Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:52:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: BattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!  (Read 77021 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2021, 11:24:52 AM »

For some reason I never made the connection between the names BattleJuice and Beetlejuice. Who, Me?
Shocked

OMG

I just got it too!
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2021, 08:12:31 PM »

I talked to @Ramos recently and he was like "bro, your Youtube videos need more emotions!"

Maybe this was not exactly what he said, but I am sure it was something like that. So I went on a journey into the depth of my mind.

I started the editing process as a caterpillar and came out as a beautiful butterfly.

Maybe I am exaggerating a bit here. Maybe I'm more like a Pokemon.

I, or at least the video, transformed and came out different. Maybe better, maybe worse - that's for you to decide.

I don't know much about Pokemons. So little that I had to look up that it is spelled "Pokémon". But I'm digressing.

Okay, maybe the video is not so different from my old ones. But be that as it may, it is a new GameDev Blip, yeay!

click GIF to watch on YouTube ↑ (4:12 min)

You did an amazing job there.
The video editing skills you have are godlike, continue to concentrate on your Youtube channel, it will be your top resourse.
Regarding content, I found that triangle design pattern very intriguing, I would love to be able to make one for my game too.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2021, 11:26:13 PM »

Maybe Minecraft should just have its narration axis replaced with something to do with the crafting. Cheesy

Thanks for watching Prinsessa! I kept the axes for the other games the same as for mine to have easy to understand points of reference. But your idea to have crafting on one axis for a game like Minecraft is very valid. That axis could be weighted just "<- simple vs. complex ->", but maybe you could come up to even more descriptive ones.

For some reason I never made the connection between the names BattleJuice and Beetlejuice. Who, Me?
Shocked

OMG

I just got it too!

That's funny, in my head this it is very obvious, but I like that the reference might not be too in the face. I wouldn't want everything in the game to scream Tim Burton.

You did an amazing job there.
The video editing skills you have are godlike, continue to concentrate on your Youtube channel, it will be your top resourse.
Regarding content, I found that triangle design pattern very intriguing, I would love to be able to make one for my game too.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm glad you like how the video turned out and I will keep going Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2021, 11:51:00 PM »

Well there's such a good in-world explanation for the title that I never questioned it, that might explain part of it Smiley
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2021, 07:46:12 AM »

Nice video! You're very talented as content creator. Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Video is made very well professionally so it almost diverge attention from the game itself! I used to create YT videos for some time but I never reached such level.

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2021, 07:48:01 AM »

Great video Alain!

If I were you I would also post it as a new thread in Design as it might interest many devs here, not just the ones following your game.

Keep the good work up!

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2021, 11:17:26 PM »

Nice video! You're very talented as content creator. Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Video is made very well professionally so it almost diverge attention from the game itself! I used to create YT videos for some time but I never reached such level.

Thanks, I'm glad you like the video and style! You are definitely right, this video especially takes away attention from the game. I could have elaborated a bit more on BattleJuice Alchemist in the end and I guess nobody would have thought this was an ad.

Great video Alain!

If I were you I would also post it as a new thread in Design as it might interest many devs here, not just the ones following your game.

Keep the good work up!

Thank you vivaladav! I only read the devlogs here and always find digging into the rest of this forum a bit intimidating. It would not have come to my attention that I could post these type of videos in Design, I will do that!

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2021, 03:27:46 AM »

No pressure but just wanted to ask when is your next video coming and what topic will it have?
 Cool

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2021, 11:15:17 PM »

No pressure but just wanted to ask when is your next video coming and what topic will it have?
 Cool

Man, you're really pushing me to be a good soldier Wink The next video will come in two weeks and will most likely be a devlog about what I have been up to for the last month or so. The work I am doing is pretty intense at the moment, though a lot of it is on stuff around the game, not the game itself.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: May 06, 2021, 11:20:28 PM »

After a lot of organizational stuff off the table, I'm happy to get back doing some work on the game itself. I started out with this lowpoly deer/caribou skull today. I love pushing vertices around, it feels like the most hands-on part of gamedev to me.

The mesh is not super accurate or realistic. But over the time working with the style I established for the game, I found that I can hide a lot of crimes by just slapping on a rough hand-drawn texture and get away with it most of the time. Gotta move fast Wink

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2021, 12:29:40 AM »

After a lot of organizational stuff off the table, I'm happy to get back doing some work on the game itself. I started out with this lowpoly deer/caribou skull today. I love pushing vertices around, it feels like the most hands-on part of gamedev to me.

The mesh is not super accurate or realistic. But over the time working with the style I established for the game, I found that I can hide a lot of crimes by just slapping on a rough hand-drawn texture and get away with it most of the time. Gotta move fast Wink

Woah Who, Me? looks really cool. Those antlers sure took a while, good job. I know it can be tricky to make something like this look natural, but it does. Maybe it's a bit too large and massive though. I could imagine this being a helmet for a dark shaman or something :D. That would be awesome. I guess this would also fit with your Tim Burton style.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2021, 01:06:56 AM »

I know it's just for development purposes, but there's something really ominous about the flat red shading Shocked
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2021, 01:18:12 AM »

I found that I can hide a lot of crimes by just slapping on a rough hand-drawn texture and get away with it most of the time

Big relate Cheesy Those antlers look fantastic!!

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2021, 08:49:08 AM »

Those antlers are awesome! Are you using Blender, or something else?

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2021, 10:06:05 AM »

I like it, would also enjoy seeing this animation on loading screens

I don't know how accurate the mesh but it sure does the job of adding a sort of creepiness and weirdness when rotating and combined with that red.

Looking forward to seeing the final iteration with the hand-drawn texture added.

SkyhammerSound
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2021, 11:15:57 AM »

I do everything myself: game design, programming, 3D and 2D assets, music and do not buy any assets. The exception are sound effects, but sound design comes from me as well.

Damn. I've dabbled a little in all these fields as well (emphasis on the word little, apart from music) and I certainly can appreciate someone doing all of those on this level and going to finish developing an RPG solo Shocked

Looks interesting, all the best for the rest of the development!

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2021, 11:57:13 AM »

Nice to see you're back on development and I am looking forward to seeing the textured version!

BTW, what is this? A new enemy? A fancy helmet? Something else?

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2021, 11:01:19 PM »

Woah Who, Me? looks really cool. Those antlers sure took a while, good job. I know it can be tricky to make something like this look natural, but it does. Maybe it's a bit too large and massive though. I could imagine this being a helmet for a dark shaman or something :D. That would be awesome. I guess this would also fit with your Tim Burton style.

Thanks! The modelling went really quick, but unwrapping the antlers was quite a pain Wink I had not considered it to be reused as a helmet, but definitely will now.

I know it's just for development purposes, but there's something really ominous about the flat red shading Shocked

Funny that you mention it: I had the gif ready to be posted, but then I changed the color to red and re-recorded it. Maybe I should keep the red for further meshes.

Big relate Cheesy Those antlers look fantastic!!

Thank you! I always think your meshes look a lot cleaner than mine btw.

Those antlers are awesome! Are you using Blender, or something else?

Thank you! I'm using 3ds Max.

I don't know how accurate the mesh but it sure does the job of adding a sort of creepiness and weirdness when rotating and combined with that red.

Looking forward to seeing the final iteration with the hand-drawn texture added.

Thanks! I'll make a quick follow-up post here. The antlers are one of the new central set pieces of the starting town, which I am reworking at the moment.

Damn. I've dabbled a little in all these fields as well (emphasis on the word little, apart from music) and I certainly can appreciate someone doing all of those on this level and going to finish developing an RPG solo Shocked

Looks interesting, all the best for the rest of the development!

I'm glad you like it and thanks for the praise. I am currently exploring thoughts on which areas of the game I can get some helping hands involved (QA, marketing etc.). I'll elaborate on that a bit in my next devlog. But the good thing is that I know I can finish the game all by myself.

BTW, what is this? A new enemy? A fancy helmet? Something else?

Thanks vivaladav! This is the central set-piece of the starting town, which I am "re-branding" as Caribou Creek at the moment. I'll talk a bit about this decision a bit in the next devlog video. Damn, I really have to get started working on that Wink

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2021, 11:40:15 PM »

I got talking to @Frece from this forum, the dev of Exodition on Discord a bit. We are both working in 3D in Unreal, so we exchanged some images. I thought why not share mine here as well, because this is what a devlog is about, right? I tend to see my posts here way to formal Wink

Here we go, gif dump!

These are two meshes that I just made while "re-branding" the starting town. Nothing too fancy, just a little hut and a roll of hay. They show the level of detail of my meshes well, which is really quite low poly.

I can't help it and also want to show something a bit more elaborate. Here is the mesh of the Nightmare, which is the boss you fight at the end of the current build on Steam:

If you are familiar with skinning and rigging, you might realize that those fingers won't deform well. That is true and they won't be deformed. I do not use any skinning/vertex weighting in BattleJuice Alchemist. All animated meshes are segmented, so every body part is a seperate mesh and won't deform. This was a stylistic choice, but also a practical one to be able to make meshes and characters quickly.

Btw. the red cel shading + wireframe is my trademark now thanks to @JobLeonard Wink

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2021, 03:16:19 AM »

Beautiful work on the boss design, I want to see him in the final version, do not forget to show us a before-after texture iteration of it.

Also, this red, If I did not know your game I would say you were going for a horror vibe

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic