect retention times was not showing even to his own subscribers, which led him to frustration.

My advice, don't be a slave of YT algorithms. If you like to create, then create and upload as it fits you.

Wow, that is scary, thanks for sharing vdapps! Your advice is very true, I'll try to become less of a slave of it.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2021, 09:32:08 AM »

I talked to @Ramos recently and he was like "bro, your Youtube videos need more emotions!"

Maybe this was not exactly what he said, but I am sure it was something like that. So I went on a journey into the depth of my mind.

I started the editing process as a caterpillar and came out as a beautiful butterfly.

Maybe I am exaggerating a bit here. Maybe I'm more like a Pokemon.

I, or at least the video, transformed and came out different. Maybe better, maybe worse - that's for you to decide.

I don't know much about Pokemons. So little that I had to look up that it is spelled "Pokémon". But I'm digressing.

Okay, maybe the video is not so different from my old ones. But be that as it may, it is a new GameDev Blip, yeay!

click GIF to watch on YouTube ↑ (4:12 min)

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2021, 10:52:28 AM »

Good video! For some reason I never made the connection between the names BattleJuice and Beetlejuice. Who, Me? Definitely a good way of explaining your vision for the game when compared to other games, like you said. Maybe Minecraft should just have its narration axis replaced with something to do with the crafting. Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:31:10 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic