Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:49:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting2.5D side scroller puzzle game - Figaro
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2.5D side scroller puzzle game - Figaro  (Read 946 times)
charlielucyl
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2020, 02:29:36 AM »

Grin Hello and welcome to our game Figaro Grin

A 2.5d side scroller puzzle game where you must save Figaro the puppy from its abusive owners, your neighbours.

Please check out our itch page to view and download the game:
https://charlieslucyl.itch.io/figaro

Feel free to leave us some feed back.
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 06:26:38 AM »

Animation, visuals and music are great. Reminds me of old CGA-games, but with a modern style.

Some ideas for improvements:
- I found the tank controls (up goes forward, left/right rotate the character) ackward. Slow turning makes the situation even worse and when the character disappears behind another object, it is hard to know which direction it is heading. Perhaps you should at least add an option where A takes the character to right, D to the left etc. (and the character is rotated automatically).
- Help texts rotate with the corresponding objects, which makes them hard to read. Texts should always face the camera in order to be readable.
- Give the user better feedback on actions performed. Now 'E' and 'F' keys seem unresponsive at times, and I keep dying unexpectedly in room three.

The game is clearly in its infancy and despite the issues, it is an interesting concept and well worth developing. Physics engine gives lots of room for different game mechanics: hiding behind furniture, avoiding collisions with things that make noise, ...

I look forward to the future versions.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
PseudoFanboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 02:51:19 AM »

I agree with the tank controls issue, it would make moving easier if walking in very precise directions was a key element of the game, but it doesn't look like that's the case.
The help text being obscured by the character is also a difficulty. Text being visible through the player (or even displayed on a canvas and moved/sized depending on the position of the object) would make learning the new controls a lot easier.
I believe using 'e' on things that let you 'store' things gives you something, but there's no way of knowing what, how many, or if you even still have them. An icon for each item you're storing in the corner of the screen would be enough to convey what's being held.

Losing to rats and people didn't really read as anything happening. I assume the rats were biting and the person was attacking, but there was no indication that anything bad was happening. It needs a sound, visual effect, stumble backwards etc. from the player character to indicate something has affected them.

Pushing things is good as a puzzle solution - though objects only being pushable in one direction breaks immersion as far as having a pushing animation play while clearly pulling something - but having different keys for every type of action is going to make it hard to remember the controls later when I want to try something to solve a puzzle. Pushing can be done anywhere at all as an action, as well, which makes for an interesting visual.

The third room, as mobilelast said, has the player character die randomly. I'm sure there's a reason for it happening but it isn't conveyed to the player in any way so it looks like it's happening sporadically. Looking at the gifs on your itch page, it looks like the man in the room is shooting projectiles, but they aren't showing up in the game. Their visibility may be being messed with, or a shader not working right, but right now the only thing the player seems to be in danger of is time as that's what it feels like the problem is.
Without much explanation for anything else that exists or is happening (the candy jars, rats, the story only conveyed on the itch page etc.), a solution to whatever puzzle is being presented is very difficult to imagine. What the puzzle is in the third room is equally confusing - he doesn't want candy, does he want something else? Is his presence the problem? His mood? Do we need to push him? Find something else from the identical object receptacles in the room to give him? Sprint across the room to open the door before the room kills you? If any of these were right I was either attempting them wrong or ran out of time to figure it out before the invisible timer got me.

That being said, the tone and art style does draw me in. The character models don't fit with the aesthetic but the look of the objects in the world and the color choices do look real nice. It reads a little supernatural, which drew me in, but from what I've played and read on the itch page it doesn't look to be the case. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I was expecting something to get Lovecraftian. If I could beat the camo-shorts boy I'd probably find out, but unfortunately I don't have the means to.

Also, there aren't any collision boxes on the walls enclosing the first area, and the outline shader/effect you're using is very visibly just projected polygons, which is only noticable on low-poly objects but there are enough of them that it's obviously not an outline.

rayharry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 12:29:20 AM »

Howdy! I tried the build, and I'm sure others have pointed this out but: you should name your game something else besides "New Unity Project" inside the Player Settings in Unity Smiley

In the game for some reason the fps was below 10, and it made the game quite hard to play. Adding resolution and quality options into the Settings menu would maybe tackle this issue! Also, when you move from main menu into the game, you could put a little box on screen that says "Loading" or something.

The graphics do seem nice though, and the art direction is unique. Too bad about the rest of the game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic