Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:57:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: BattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!  (Read 77037 times)
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2021, 11:29:02 PM »

Also, this red, If I did not know your game I would say you were going for a horror vibe

I'd say this is a good thing: there are quite a lot of horror elements, like demons, blood magic, foggy graveyards etc in the game. Although the game is not scary like a survival horror game or something like that, the themes are in there.

As a quick follow-up to yesterday's gif dump: The hut and hay roll are textured and in the game now Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 11, 2021, 12:38:06 AM »

Woah, great job on making the hay look like there are actually individual strands poking out in front!

Wondering if it's a coincidence that the boss has a silhouette similar to the player character… Blink

Thank you! I always think your meshes look a lot cleaner than mine btw.

The buildings maybe but my organics are horrible, think I'll find some prerigged base with good topology when I start doing the characters for real Cheesy Of course that's less of a worry with your animation method, and it works really well for your game, I definitely can't tell the pieces are separated!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2021, 01:07:59 AM »

I gues it's more like Tim Burtonesque camp horror, right? Smiley
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2021, 06:39:24 AM »

@JobLeonard, now yes, when you mentioned it, I'm also seeing Tim Burton style in the game. Smiley Which is good as Tim Burton = atmosphere.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2021, 07:53:36 AM »

I gues it's more like Tim Burtonesque camp horror, right? Smiley

@JobLeonard, now yes, when you mentioned it, I'm also seeing Tim Burton style in the game. Smiley Which is good as Tim Burton = atmosphere.

Yes, Burton is a very big inspiration. The game does not ooze Tim Burton like Don't Starve, but still I borrow a lot. Especially the swirly swirls Wink

Woah, great job on making the hay look like there are actually individual strands poking out in front!

Wondering if it's a coincidence that the boss has a silhouette similar to the player character… Blink

Thanks Smiley Yes, that actually is just a coincidence. But it is an interesting implication nevertheless Wink

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2021, 05:31:32 AM »

As a quick follow-up to yesterday's gif dump: The hut and hay roll are textured and in the game now Smiley

And that's going to be your next winning #screenshotsaturday post!

Make sure to post it with a link to your Steam page with UTM tracking and let's see what happens... Cool

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2021, 11:06:33 PM »

And that's going to be your next winning #screenshotsaturday post!

Make sure to post it with a link to your Steam page with UTM tracking and let's see what happens... Cool

I would not have done that, thanks for the input! I feel like it is very hard for me to see which screenshots/gifs work and which don't, so I guess I'll check in with others more in the future.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2021, 10:05:39 AM »

BATTLEJUICE ALCHEMIST DEVLOG:
Rethinking a Town and Items

I've got another DevLog video for you! As always, I'd like to tell you a little bit about what I have been up to for the last couple of weeks.

The biggest change within the game was that the starting town "Cherokee Creek" is now "Caribou Creek". I had to admit to myself that I have very little understanding of Native American culture and could end up rehashing stereotypes. I would not want to be disrespectful to anybody, which is why I removed references to Native American culture. I feel like I simply could not do it in a proper way. I think I came up with new imagery that hopefully is not hurtful to anyone and even more in tune with the general theme of BattleJuice Alchemist.

There have also been changes to items, that I briefly go over in this video. They are all detailed in the patch notes, which will be released as soon as the new build goes live on the Steam playtest. If you want to play before the Steam playtest officially goes public, just join the Discord and send me a message.

Have a nice weekend!

Alain

click GIF to watch on YouTube ↑ (3:05 min)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 03:12:53 AM by Alain » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2021, 10:18:31 AM »

Nice update!

And yeah, probably for the best that you removed the Native American stuff. It's really hard to know what is part of their culture and what is bad stereotyping from Westerns for us Europeans
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: May 14, 2021, 09:32:59 PM »

And yeah, probably for the best that you removed the Native American stuff. It's really hard to know what is part of their culture and what is bad stereotyping from Westerns for us Europeans

That was exactly my thought. My original idea was that people in this town are post-race, which is why people from different backgrounds live together there. I will still keep that thought and try to be as sensitive as I can when including any cultural references.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2021, 12:17:27 AM »

> post-race

Eh... I know you mean well but yeah, that won't hold WTF. I mean, it's easily mistaken for typical "I don't see race"-naivety of white people (and quite often genuinely a case of it).

You might want to check out Kat Blaque's "White History Month" series (originally shared elsewhere on this board by gimymblert) to get a bit of an idea of just how much worse racial history is in the US than any of us were taught in history class:

I was quite shocked when I first watched it. And this mainly talks about how being "white" has always been about excluding "non-white" people, Native Americans aren't even in this series (I wish I had something equivalent to it that went into that history, because I'm admittedly still really naive about that history).
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2021, 09:47:24 AM »

The hut texture proves again the originality of the art style.

Shame on me for finding that you have a Discord room only now after watching your latest video.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2021, 10:39:15 AM »

> post-race

Eh... I know you mean well but yeah, that won't hold WTF. I mean, it's easily mistaken for typical "I don't see race"-naivety of white people (and quite often genuinely a case of it).

I see what you mean and I agree. It is such a complex topic and I feel like my view indeed is very naive, especially with regards to American history.

You might want to check out Kat Blaque's "White History Month" series (originally shared elsewhere on this board by gimymblert) to get a bit of an idea of just how much worse racial history is in the US than any of us were taught in history class.

Thank you, I just watched the video. The whole channel seems great and I will have a deeper look!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2021, 10:40:52 AM »

Shame on me for finding that you have a Discord room only now after watching your latest video.

I'm glad you found it :D

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2021, 11:28:33 PM »

Today is May 21st 2021 and it is BattleJuice Alchemist's birthday! It was three years ago to the day that I set up a new Unreal project and started prototyping.

It has been quite a ride and there is much, much more left to do. And there are many cool things to come this year. The first will be that the Steam Playtest will open up to the public soon, which I am very excited about.

Thank you for following me along this journey and supporting me!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2021, 11:42:23 PM »

Congratulations!! Coffee

logophil
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2021, 04:40:43 AM »

Today is May 21st 2021 and it is BattleJuice Alchemist's birthday! It was three years ago to the day that I set up a new Unreal project and started prototyping.

Happy birthday! I'm impressed you know the precise day you set up the project, that shows your attention to detail!

It has been quite a ride and there is much, much more left to do. And there are many cool things to come this year. The first will be that the Steam Playtest will open up to the public soon, which I am very excited about.

That is exciting, I'm also planning to transition to Steam playtest sometime soon, so I'm curious - are you planning to restrict access initially or make it fully open?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2021, 04:43:33 AM »

that shows your attention to detail!
Nah that's just him being German Tongue

Jokes aside, congratulations! Coffee
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2021, 10:31:42 AM »

That is exciting, I'm also planning to transition to Steam playtest sometime soon, so I'm curious - are you planning to restrict access initially or make it fully open?

I think there is no danger of being swarmed by players in my case, which is why I guess I'll be able to let in everybody in the beginning.

that shows your attention to detail!
Nah that's just him being German Tongue

Jokes aside, congratulations! Coffee

:D Thanks. I am not very German in many ways but in this case you nailed it, I totally am. I might have mentioned it: I logged every hour I put into the game, so I know exactly when I started and what I did that day Wink

A little birthday update: I got a really nice present. BattleJuice Alchemist was awarded Best Game by DDM within the WN Dev contest. DDM is just a great partner and they have supported me intensely over the last couple of months. I am super thankful for that and now the award.

EDIT: Here is an article about all the great games that won awards:
https://gameworldobserver.com/2021/05/21/winners-of-wn-dev-contest-for-unreal-engine-developers-revealed
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 10:40:35 AM by Alain » Logged

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2021, 12:17:32 PM »

Congratulations!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic