Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:38:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: BattleJuice Alchemist – Now in Early Access!  (Read 77044 times)
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2021, 10:33:10 AM »

It all looks great! I totally agree that it's nice to have a dayjob so the focus of the game is to have fun! Subscribed!

Thank you Smiley

Love the channel trailer! I've been kinda skimming through most of your progress thusfar, but haven't had the chance to view your videos yet. I'll def try to watch them soon!

Thanks, I'm happy you plan to watch some of the videos!

Love the energy you're putting out and being realistic about your expectations, I think we need more of that in this community vs the "indie game dream" you referenced.

You are right. I don't know the exact definition, of the indie game dream, but I think you are right. I think there are only very few who are really made for that "indie game dream" because ultimately to achieve it you need to be extremely dedicated and also need to make lots of sacrifices. I mean you always can just be lucky, but you can't count on that. It's a hard job. For everyone else, I think it's best to just enjoy the process and be realistic with your expectations.

In my opinion you can put all the work and dedication in the world into a project and still it will not be a financial success. There are always factors that you can't control. There are people who make great games from start to finish, but there is just not an audience big enough to make it a commercially valid product at the time of the release, for example. In my case realistic expectations means that I try to be happy with the work on the game, even if it does not pay out financially in the end. As a side note, I must admit that there are times where I don't enjoy parts of the solo gamedev gig, too. Also, different people obviously have different goals. I for myself want to keep a financial safety net and I hope this also gives me the freedom to make decisions I would not be able to make if I needed BattleJuice Alchemist to pay my rent one day Wink

Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2021, 12:13:32 PM »

In my opinion, you can put all the work and dedication in the world into a project, and still, it will not be a financial success. There are always factors that you can't control.

That's exactly what I mean. You can fail, even though you gave it all, but if game dev really is what you want to do, you will try again and again and again. That's what I mean by dedication. That you are not doing it to land the next hit, but because you love to make games.

In my case realistic expectations means that I try to be happy with the work on the game, even if it does not pay out financially in the end.

Honestly, I recently realized just that. I was a bit too focused on youtube subs, success, numbers in general, and compared myself too much. Somebody once told me that what makes you unhappy the most is if you compare yourself to others. And it's true. Since I stopped that I feel much better and am more balanced and also have more fun working. But honestly, it's hard to let go of those numbers, if you try to make your game a success, but I try. It's hard but soo important.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2021, 12:17:09 AM »

That's exactly what I mean. You can fail, even though you gave it all, but if game dev really is what you want to do, you will try again and again and again. That's what I mean by dedication. That you are not doing it to land the next hit, but because you love to make games.

I see! I think I misunderstood you a a bit. I totally agree to what you are saying.

Honestly, I recently realized just that. I was a bit too focused on youtube subs, success, numbers in general, and compared myself too much. Somebody once told me that what makes you unhappy the most is if you compare yourself to others. And it's true. Since I stopped that I feel much better and am more balanced and also have more fun working. But honestly, it's hard to let go of those numbers, if you try to make your game a success, but I try. It's hard but soo important.

This is also very true, comparing yourself can be very toxic and I do it, too. The strange thing to me is the following: Let's say I can run a mile in 10 minutes. It's fine, not world record material, but okay. I'd not give myself credit for that a lot but look at better runners and always seeing my shortcomings. There will always be somebody who is faster. Even if I get really good, I'll not be able to compete with younger, professional athletes. Now, on the other hand, if a friend told me they can run a mile in 10 minutes, I'd say that this is great and really mean it. I'd feel proud of them that they exercise and have a fun activity going on and would consider them successful. Giving myself that kind of credit and feeling proud is really hard. I heard that our brain tends to weigh praise ten times less than negative criticism, so we need to be told that we are doing fine ten times more often to keep a positive balance. I guess this is why places like this forum are so important Wink

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2021, 11:09:08 AM »

I got a question for you kind sir

How much do you hope/expect to make in the first year of sales to break even with the development?
(units/income)

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2021, 11:00:45 PM »

How much do you hope/expect to make in the first year of sales to break even with the development?
(units/income)

I have never released a game on Steam before. Of course, I have heard some numbers of others, but I feel like this is sooo hard to compare, because projects are so vastly different. This is why I think it is most realistic to think I will not break even ever. The money I put in is miniscule, so I'm not accounting for that and we can just talk about the hours of work, which I track. I just cracked the mark of 4000 hours put into this project (including everything around it, not just development time). It will be ~1000 more until the launch of the early access and another ~1500 until the release. With the ~500 wishlists I am currently at it would be wishful thinking I will break even. I'd have to sell tens of thousands of units to get into the ballplark of the game being a financial success. Of course, I hope for some luck and the game getting some traction and try the best I can to promote it. But I am not counting on that at all, it is just not realistic. BattleJuice Alchemist is not a project I work on to make money, but to get started with gamedev as a second "job". I'd love for my work on games to make me some dime one day and maybe I can build on that, but I'll see this when I get there.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2021, 04:57:27 AM »

(units/income)

I have never released a game on Steam before. Of course, I have heard some numbers of others, but I feel like this is sooo hard to compare, because projects are so vastly different. This is why I think it is most realistic to think I will not break even ever. The money I put in is miniscule, so I'm not accounting for that and we can just talk about the hours of work, which I track. I just cracked the mark of 4000 hours put into this project (including everything around it, not just development time). It will be ~1000 more until the launch of the early access and another ~1500 until the release. With the ~500 wishlists I am currently at it would be wishful thinking I will break even. I'd have to sell tens of thousands of units to get into the ballplark of the game being a financial success. Of course, I hope for some luck and the game getting some traction and try the best I can to promote it. But I am not counting on that at all, it is just not realistic. BattleJuice Alchemist is not a project I work on to make money, but to get started with gamedev as a second "job". I'd love for my work on games to make me some dime one day and maybe I can build on that, but I'll see this when I get there.

Nice, we think alike in this subject. Long term investment

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2021, 05:43:19 AM »

Hey there! I have some great news: BattleJuice Alchemist made it to the quaterfinals of the WN Dev Contest!

It is a contest "celebrating the talent of UE game developers" and a jury selects winners for prizes that are sponsored by dozens of companies from the industry such as Epic Games, Tencent Games and Xsolla. The one I care a lot about is sponsored by Skystone Games, because it may include some creative guidance from David Brevik, one of the creators of Diablo and Diablo II.

There is also a public vote and if you want to support me, you can follow the link below and click on the thumbs up icon (no registration or anything).

https://wndevcontest-games.wnhub.io/1281

Thank you as always for your support and have a great weekend!

- Alain

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2021, 07:00:50 AM »

Wooo! Good luck!  Coffee
Phodex Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2021, 09:25:36 AM »

Hey there! I have some great news: BattleJuice Alchemist made it to the quaterfinals of the WN Dev Contest!

It is a contest "celebrating the talent of UE game developers" and a jury selects winners for prizes that are sponsored by dozens of companies from the industry such as Epic Games, Tencent Games and Xsolla. The one I care a lot about is sponsored by Skystone Games, because it may include some creative guidance from David Brevik, one of the creators of Diablo and Diablo II.

There is also a public vote and if you want to support me, you can follow the link below and click on the thumbs up icon (no registration or anything).

- Alain

Very cool Smiley. Good luck man! I voted that's for sure  Wink

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2021, 01:38:42 AM »

voted Smiley
not sure what that image depicts, looks like legs hanging out of a cauldron.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2021, 03:06:26 AM »

Maybe it's a reference to Getting Over It Grin
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2021, 10:47:23 AM »

Thanks to all of you, it's so cool you have my back Smiley

voted Smiley
not sure what that image depicts, looks like legs hanging out of a cauldron.

Hahaha, I've been staring at my game for so long that I didn't even realize that this screenshot is quite unreadable. It actually shows my protagonist Juice, who has just leveled up and throws his arms up into the air. There is also cauldron is dangling from his back Wink

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2021, 11:24:52 AM »

- Alain

VOTE 24 now
Good luck Alain!

bram_dingelstad
Level 0

Always up for a chat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2021, 02:09:22 AM »

Voted! Best of luck buddy. Sounds like a really nice opportunity to learn a lot!

If you'd like to see something of my work check out:
The devlogs of the game I'm working on - My website/blog - My itch.io
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2021, 12:38:06 AM »

Thanks Ramos & Bram! I don't stand a chance against the thousands of votes that some of the games had within hours. But I am the proud underdog here and maybe I have a small chance that some people in the jury enjoy my game.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2021, 04:00:29 AM »

Ramos & Bram
Sounds like an excellent name for a shop, btw
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2021, 04:05:04 AM »

Ramos & Bram
Sounds like an excellent name for a shop, btw

Sure, and we can sell hope and broken dreams

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2021, 01:17:50 PM »

Hopefully, I'm not late to the party. Voted!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2021, 12:01:29 AM »

Hopefully, I'm not late to the party. Voted!

You're not Wink Thank you for the support!

CoolDown Studio
Level 0

Developing Geadows.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2021, 01:50:00 AM »

We voted for you! The game looks fun and interesting and we hope to see more about the development and play it!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic