Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1395326 Posts in 67253 Topics- by 60319 Members - Latest Member: Floseidon

September 20, 2021, 11:16:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralShare your secrets on maintaining motivation to finish a project
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Share your secrets on maintaining motivation to finish a project  (Read 2386 times)
ENAY
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2020, 08:48:41 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum Smiley

So this is my first post. I'm writing a game in my spare time outside of work, sometimes finding it hard to keep focused. Especially since I recently became a dad and of course all this Covid nonsense constantly going on in the background..

I don't normally post much on the Internet, usually because it often ends up becoming a time sink.
Booting up e-mails and forums etc while Visual Studio loads, often ends up like I waste chunks of time and not concentrating so I am constantly alt and tabbing windows when I shouldn't be. But yet not being on active for forums in years, also seems like a bad idea, trapped in my own bubble.

I really enjoy game programming but man, you have to spend a lot of time at a PC in order to get much done, especially since if it is only you working on your game, if you don't do it, then nobody will.

I usually go for a 15 minute walk and do nothing in particular, or sometimes just some stretches, leave the computer for short breaks.

Anyone have any good tips to stay motivated?

Cheers Smiley
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 9

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 10:05:42 PM »

One thing I like to do is keep a streak going in my source control for the project. See: https://gitlab.com/doomlaser

@doomlaser, mark johns
marcAKAmarc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 06:51:40 AM »

No tips really, sorry.  As a hobbyist, motivation isn't a big part of the shtick for me.  I pretty much am naturally always brainstorming, and when an idea feels good, I do the development work for it.  When I am low on ideas, I have no motivation to work on the game... but I have always viewed that as a good thing.  No need to try to say something when I have nothing to say.

This would obviously be different if I had time sensitive ambitions.

michaelplzno
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 09:40:47 PM »

no code yesterday @golds?

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 9

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 03:49:46 AM »

There was 1 contribution on the 8th Smiley.

@doomlaser, mark johns
michaelplzno
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 04:00:27 PM »

Computers: the biggest liars of all.

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM »

One thing I like to do is keep a streak going in my source control for the project. See: https://gitlab.com/doomlaser

never break the streak
https://github.com/markefus

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 9

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »

never break the streak
https://github.com/markefus

I'm impressed.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Ioni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 04:04:30 AM »

Write or sketch ideas, like with an actual pen on paper. Maybe somewhere surrounded by nature, without much interference. Alternatively, listen to some music you enjoy and think how you would tie it to your project somehow if you could do that.
fishtaco567
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 12:14:02 PM »

I like having a number of different things I can work on at any given time, so if I lose motivation on one I can pop over to another. For example, right now I've got a giant list of sounds, a few pieces of music, a boss, a puzzle, and some level design I could work on. This might be a bit overwhelming for some people but the variation really helps me keep on the project and stave off burnout!

I also like sharing progress with friends and on social media. Whenever I'm working on a feature I really look forward to finishing it and having something to show off, and it gets kind of addictive!

Levathia Bound Devlog - A Metroidvania

Everything's procedurally generated if you think about it.
LucierBlazquiz
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 05:52:39 AM »

If you have confidence issues that cause you to purge projects in early stages, have somebody you trust hold a copy for your sake.
sambloom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 01:52:26 AM »

Personally, the best way to keep motivation for me has always been to destruct my project into a set of smaller but still extensive S.M.A.R.T. goals. Then when I got these goals I document tasks for each module I would need to create to realize that goal (usually writing Trello board cards is sufficient documentation for tasks). When I'm done, I confirm that realizing the tasks would end up with me realizing the goal, and when I've realized all my goals I've realized my dream (which is to finish the project). I got some experience in development, so I can sort of give a rough estimate on how long each task would take. When I've set a time on each task, I can then put them into my schedule: Let's say I have 20 hours a week to spare for my own project, well then I got 20 hours each week to fit my tasks into. When I've filled my weeks with all of the tasks, I now have a set date in the future for when my dream will become reality.

Basically it's IT project management done lightly and just for one self, but that is how I get motivated and avoid giving up
Insculpo
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 11:10:21 PM »

One thing I’ve done is sometimes have smaller sub goals in a project that I can say I succeeded in achieving to boost morale. 

LiamoBe
Level 0

Im Liam! And i am a Conten Creator. How about you?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2021, 11:42:27 PM »

Hi! I can totally understand your concern and really what i would recommend is getting in routine and speak to God everyday now and then thrue out the day!

Liam Beran
els
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2021, 02:08:09 PM »

I made it more of a habit to pick up old projects again, and to reuse more code. That counteracts abandoning a lot a little

just a coding gal
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic