Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:20:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralQuestion for those who use Godot Engine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Question for those who use Godot Engine  (Read 3305 times)
DarudLingilien
Level 0

No tengo luz, CANTV no sirve

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2020, 09:07:33 AM »

Hello everyone, I made my first games in GameMaker Studio, it is good and easy to learn. However, it is always nice to have "another option" so I started researching other game engines. Obviously Unity was another option (in fact it's the most popular), but then I found Godot. I found it interesting so I downloaded it and am currently learning how to use it. When looking for the languages ​​used to program scripts in godot they were C# and GDScript, the latter being the engine itself.

So that's the question: C# or GDScript?, which one do you use?  Who, Me?

I know C#, but I can also learn GDSript.

If I don't answer, I don't have internet or electricity.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 10:59:58 AM »

I don't qualify, because I don't use Godot. But I'd suggest C# anyways. Because it's a common programming language also widely used outside of Godot. So you're not locking in to some tech, some of your knowledge will carry over if you ever decide to pursuit different goals.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Foxwarrior
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 03:41:53 PM »

GDScript is quite similar to Python, so it's not locking you into godot that much.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 12:12:13 AM »

Fair point. With that in mind I still suggest choosing C# because using a dynamically typed language such as Python is going to bite you in the back if you code grows beyond a few thousand lines.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 07:14:29 AM »

I would not worry about dynamic typing, because if it scares you, you can still code everything statically (var my_var would be dynamic, but var my_var:float is statically typed and works as you would expect).

For C# you will need to code in an external editor, which makes the workflow a little more tedious (extra tedious for beginners). Mostly for this reason I recommend using GDScript, which you can use inside Godot. Script functions are calling internal C++ methods anyway, which means that GDScript might be in most cases slightly more performant than C# (but that's a bit of my perspective).
(Note: Most performant would be C/C++ itself, but that's also the "most difficult language".)

For me the only downside of using GDScript might be that no non-gaming company (like the guys who make banking/financial systems) will care much that you have a knowledge of it, even though it's based off python. (However this does not apply if you have enough experience in other languages as well - at that point, every little experience counts.)

If you're interested, you can read more about Godot's scripting languages in the documentation. Wink
(You can actually use all of them throughout your project. Just don't use VisualScript, it won't be supported in Godot 4.x)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 06:37:33 AM by DarkGran » Logged
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 05:01:36 AM »

GDScript is a nice litte language. If you need something faster you can use C++ as well in Godot. But I suspect for most games GDScript is fast enough. Scripts tend to be small enough that I would not worry about the dynamic types even if I was the kind of person that ever worried about that. They say GDScript will be much faster in Godot 4.0 and there is some kind of optional static typing now.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic